Wind River Range, Wyoming, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Quigley
Member #

Service Branch
Game Warden
As for me, I know nothing about WY BDR. The routes I choose are more about WY locations leading to remote lakes, rivers and streams. The Wind River and Absaroka range is where we live and guide in. I think someone previously said the BDR route may be available soon. Sorry could not be more help. Mark

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

As for me, I know nothing about WY BDR. The routes I choose are more about WY locations leading to remote lakes, rivers and streams. The Wind River and Absaroka range is where we live and guide in. I think someone previously said the BDR route may be available soon. Sorry could not be more help. Mark
Thanks but I think I misunderstood the post. I see now where it's continuous trail that, I guess BDR maintains or developed. When I looked at it, well glanced through it (at work) it looked like it was set up for adventure bikes so I was curious if it was a motorcycle only trail or ok for the likes of us :)

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Thanks but I think I misunderstood the post. I see now where it's continuous trail that, I guess BDR maintains or developed. When I looked at it, well glanced through it (at work) it looked like it was set up for adventure bikes so I was curious if it was a motorcycle only trail or ok for the likes of us :)
It depends where you are. I’ve been on much of the NMBDR, it’s fine for most overland vehicles. Parts of the OKBDR are practically rock crawling, not my thing.

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

It depends where you are. I’ve been on much of the NMBDR, it’s fine for most overland vehicles. Parts of the OKBDR are practically rock crawling, not my thing.
Gorp, smeegle, jark....LOL! Sorry, I think I understand what you wrote and appreciate the answer but I'm very new to all this so I'm still learning the acronyms. This is a long North to South trail mainly for motorcycles(?) but on many parts in New Mexico it's 4x4 friendly but Oklahoma was tricky.
How'd I do? NMBDR and OKBDR really threw me at first site

• Haha
Reactions: Sparksalot

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
The BDR (Backcountry Discovery Route) series was the brainchild of Butler Maps. They are primarily a motorcycle mapping provider. They have developed several routes through several states. The Wyoming route was just published this month, so there probably isn't much third party info on "riding/driving the route" as yet. They are nice to look at and analyze as they break the routes down into segments that are +/- daily mileages, and they show fuel stops, etc. For the most part they are not overly technical and are 4x4 routes as well. But, there can be things like a 50" wide bridge that can require a work around for vehicles bigger than that, LOL. They are usually a good research tool that has connected off pavement routes through an area.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Gorp, smeegle, jark....LOL! Sorry, I think I understand what you wrote and appreciate the answer but I'm very new to all this so I'm still learning the acronyms. This is a long North to South trail mainly for motorcycles(?) but on many parts in New Mexico it's 4x4 friendly but Oklahoma was tricky.
How'd I do? NMBDR and OKBDR really threw me at first site
Bingo. There is a BDR in many western states. It’s a Backcountry Discovery Route, and most were mapped by adventure bike riders. They are typically referred to by state abbreviations, eg. WY, NM, OK, and the rest.

The WYBDR was just released on February 1.

• Haha
Reactions: zgfiredude

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

Bingo. There is a BDR in many western states. It’s a Backcountry Discovery Route, and most were mapped by adventure bike riders. They are typically referred to by state abbreviations, eg. WY, NM, OK, and the rest.

The WYBDR was just released on February 1.
HAHA! I feel like an old pro now! Well maybe just old

• Haha
Reactions: John Bishop

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Not sure if I missed it but if someone has said it I will break the bad news Almost every pass in WY will be shut down April / May (minus the major paved roads) I have had to push trips out west back till mid late July depending on snow fall. Hopefully one of the OB west reps will weight in with some ideas. Anyway good luck and have fun where ever you en up