Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Kayvan
Last Name
Zadeh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YEB
Hi, I am headed to the fish camp area in two weeks and I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations as to which forest routes/ ohv trails would be good this time of year. I am looking for something less challenging and more scenic since it will probably be covered in snow this time of year. Has anyone done the star lakes and iron lakes trails in the snow? And how about the sky ranch route? Or the summit camp forest route? I am going with stock land cruisers and tacomas so we are not looking for anything too crazy but a bit of a challenge would be nice. Any info is appreciated.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

I'm at fish camp this minute parked by the general store because a lot of the campsite and roads are closed.
The snow park in fish camp is closed. Sky ranch road closed about 6 miles up and campsites closed. Beasore rd out of Bass lake closed a few miles up to. You can't get to Mammoth pool either. Call North fork ranger station they got good info on the road and campsites. After this storm there is a road that goes from fishcamp snow park circles around back to the 41. Its a service road but should have mud and snow and give a little challenge.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

I came up to catch the storm and do some winter camping. My camping spot is closed but a little extra challenge is ok.

K1mj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Kayvan
Last Name
Zadeh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YEB
Woaw that's not fun! Thanks for the update. I am hoping there will be better conditions in two weeks. I talked to the Bass lake ranger district people and they suggested summit campsite road.

K1mj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Kayvan
Last Name
Zadeh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YEB
Bumping this again since I am off to fish camp tomorrow morning. Looking at the map, I can see a lot of trails in the area some further south are at lower elevations 4000 and under that might not have snow. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Call the north fork ranger station or Bass lake station but all campsites above Bass Lake were closed. I believe the Yosemite might be to. Trees falling. There was snow down close to 4k feet. Also check out Bass lake dam I hear it might spill over this week. Carry chains they are checking for them even with snow tires. Have fun be safe.

Reactions: K1mj