Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I am trying to determine an effective solution for integrating solar with my external battery (Bluetti AC50S) that will provide power for my fridge (Dometic CFX3 35) as well as various USB power points for charging camera batteries, drone batteries, etc. I would like to have a solution that would provide charging to the Bluetti from solar and also the auto battery when the ignition is on. I would also have an isolator switch to the car battery to disconnect it from the circuit when the ignition is off. Can this all be done per my diagram below where I utilize a MPPT charge controller to regulate the solar power along with the battery and load circuits and is it as simple as wiring the Bluetti to the load terminals of the charge controller? I am currently looking at the Renogy 30 AMP MPPT controller to provide the charge controller functionality and the solar setup would be one 55W 12V solar panel to start (with an additional panel if necessary).

wiring.jpg

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
Am building a system using this controller, Kisae Technology | DMT-1230. Has input for both solar and alternator. The thing I like about it is that it has an input from the the cigarette lighter on my JKUR. The controller turns the alternator charging circuit off when the engine is off. This prevents the possibility of draining the starting battery.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

From what I hear, the Renogy folks are pretty good at walking customers through wiring for what they want to do. Have you tried reaching out to them, yet?

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

After doing some more research and checking out the Kisae DMT-1230 I found a good price for one of those units and am going in that direction. I am now in the process of getting together all my wiring and the various connectors, etc. to get everything connected and to make that factory rear cargo lighter plug obsolete. I hadn't really considered the size and mounting location for these types of controller units and the quality MPPT units such as the Kisae are more substantial in size vs. the more inexpensive and less functional controllers. I'll probably be mounting it next to the side windows in the cargo area using some metal strips bolted to my Pioneer roof rack framing located there. I am also working on the approach for mounting the solar panel on top of a good sized Alu-Box which will reside on the roof rack.

Reactions: Road