• HTML tutorial

highvoltagek9

Rank 0

Contributor I

Idaho
First Name
Angelica
Last Name
Hi everyone! I have searched endlessly on the internet for answers but with no avail. I currently have a set of XBull recovery boards that I would like to mount to my Sherpa Rack. The rack does not have the drop in points like the Prinsu. What is the best way to go about this?
Picture of my truck for tax. I’d like the boards going the same way as the Plano case.

Attachments

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Why not mount them on the box? Bolts screwed through the box with a o-ring, washer and nut to keep in place. Tighten wing nut and washer to hold the boards in place.

Reactions: Dusther210

highvoltagek9

Rank 0

Contributor I

Idaho
First Name
Angelica
Last Name
Why not mount them on the box? Bolts screwed through the box with a o-ring, washer and nut to keep in place. Tighten wing nut and washer to hold the boards in place.
I don't want to make the extra holes in the case. Plus, I have the extra room next to it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Reactions: Desert Runner

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have the same boards and there seems no after market mount like for Maxtracks. I currently use a rifle case to store mine and made holes to mount to my Yakima rack.

Last edited:
Reactions: highvoltagek9

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

How about some steel strips with u bolts to hold to the crossmember with bolts through the steel and the xbulls?

highvoltagek9

Rank 0

Contributor I

Idaho
First Name
Angelica
Last Name
Would this be able to work horizontally? I’m looking at it now and it would have to be 4 different metal strips
How about some steel strips with u bolts to hold to the crossmember with bolts through the steel and the xbulls?

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Hi everyone! I have searched endlessly on the internet for answers but with no avail. I currently have a set of XBull recovery boards that I would like to mount to my Sherpa Rack. The rack does not have the drop in points like the Prinsu. What is the best way to go about this?
Picture of my truck for tax. I’d like the boards going the same way as the Plano case.
@highvoltagek9

You have a few options.
1) You can undo the 2 end bolts and slip in Nuts or T-bolts for mounting accessories from the end.
2) You can drill out a couple of holes to widen the gap and allow nuts or T-bolts to be inserted (This is how Prinsu and some others do it)
3) Sherpa offers something called a "Drop in T-Nut" (Drop-In T-Nut) which can be slipped into the channel and then biases to the channel lips as you tighten a 1/4"x20tpi bolt into it.

It should not be difficult to modify the techniques used by @Wanderlost Overland in the Video that @TahoePPV posted using any of the above methods to secure the pins to your cross bars.

Sherpa also offers a pair of Traction Board Mounts. I know they are for Maxtrax but if they will not work for your Xbulls I'd carefully measure the hole spacing on your traction boards and get in touch with Sherpa to see if they can add holes with the correct spacing to the existing product. In my experience Hayden and the team there have been very responsive to product design improvements.

Boort

Last edited:

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
What did you make the bracket out of? I've been thinking about making something similar, but haven't gotten to it yet. Right now my boards are ratchet strapped to the side of my trailer.
The brackets are just flat pieces of metal withe holes drilled into them and then lengths of threaded rod with nuts and washers used as posts.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
The brackets are just flat pieces of metal withe holes drilled into them and then lengths of threaded rod with nuts and washers used as posts.
Thanks for the info. I should have clarified the question though. Steel, or aluminum?

Reactions: GLOCKer

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
A couple of 1/4" bolts with rubber vacuum caps (or you could use 1/4" ID vacuum or fuel line). Pictures tell the story. I have two pairs of X-bulls. Sometimes they are on the lid of my trailer (first two pictures); sometimes they are on the roof (crossbars) of my truck (3rd and 4th picture); but most of the time they are inside my roof rack on top of the Jeep (last picture). All three mounts are the same design with bolts and vacuum caps. They are strapped down with 1" NRS straps. The bolts only need to be long enough to capture the bottom X-bull since they stack on top of each other.X-bull.8.jpgX-bull.6.jpgTruck rack.2.jpgroof rack truck.2.jpgShovel.1.jpg

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
A couple of 1/4" bolts with rubber vacuum caps. Pictures tell the story. I have two pairs of X-bulls. Sometimes they are on the lid of my trailer; sometimes they are on the roof of my truck; but most of the time they are inside my roof rack on top of the Jeep. All three mounts are the same design. They are strapped down with 1" straps. The bolts only need to be long enough to capture the bottom X-bull since they stack on top of each other.View attachment 217599View attachment 217600View attachment 217601View attachment 217602View attachment 217603
Nice DIY solution. Thanks for sharing.