Windy Desert Cooking

• HTML tutorial

Del Albright

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Member #

On a recent Death Valley overlanding trip, we hit wind a few nights -- I mean WIND.!
Cooking my coffee in the bright and ugly morning was a challenge. My old school gear was marginal. But I found a fix to get my pot to perk.
trust-dv-gear-coffee-pot-web.jpg

I know. It's kinda hokey. But I had hot coffee in near hurricane-force winds! (smile).

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
On a recent Death Valley overlanding trip, we hit wind a few nights -- I mean WIND.!
Cooking my coffee in the bright and ugly morning was a challenge. My old school gear was marginal. But I found a fix to get my pot to perk.
View attachment 144514

I know. It's kinda hokey. But I had hot coffee in near hurricane-force winds! (smile).
I like it. Did you repurpose something or make it?

I just found this on Amazon. I haven't used it yet. Should work well with a dutch oven and coals too, I hope.

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

I like it. Did you repurpose something or make it?

I just found this on Amazon. I haven't used it yet. Should work well with a dutch oven and coals too, I hope.

Yep. I got one with my stove, but it's not a "perfect wrap/fit". But it'll do the trick. I plan to use magnets to keep the shield attached to the base of the stove in wind. We'll see......

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparksalot

Del Albright

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Member #

The folding goodie I used is something I found at a sporting goods store (or Wally) many moons ago. It's a wind break or folding wind shield for stoves. Amazon has them. Yes.