Will my stock cargo rack and cross members work with a RTT

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

First Name
Houston
Last Name
Brown
I have noticed that anyone that has a roof top tent has also replaced their stock rack system or cargo carrier. I guess it depends on the manufacture as to what they call it. Is it not a good idea to use the stock roof rack that came with my vehicle, specifically a fifth GEN 4runner?

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I have noticed that anyone that has a roof top tent has also replaced their stock rack system or cargo carrier. I guess it depends on the manufacture as to what they call it. Is it not a good idea to use the stock roof rack that came with my vehicle, specifically a fifth GEN 4runner?
I don't know that I'd trust the stock rack of a 4runner with the weight of a tent. I made my own crossbars out of 1 5/8 superstrut, and bolted it to the rack of my Xterra, but the oem xterra rack is MUCH beefier than a 4runners.

If you could find some heavy duty crossbars though, that might work.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Houston_5123b5 Check your vehicle's owner's manual for the roof rack's weight rating. If possible, you could pull some extra cross bars (probably would want 4 more, at least; ideally, get as many as will fit) from similar 4Runners at a junk yard and save a bit of money.

Plan on buying a rack that will support the full weight of the tent, plus your own weight, plus about 150 pounds for gear and rain water (with a RTT you WILL be carrying rain water).