Where to mount winch

• Thread starter Deleted member 14476
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
D

Deleted member 14476

So I’m still new to the process of building overland vehicles, (I come from the Prerunner/Desert Racing community we don’t use winches hahaha) so I have a couple questions for a winch.

What’s the mounting process for one? Can I just fabricate a location behind my bumper (pictured below) and attach it with bolts, or should I weld it?Here’s the bumper freshly fabricated a month ago, any help/advice appreciated!

Attachments

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

You might want to add a couple of recovery points to what ever you do. They are nice to use when you are using a block.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So I’m still new to the process of building overland vehicles, (I come from the Prerunner/Desert Racing community we don’t use winches hahaha) so I have a couple questions for a winch.

What’s the mounting process for one? Can I just fabricate a location behind my bumper (pictured below) and attach it with bolts, or should I weld it?Here’s the bumper freshly fabricated a month ago, any help/advice appreciated!
Don’t weld the winch mount to the frame… if for some reason you need to pull it off, grinding and cutting sucks… since you have a Chevy Silverado, you can get winch mounts made specifically for the winch you are using and your truck.

Making a custom winch mount is easy as well… I hope my pictures show how simple it is.
4AAFD666-004C-4913-8466-71A4B02A54F2.jpeg73C710BF-B1AF-41D7-9CD2-B879042B0D77.jpeg30301866-B9AA-4F61-81EA-F65B48C29893.jpegB1F9295B-B13C-4589-AE1D-77BF454E1C02.jpegA3088895-49DE-4FC0-A183-44898A258CF6.jpeg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Not to sound rude or be a jerk in any way …. But … if you have to ask how to mount a winch might be a good time to brush up on winch operating and safety before getting one , it’s a handy tool that can lead to harm in a hurry . Also the pulling lbs of a winch will change how you will mount it , what might be ok for a 8k winch could fail with a 15k winch . But if you can weld and fabricate it’s not to hard to make one , just don’t skimp for the sake of saving weight .