US Rocky Mountain Winter Weekender: Colorado Banana Belt 2.1

• HTML tutorial

How interested would you be in Friday night as well?

• Definitely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strong maybe

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Slight maybe

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No interest

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I think it's best if I back out. It a great trip, but not if they close off everything. I sorry I was looking forward to visiting with everyone. Take care everyone.
We don't know yet that anything will be closed. I just want folks to know it's a possibility especially those from out-of-state.

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
We can cancel as late as Saturday around 0700, so no sweat!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I just got off the phone with BLM and have a better feel for when they close the gates. I've also noticed the forecast has even improved since I posted the last message. LOL

I suspect we'll still be a go, but I may change the meeting location and base camp out of an abundance of caution. (They often close one gate, but not the other.) Please follow closely.

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
I just got off the phone with BLM and have a better feel for when they close the gates. I've also noticed the forecast has even improved since I posted the last message. LOL

I suspect we'll still be a go, but I may change the meeting location and base camp out of an abundance of caution. (They often close one gate, but not the other.) Please follow closely.

Frozen bananas! :)

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Well everyone… won’t be able to make it, I have had to work late every day and will be for the rest of the week, so I haven’t been able to get our gear and tent ready.
Bummer. We were looking forward to meeting you. But you've still got 2 full days to change your mind.

Reactions: Wandering Wanda

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
A few things for this weekend:

1) Firewood

2) GMRS radio, channel 15. If you don't have one, there's a high probability someone will have a spare to lend. If you really want to pick up something locally, this is available in most Wal-Marts:
GMRS radio

3) Make sure any heating device you have is tent safe. I have used something like this for years and they are fine. I recommend you have at least 2 propane bottles per night if you think you'll use it much.
Buddy Heater

4) If it's deemed necessary to go to the back up camping plan, the BLM campground fire rings may be limited in size. Having the propane fire pits would be a plus. I can bring a 20 lb bottle. Let me know if I should.

5) Family friendly atmosphere.... Please refrain from the use of profanity and adult topics. Please be moderate in alcohol consumption. Absolutely no alcohol or similar during the trail runs. This includes passengers.

6) Be patient, flexible, and understanding as we work out the final details because of weather influence. Watch this thread to the very last minute for changes to the Saturday meeting area. I believe I have decent Verizon cell coverage there. Phone or text at 719.248.0936. Zoleo Satellite Text: 309.893.8435. Please advise me of any delays or cancellations.

7) PARTICIPATION IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. While we have a great group of safety conscious people, accidents can happen. You assume all risk for yourself and your property. While I do have an Overland Bound title, I'm just a volunteer. I do this for the love of the activity and getting to spend time with all of you.

8) Please speak up if any activity is outside your comfort zone. We'll do our best to accommodate you. No peer pressure.

My tentative plan is to stick with the primary base camp or first alternate base camp AA options for the small Friday night group. These are in the main Rally Point location information. This group will come to consensus ASAP whether we can manage that site for Saturday night. (There could be access issues with any significant snow and concern for damaging the surface if wet.) That info will be posted here and to the Telegram group as soon as we have it. This could affect the meeting area. If anyone is uncomfortable with their ability to navigate to a set of coordinates or to a pin on Google Maps, etc, please let me know and we'll make sure you have someone to follow.

If it happens to be windy, it could be miserably cold. I'm expecting that we'll still have access to Seep Springs if even just the Red Canyon gate, but I could be wrong. It's my understanding that Sunday's initial route along the Shelf Rd receives winter maintenance, but I could be wrong. We'll also have to determine if we believe the route down into Colorado Springs is safe on Sunday and adjust our route as necessary. I'm confident the weekend will be an adventure and hopefully in a good way. My point being that things may not go to plan. As I said before, we may have to be flexible.

Also, I could use another trail group leader in case we're big enough to split into three groups. It's helpful, but not critical, that you've run these tracks before. I led last year without having traveled some sections before.

If you are RSVP'd and decide to back out, please remove your RSVP ASAP. If you have trouble doing so or if you back out any time after 12PM noon on Friday, please send me a text message to my number in 6 above including your screen name.

Thanks everyone! I'm sure looking forward to seeing some new faces!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
MEETING AREA and BASE CAMP have changed! We will be using The Banks Campground just north of Canon City. The location information has been updated for the Rally Point plus you should have no trouble navigating there using your normal navigation method searching for "The Banks Campground". The coordinates listed are of the exact meeting area, the double parking at the entrance. There is a pit toilet there. Saturday meeting is still 10 AM.

Meeting coordinates and entrance to base camp:

Rain and snow are forecast. The conditions are likely to be unpleasant and the trails messy. If you have the ability to do so, please download all the GPX files that are in the associated thread: US Rocky Mountain - Winter Weekender: Colorado Banana Belt 2.0

Campsites are $7 up to two vehicles. Availability is wide open so no need to be in a rush to book. I was thinking I'd scout on Friday to see where we might be the best area and group together. All booking is online, but if I recall correctly we had ample cell service. I will confirm and advise Friday afternoon.
The Bank Campground, Shelf Road Sites - Recreation.gov

Please cancel your RSVP if you're not coming.

My phone or text at 719.248.0936. Zoleo Satellite Text: 309.893.8435.

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
There is at least 6" on my truck. I haven't been out yet to see for sure. One ground tent collapsed.

Today is likely to turn out much differently than planned. Keep this in mind as well as the road conditions in making your decision on having an adventure today.