fezzek

Rank II

Enthusiast II

USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Stutchbury
My scenario is that I want my first truck, and I want it to be a long term purchase - drive it, maintain it, but drive until it falls apart. I am not going to deliberately go rock crawling, but I do want a truck that will be capable of getting me out of trouble should I take a wrong turn, or get caught out in a storm and the trail turns to a mud bath. Initially, long weekend trips (3-4 days), but ultimately 7-10 day trips.

I've done online research, and been to look at a few trucks, but I seem to be looking for a truck that doesn't exist. Given I will be putting on an Alucab Cabin or Hawk slide in, I want a 6.5ft bed if I can get it as space is always an issue and can't be upgraded later.

Ideally, a F150 tremor with the hybrid engine and a 6.5ft bed would suit me well - but that isn't an option. So the compromise seems to be:
F150, lariat with 6.5ft bed, Hybrid engine, and 7.2kw power, FX4
F150 tremor, 5.5ft bed, 2kw power

I do need to tow about 8500lb a couple of times a year (car on a trailer), and I do want the payload to be about 2000lb if possible so the max payload upgrade is a requirement. If I take the option to upgrade the suspension, it doesn't change the stickered payload maximum so it doesn't officially help my cause if I get pulled over for any reason. This rules out the Ram power wagon.

So is 2kw power enough? Or is the luxury of the 7.2kw for fridge and the ability to head away a night early and work remotely and charge my laptop etc. worth it. is the trade off of the FX4 good enough vs Tremor?

It almost feels like there are too many options to consider.

I've done a lot of camping/hiking, this is my first foray into truck based luxury camping - hopefully my wife will be more willing to join me if there is a bit more luxury available!

Any thoughts from those more experienced than me?

Martin

Reactions: krzyboy2o

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

My scenario is that I want my first truck, and I want it to be a long term purchase - drive it, maintain it, but drive until it falls apart. I am not going to deliberately go rock crawling, but I do want a truck that will be capable of getting me out of trouble should I take a wrong turn, or get caught out in a storm and the trail turns to a mud bath. Initially, long weekend trips (3-4 days), but ultimately 7-10 day trips.

I've done online research, and been to look at a few trucks, but I seem to be looking for a truck that doesn't exist. Given I will be putting on an Alucab Cabin or Hawk slide in, I want a 6.5ft bed if I can get it as space is always an issue and can't be upgraded later.

Ideally, a F150 tremor with the hybrid engine and a 6.5ft bed would suit me well - but that isn't an option. So the compromise seems to be:
F150, lariat with 6.5ft bed, Hybrid engine, and 7.2kw power, FX4
F150 tremor, 5.5ft bed, 2kw power

I do need to tow about 8500lb a couple of times a year (car on a trailer), and I do want the payload to be about 2000lb if possible so the max payload upgrade is a requirement. If I take the option to upgrade the suspension, it doesn't change the stickered payload maximum so it doesn't officially help my cause if I get pulled over for any reason. This rules out the Ram power wagon.

So is 2kw power enough? Or is the luxury of the 7.2kw for fridge and the ability to head away a night early and work remotely and charge my laptop etc. worth it. is the trade off of the FX4 good enough vs Tremor?

It almost feels like there are too many options to consider.

I've done a lot of camping/hiking, this is my first foray into truck based luxury camping - hopefully my wife will be more willing to join me if there is a bit more luxury available!

Any thoughts from those more experienced than me?

Martin
Hey there! Looks like we’re in the same boat. I too am looking for my first truck. For some reason,the Tremor has me hooked. For me the 2.0kw (2000w) would be suffice. If you add up watts for a fridge and laptop your well under.

And if you need some thing more, I would look into a dedicated portable generator like a Ecoflow, Jackery, or Goal Zero that you can recharge. This may be more convenient and potentially less strain on the truck long term.

Reactions: AnthonyBroussard

fezzek

Rank II

Enthusiast II

USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Stutchbury
I wonder if I am thinking about this wrong. I can upgrade suspension, I can add a goal zero battery etc. What I can't upgrade is bed length / space and the maximum "sticker/legal " bed capacity. Maybe I just need to make sure I get the truck platform that meets the needs and worry about the rest later.

Bad time to be buying a truck though with all the dealer mark ups and delays.

Martin

Steve5472

Rank 0

Contributor II

Ontario, Canada
First Name
STEVE
Last Name
ELM
I have a 22 Tremor on order and I went back and forth with the exact questions. If it came in a longer bed it would be a no-brainer for me. I plan on sleeping in the bed so that extra foot would be huge. Having said that I LOVE the Tremor and what it offers in terms of styling and off-road prowess. I've designed a diagonal sleep platform that I think will work perfectly fine for me once I get a cap etc for it. I tend to do most of my camping solo so a diagonal sleep setup is fine for me. Not sure that would work great for a couple though. I think you'd need a RTT or something in that case.

In terms of how it compares to the FX4, there's a really good video that shows where it shines in comparison: Tremor vs FX4 . I think it depends on what type of off roading you plan on doing and what type of terrain you think you will encounter. The FX4 is certainly better than the standard F150 but there are a few things that put the Tremor ahead of it in terms of off road capabilities and protection.

In regards to the ProPower Onboard....I'm going with the 2Kw (that's the only option on the Tremor) as I don't plan on using lots of power. I do a lot of winter camping so I'd like to be able to run a space heater for an hour or so a day but that's about it. Keep in mind with the Tremor the truck has to be running in order to power the 2Kw (unlike the other versions on the Powerboost engines). If I were running something that needed power constantly then that might change my view on what truck to get, but for me 2kw is ample.

fezzek

Rank II

Enthusiast II

USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Stutchbury
thank you everyone for the responses. I do think the F150 tremor with 6.5ft bed and power pro is the ideal truck but it doesnt exist. I have priced it out, and I think I can get a hybrid powerboost engine with a 6.5ft bed and do my own upgrades to get me where I would be comfortable offroad. I watched that Tremor vs FX4 offroad video and to be honest, I never intend on going places that need me to get through that sort of terrain. I do however make wrong turns and get caught out in unexpected bad weather which is the only reason I would need the Tremor capabilities. But I think I can add a front air locker, a bit of a lift and improved suspension for the increased cost of the tremor. But right now, trucks are expensive and have a long wait time so I a going to hold off for a while and see how the next 6 months works out.

Reactions: zgfiredude

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

What is it you feel like you need the power capability for? I own a Hawk, it's very self-sufficient as far as power for the fridge/lights. I suppose if you wanted to run blenders and toasters and things like that, tapping into the F150 would be nice - but at that point I think I'd just upgrade my Hawk's battery bank to Lithium and put a 2-3kw inverter in it. 7.2kw is a TON. For reference, I also have an RV and have had many RVs and Toy Haulers. My 5th wheel Toy Haulers have had as many as 3 15k BTU ACs on them with a 5.5kw generator. My first big diesel pusher had a 8k generator and had two 15k ACs and a massive charger for a huge batter bank. My current pusher has a 12.5k genny with 3 15k ACs and even more batteries and an even bigger charger. It also has an induction cooktop, convection oven, and tons of other electronics (4 TVs, etc.) that all need AC so the 12.5k can run absolutely everything at the same time, if needed. I can't imagine having enough stuff in a Hawk to need remotely close to 7.2kw though... the most you'd have is probably a small AC if you add it. Either way, for a Hawk you'll want the 6.5' bed, so that kind of makes the decision for you...

-TJ

fezzek

Rank II

Enthusiast II

USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Stutchbury
I dont need 7.2kw of power. I probably need somewhere between 1500 to 2400w of power for 9 hours a day. I'm aiming to get away on thursday nights and work remotely in the truck on fridays and mondays so I can go further afield by getting a 4-6 hour driving headstart.

Between my wife and i, both on laptops, charging phones and 2nd screens it will add up to about 1200w, then fridge. I could get that down, but it's the duration of the power draw that's the issue I think. 7.2kw is overkill.

Can I put 300w of solar and charge the truck? Or would a 1500w goal zero be better - butvthat defeats the purpose of the power pro.

Any thoughts?

adv.fam.4

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Parker, Colorado, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Shorley
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Thread is dead... What did you decide? I'm picking up my powerboost within the next week.

fezzek

Rank II

Enthusiast II

USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Stutchbury
Standard f150 with fx4. I can upgrade suspension etc but I can't upgrade bed length. 2kw powerboost with additional 1500w goal zero.

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I really wish they would put the Powerboost 3.5L in the Tremor, they put the 3.5L but not in Hybrid form.

fezzek

Rank II

Enthusiast II

USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Stutchbury
I agree. It's nice that you can use it without the truck running.