Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Anyone here participating in Winter Field Day (Jan 30-31)?

If you aren't familiar with Winter Field Day it is much like summer ARRL Field Day but is put on by a different group.
"Purpose: To foster Ham camaraderie, field operation, emergency operating preparedness, and just plain on the air, outdoor fun in the midst of winter for American, Canadian, and DX Hams. Don’t let those winter doldrums keep you locked up in the house… get out and play some radio!! "

The exchange is a bit easier than summer Field Day, with the # of transmitters, Class (I=Indoor, O=Outdoor, and H=Home), and your Section.

Currently I am contemplating participating to test my newly made antenna, set up outside in a tent.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I will be up and running... don’t know if I’m going solo or with one of the local clubs. There is talk of running as a 4A under the W7GRA or K7UNI call signs.

Reactions: TerryD and Ubiety

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
My club was going to set up on Sat but the weather is going to be snow, 8-15* and 20-45 MPH do we're going to pass on setting up. We already launched 3 antennas and 2 table sized umbrellas this summer so we're skipping the winter version.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My club was going to set up on Sat but the weather is going to be snow, 8-15* and 20-45 MPH do we're going to pass on setting up. We already launched 3 antennas and 2 table sized umbrellas this summer so we're skipping the winter version.
We are setting up in the county EOC and shutting off the main power for the day.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
We are setting up in the county EOC and shutting off the main power for the day.
That would be nice but there's not a prayer in hell of that happening, not to mention it would be a 110 mile round trip in snow and high winds.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That would be nice but there's not a prayer in hell of that happening, not to mention it would be a 110 mile round trip in snow and high winds.
It’s nice that the EOC management are all ham operators

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well I operated as a 1H things kind of when sideways for me... but still made 16 contacts... most on the east coast and only running 50 watts of powrr

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Mine started out rough with some RFI into my radio. Setup another antenna with same result, moved my operating location perpendicular to the antenna and fixed that issue but a few hours wasted. Ended up with about 40 contacts, which is quite a bit less than I had anticipated but evening rf conditions weren't great.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

We had a snowstorm hit just as WFD started and that destroyed my plans. I still made a few contacts but, like you, much less than what I was hoping. Here's the map of my contacts for the day.

Screenshot 2021-01-31 173353.jpg