Rd62

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Carolina
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Hershey
I recently purchased a Midland 1001lwx cb for my Tacoma. I'm looking at antenna solutions now and debating between a Wilson Lil Wil on the roof of the cab or a 4' Firestik mounted either next to the AM/FM antenna using a hood mount or behind the cab in the center of the bedrail.

Without debating pros/cons of ham vs CB can anyone make a recommendation on these setups based on experience or expertise?

Thanks!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

If you can swing it the roof would be the better place in general. Your signal will be a little more evenly dispersed versus having the antenna off to one side. If you can get by with an antenna mounted that high.
I prefer stainless steel whip antennas, they bend quite a bit and can take a beating.
I run two 50" whips on the roof and a 112" (+/-) whip off the side on the tail light.
If you are ok with tall antennas I would run a 108" whip, if the antenna is mounted sufficiently you shouldn't need to tune it.

Rd62

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Carolina
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Hershey
I'm concerned with knocking it off on garages or low hanging limbs, etc.

May just jump in with the Wilson and see how it goes...

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I personally like the FireStik because of the design and look on my style of truck. Looks more rugged than the Wilson, even though people swear by them. Performance-wise it's good as well. I get a 1.0 reading and most all the channels I use.

file-59.jpeg

Reactions: Rd62

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
What size Firestik is that, how far does it stick above the cab, and any issues with impacts?
It is a 3 foot FireStik with tunable tip but the antenna spring adds another 4 inches or so. It sticks up about 19 inches above the cab and have not had any issues thanks to the spring.

FireStik
FireStik Spring

Last edited: