Contributor III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
DeVore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6OFY
Looking for a better pair of headlights than the stock candles. I was hoping for a pair of plug and play LED lights. Any recommendations?

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Have you considered wiring your factory head lights through a relay, This allows the lights to be powered by full battery voltage. I've rewired a couple of YJ's, makes a lot of difference and doesn't cost a lot of money. Ron.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@ohiowrangler, @yjmattd
Have you considered wiring your factory head lights through a relay, This allows the lights to be powered by full battery voltage. I've rewired a couple of YJ's, makes a lot of difference and doesn't cost a lot of money. Ron.
I've done the same to my 97 Tacoma. The relay, along with larger wiring and shorter overall length it permits greatly increased the usability of the Halogen bulbs. My setup is completely reversible, just unplug and remove the relay harness to switch back to stock if ever needed. It's been over 10 years and my only regret was not doing this upgrade sooner!
I got my kit from https://www.danielsternlighting.com/ His personal service and consulting was about the best I've received. He talked me out of doing some trendy (at the time) mods and offered a complete solution. I'd suggest dropping him an email and see what his current suggestions are for your YJ.

The setup provides the best coverage for day to day highway driving and is fairly good for offroad. it's only been recently that stock lighting systems have provided better onroad lighting patterns and brightness. I'm considering doing a similar mod for my 2006 4runner.

Boort