Which after market anti-condensation Matt for my rtt?

• HTML tutorial

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Greetings Programs,
So I’m looking at some add-ons for the Smitty OL XL, specifically an anti-condensation matt.

is there a “best of...” list somewhere? I imagine there is a continuom of good-better-best choices out there. I was looking at the Den-Dry brand on Amazon. Seems a popular aftermarket choice, as much as a new mattress, but has good reviews in bothRV and Marine applications.

Before pulling the trigger tho, I wanted to see what you guys were using? My tent did not come with one.

thx,
Lee

Reactions: Shahn

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
or the cheaper alternative...a sheet of Dow styrafoam insulation. Makes it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. No condensation . I believe it cost me $12 four years ago.

Reactions: lhoffm4

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
or the cheaper alternative...a sheet of Dow styrafoam insulation. Makes it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. No condensation . I believe it cost me $12 four years ago.
Dang, wish I’d seen your post before ordering the Den-Dry...

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I use the anti condensation mat that was designed for my tent, its pretty similar to the smitty built tents i bet you could use it if you wanted to. Its kinda like expanded metal, but soft rubber and about a 1/4 inch thick. And in the 2 years I have used it, I havent had any condensation issues.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I use the anti condensation mat that was designed for my tent, its pretty similar to the smitty built tents i bet you could use it if you wanted to. Its kinda like expanded metal, but soft rubber and about a 1/4 inch thick. And in the 2 years I have used it, I havent had any condensation issues.
Which tent/mat is it?

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I have the tuff stuff overland ranger tent, its basically the same tent with the extra cover over the ladder. Tuff Stuff® Overland Roof Top Tent Anti-Condensation Mat, Soft Tents
how do you like your tent? I really like the extra room in the Smittybilt OL XL. The mat adds about another inch under the mattress. I have not camped in the cold yet but with the set up of the diesel heater, I anticipate no condensation to worry about. still thinking about getting a liner tho.

Reactions: Jaytperry89

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
It gets cold here quick, i actually have a cover for snow for my tent. It helps alot actually. To answer your question tho, I love my tent. It has allowed me to go some spectacular places. Its big enough for my wife and I to adventure around. And the big reason we purchased from tuff stuff was the price was with the annex. Big savings difference. We havent used the tent without the mat. But we do use a buddy heater in our tent, only condensation I get is actually in the annex.

Attachments

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Slightly off-topic but in cold weather we place our sheep skins (normally used on the camp chairs) at the foot area of the inside of the tent as an insulating layer. Works wonders.

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I have seen a couple of videos where people put carpet tiles on the floor. Has anyone of you experience with this, and does it work?

I like the idea of having something permanently attached to the floor vs more velcro stuff or mattresses shifting around...

Last edited: