Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Hello everyone, I just finished my colorado trip and now I’m looking at Wyoming or Montana for next year. Anyone have suggestions for areas to explore??
There is a lot to see in the standard trio of national parks (Yellowstone, Tetons, Glacier) in those states. If you go to Glacier there is a lot to see and do between there and the Canadian Rockies extending up to Jasper.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I lreally like Hungry Horse Reservoir in the Flathead Natl forest. Plenty of camps, lots of trails too, but bring a saw. Last year there were a couple blowdowns.

GreggNY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Westchester County, NY
Member #

I did a pic heavy write up of my drive through Montana and Wyoming here-

Reactions: DevilDodge

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

Late to the game but paradise valley hs some amazing areas which are breathe taking. Also the Bridger mountains. The picture was from Tom Miner down in paradise falls.

Attachments

Reactions: ovrlnd_escape

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

DeSoto County, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I did a pic heavy write up of my drive through Montana and Wyoming here-

Would you by chance have a map or just a list of areas you did on this trip. From the pictures you took this is exactly what I’m looking for!

Reactions: FJ Montana

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

You really can't go wrong anywhere in the mountain parts of MT or WY. I spent a couple nights camping along Grey's River Road outside of Alpine, WY and two more along the Upper Green River outside of Pinedale in October. Both were lovely. It really depends on what you're looking for. For more ideas, check out the Walthall Family series from Expedition Overland. They spent a couple months exploring Montana this summer.

A couple places to check out for a change of pace along the way:

Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody, WY: You can easily spend a full day here. There are five different wings to explore.
Museum of the Mountain Man in Pinedale, WY: Good for an hour or two depending on how deep you want to go.

Once you have things narrowed down a bit, call the local ranger stations and ask their advice. I did that several times on my last trip and found them to be very helpful.