Why such a big step in cost for 2nd member emblem?

• HTML tutorial

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I'm looking to join, but I'm really puzzled by what looks to be a disparity in membership option costs.

(rounded to nearest dollar)
Membership = $20
1st emblem + $5
2nd emblem +$25 (on sale for +$20)

If I'm going to affix an emblem to my truck, I'd like to do both sides. $5 for one after having paid $20 for membership isn't so bad, but $25 (on sale for $20) for the second one seems excessive.

I really don't want to come across as a whiner. I'm just looking to understand because I'd really rather have 2 emblems than just one.

Is there something I'm missing?

Reactions: AZAdventurer

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Until very recently, there wasn't a $20 membership tier. The base membership was $25, and included one badge. Due to exorbitant international shipping costs for a badge, the $20 Digital membership was added. If, at some later time, the digital members wanted to get their numbered badge, it is only a $5 bump.

So, a badged membership is $25, and a package with two badges is $45.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Until very recently, there wasn't a $20 membership tier. The base membership was $25, and included one badge. Due to exorbitant international shipping costs for a badge, the $20 Digital membership was added. If, at some later time, the digital members wanted to get their numbered badge, it is only a $5 bump.

So, a badged membership is $25, and a package with two badges is $45.
Hi Steve. Thanks for the quick response.

I wasn't aware that a membership could be done in steps. Please indulge me to be sure I understand.

I can join digitally today for $20. If in a few months I decide I want the badge emblems, I can then get one for $5 or 2 for $25?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@Neal A. Tew Sorry for the delay in replying. I wanted to get clarification from @Corrie and @Michael who are on a three-week road trip.

The digital membership was recently created for international sales, to avoid the exorbitant international shipping costs for a badge. We've had folks in Europe have to pay duty far exceeding the cost of the membership. For that reason, a digital membership package evolved that gave those international members access to the member-only features without the cost of shipping.

The $20 digital membership is only available for international purchase. This will be clarified on the store.

Thank you for understanding, and thanks for bringing this to our attention. The digital tier is new, and you are the first to show us that it needs further explanation.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@Neal A. Tew Sorry for the delay in replying. I wanted to get clarification from @Corrie and @Michael who are on a three-week road trip.

The digital membership was recently created for international sales, to avoid the exorbitant international shipping costs for a badge. We've had folks in Europe have to pay duty far exceeding the cost of the membership. For that reason, a digital membership package evolved that gave those international members access to the member-only features without the cost of shipping.

The $20 digital membership is only available for international purchase. This will be clarified on the store.

Thank you for understanding, and thanks for bringing this to our attention. The digital tier is new, and you are the first to show us that it needs further explanation.
Thanks, Steve!

Much appreciated!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey Guys,

What @Steve is saying is correct. Our friends in Australia and the UK asked if there was a digital version so they did not have to pay costs associated with the physical emblem, so we put that option up hastily. It gives them access, and a member number without an emblem. Since they have a number, they can always get an emblem later.

Short answer: Emblems cost us way more than $5 and we can't afford to sell them for less than $25.

We are still figuring out our pricing structure for digital access vs. physical emblems, and that is why messaging is a bit unclear. We will fix that this year. Don't value digital at $19 and Emblem at $5 - its not accurate. "Membership" has a cost to us, and a value to members - and we need to get more clear on communicating what that is.

We're even considering offering $4.99 a month for folks - and may even include a emblem for free if they commit to a year - but that is all mud at the wall at this point. We're noodling on it.

Let me know if you have any further questions - happy to answer.

Cheers,

M

LCM_Scott

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hilton, New York, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Borden
Member #

Hahaha y'all are complaining about $25 when I am sitting here like I just spent $25 on McDonalds and didnt get a single thing to show for it but the runs!

Lol, all kidding aside the price difference is a bit different but compared to other car clubs who make you pay monthly dues, buy a banner, have expensive low quality shirts and swag this isnt a bad deal. That is coming from someone who just paid $89 for membership.

Gotta think of it as an investment. Its like your paying to get into an exclusive community of like minded individuals.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Quote from above:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not that this affects me, but this confirms that the USA gets it in the shorts internationally. For example i have ordered small things from Amazon(multiple stuff-some coming from Thailand or China, or even Australia). These are lightweight items of no more than 1 pound thru the mail.
So when President Trump wants to pull out of the international postal agreement, because we pay more than the same item coming in, he makes a very valid point as does the above quoted. Not fair for us, or customers overseas trying to obtain gear from this site.

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

This does clear this up. To me these are beautiful badges & worth the cost for the second. Shoot i bet nearly one third of the cost is probably in the shipping.

Reactions: Michael

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Not that this affects me, but this confirms that the USA gets it in the shorts internationally. For example i have ordered small things from Amazon(multiple stuff-some coming from Thailand or China, or even Australia). These are lightweight items of no more than 1 pound thru the mail.
not to derail this thread too much, but there was a really interesting and entertaining Planet Money podcast recently that goes into this and kind of how we got here. Worth a quick listen or read if you are interested in learning more about the details, it's pretty entertaining: https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=634732388

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Hey Guys,

What @Steve is saying is correct. Our friends in Australia and the UK asked if there was a digital version so they did not have to pay costs associated with the physical emblem, so we put that option up hastily. It gives them access, and a member number without an emblem. Since they have a number, they can always get an emblem later.

Short answer: Emblems cost us way more than $5 and we can't afford to sell them for less than $25.

We are still figuring out our pricing structure for digital access vs. physical emblems, and that is why messaging is a bit unclear. We will fix that this year. Don't value digital at $19 and Emblem at $5 - its not accurate. "Membership" has a cost to us, and a value to members - and we need to get more clear on communicating what that is.

We're even considering offering $4.99 a month for folks - and may even include a emblem for free if they commit to a year - but that is all mud at the wall at this point. We're noodling on it.

Let me know if you have any further questions - happy to answer.

Cheers,

M
@Michael I understand what you are saying with the " "Membership" has a cost to us" statement as I ran a web site, forum etc back in the 00's
what you may want to think of for members to only to see is a bit more of a transparent insight of the cost of running such a thing and why sponsorship and membership fees really do count. For example.

Costs per year
  • Website hosting
  • Domain name
  • Web administration and development
  • Email and servers
  • cloud hosting
  • storage space
  • Bandwidth
  • Server rental costs
  • members enrolment gear
  • phone costs - contacting others
  • Office applications for letters and printing
  • Photoshop application
  • movie editing application,
  • postage costs
  • packaging
  • engraving of badge
  • badge cost per unit (bulk of XXXX) number
  • Podcast equipment
  • Podcast application
Once people see this cost then having a free site after paying the $25 is nothing