Where/How are you mounting your Baofeng handheld?

• HTML tutorial

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Owens Cross Roads, Madison County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I just ordered the Baofeng BF-F9 V2+ 8 Watt and i'm interested in a mounting solution. I don't like these just laying around especially since i'll be using a roof mounted antenna that will need to be in the radio. I'm sure there is a ram mount that would work but they are expensive. Anyone using something different?

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Not "mounted" but I just set my UV-5r between the parking brake handle and the console. It's pretty secure there. I loop the coaxial back around and between the console and my seat.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Haven't mounted mine yet either, but I have a bar from my old JK that connects to the passenger grab handle and I'll probably clip it to. Or get a RAM mount for it.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
If you 'mount' it, I would suggest getting a remote mic, but in my experience with the Baofeng mic, it really decreases the transmit quality.

Also, if you actually use the radio itself and have a mag-mount antenna that screws into the top of the radio, tie off the antenna lead somewhere to the radio so the strain from the connection to the radio is mitigated.

Mine works great with a roof mount mag antenna.

The Baofeng itself is actually smaller and lighter than the mic for my CB radio, a Cobra WX-ST which is huge and heavy.

Reactions: britz

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I am aware of two makers of mounting brackets for the Baofeng UV-5R, and I think chances are pretty good the new BF**-8 radios will fit as well. Stinkyfab Racing (SFR) is one, and Kiddmen57 on Expo is the other. (Not posting links because as a newbie the system tells me those will likely get flagged as spam. A search function should get you there though.)

Here is a picture of the two brackets with a Yaesu FT-60 which doesn't quite fit either one.

The SFR bracket could be easily modified to take the Yaesu, but not the Kiddmen57 bracket.

Note that there are two versions of the Kiddmen57 bracket, one has a 1/4-20 nut welded to the back. There is also another version of the SFR bracket available, designed for welding to a roll cage, but I did not order one of those, so no pic of that one.

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Owens Cross Roads, Madison County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I am aware of two makers of mounting brackets for the Baofeng UV-5R, and I think chances are pretty good the new BF**-8 radios will fit as well. Stinkyfab Racing (SFR) is one, and Kiddmen57 on Expo is the other. (Not posting links because as a newbie the system tells me those will likely get flagged as spam. A search function should get you there though.)

Here is a picture of the two brackets with a Yaesu FT-60 which doesn't quite fit either one.

The SFR bracket could be easily modified to take the Yaesu, but not the Kiddmen57 bracket.

Note that there are two versions of the Kiddmen57 bracket, one has a 1/4-20 nut welded to the back. There is also another version of the SFR bracket available, designed for welding to a roll cage, but I did not order one of those, so no pic of that one.
Awesome! I will check those out. I discovered yesterday that with the extended battery on it that makes it longer. It just barely fits into my current ram mount for iPhone however that's a temporary solutions.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I use the Kiddmen57 mount, works great. Also, for those of you with the Baofeng remote mic, the mic holes in the face of the mic are offset from where the mic actually sits in the unit. If you take it apart and drill a small hole where the mic is, any transmission issues will be resolved. Took all of 15 minutes to fix.