Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Looking to up my ability to air up my tires. Trying to decide which Viair on board air to go with. Planning on coupling with the Indeflate 2-hose system. I’m running 35x12.5x17. There are several to choose from and looking for what others are running from Viair.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Looking to up my ability to air up my tires. Trying to decide which Viair on board air to go with. Planning on coupling with the Indeflate 2-hose system. I’m running 35x12.5x17. There are several to choose from and looking for what others are running from Viair.
Can you post which ones you're looking at? I have and it did pretty well with my previous 35x12.5-18" tires on my 2500. I'd say it took ~10min per tire to come back up from ~25psi to 55-60psi. I'd let it rest ~5min between tires, so it took an hour to do. If you're going to mount an onboard, I'd want more capacity than that myself (an hour airing up can get old, especially if you are on a multi-day trip where you bounce between trail and freeway requiring daily air-ups). I am now on 37x13.5-17"s and have ARB's dual compressor mounted, and it takes ~15min to go back up from 30psi to 60psi. Much better. That said my ARB quit randomly, then just started working fine again and I've heard of others with the same issue so IDK if I can fully recommend it.

Also, FWIW I'd consider a 4-tire system like this: MORRFlate 4 Tire Inflation Deflation™ Kits Archives • MORRFlate by My Off Road Radio vs. the 2-tire. Throw it on, and just walk away 'til all 4 tires are where you want (assuming you spec the right compressor that can do it within it's continuous duty cycle). I don't understand why you'd bother with a 2-tire system that you have to move. I have their longest kit for my truck and it's really not tough to wrap back up and get in the bag.

-TJ

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire

I’m looking at these mainly.

A.K. Forister

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Amy
Last Name
Forister
Member #

I installed the Viair constant duty kit on my Jeep several years ago. I love compressor, relay/switch, and tank. But I've, replaced everything else. I replaced all of the hose with stainless steel braided hose. I put one quick connect on the rear of the Jeep and one on the front. I run 33's and can air up using one hose, from 16 to 32 in less than 10 minutes or so.

Reactions: WTSMatt

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I’m looking at these mainly.
I'd suggest the constant duty. First, it's constant duty so you can "set it and forget it" especially if you do the 4-tire fill kit. Second, it's the 450 head unit, same as the portable I have that on constant duty would probably take ~30-40 minutes to take some 35"s from 25 to 55psi. You don't want any slower than that. That said, the 2.5gal tank will help speed the whole thing up a lot (assuming you go ahead and turn the compressor on and fill it up before pulling over to air-up).

-TJ

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I've used a 450p for years. It will run and run without issue. I don't even have a ton of ventilation around it and it has always been good. It isn't super fast though. I am only filling 4 ~33" tires. I never seem to be the one holding up the group though. Biggest life improvement for me was getting a powertank "overlander safety series 0-60 psi" tire inflator. They have them with a long hose so even if your valve stem is at the bottom near the ground you can stand up and even step back from a hot engine bay. it makes me not care as much that my compressor isn't some huge or fancy fast thing. haha

Reactions: WTSMatt and KAIONE

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Another vote for the 450.
Mine is at least 8-10 years old. Its currently mounted behind the rear panel in my cruiser. In the past I kept it in a 50 cal ammo can including the hose and battery wiring. That way I could switch vehicles and had a solid way to mount it.