Member I

Woodside, CA, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Jekat
Member #

Hello,
I have a question that I would like to pose to those of you who have gone through the process of upsizing your wheels and what your recommendations are. I currently have 16" wheels with Cooper mud tires 285/75/16's on my 2000 Excursion. I have a 4.5" inch lift and I'm looking to put 35" tires on it. I have been told that putting 35" tires on the 16" wheels will work fine, but I'm concerned that the amount of sidewall would not make me as stable as I should be. I'm considering 20" wheels but I hear different pros and cons about them. I would love to hear the communities input on this.
Another question that I ask of you guys and girls, what tires do you recommend.

Thanks,
Richard

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
35 on 16 or 17 will ride best, and offer the most grip.

Depends on the quality of the tires. Cooper ST Maxx in E will be fine. E rated Goodyear Duratracs WILL be too soft.

20" wheels are great, because 36x12.5r20 Cooper ST Maxx's will have an option of F rated 3900# or E rated 3500#. Those F's will be great for the slide in camper guys. But obviously Excursions don't do that. Only go to 20'' wheels if you tow a trailer that your Excursion struggles with.

Reactions: Lil Bear

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

20s will give you a more responsive drive if you like canyon carving but 16s with more sidewall will give you a more compliant, comfortable ride off road and if you ever air down more sidewall is a good thing.

Depends on why you are buying taller tires.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

35 on 16 or 17 will ride best, and offer the most grip.

Depends on the quality of the tires. Cooper ST Maxx in E will be fine. E rated Goodyear Duratracs WILL be too soft.

20" wheels are great, because 36x12.5r20 Cooper ST Maxx's will have an option of F rated 3900# or E rated 3500#. Those F's will be great for the slide in camper guys. But obviously Excursions don't do that. Only go to 20'' wheels if you tow a trailer that your Excursion struggles with.
Yeah I was wondering about this. I have a Titan XD with the cummins in it and mine came with 20's on it. I want to change my tires but wasn't sure if I should go to a smaller wheel. I plan on running 35's or slightly larger. Running Cooper Discoverer ATP 275/65/R20's now.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The only real limit to smaller wheels is brake calliper clearance.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Caliper clearance, and ignorant tire techs.

I can run down to a 17" wheel on a Ford Superduty despite huge brakes. But if you stick the wheel weight in the wrong spot......... It's easier just selecting a 18x9 +18mm wheel. I guess gravel could be an issue as well.