Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Hey guys! I didn't see one of these threads so I thought I'd start and share. I know most of us are gear addicts so I want to see what's in your camera bag! I'll share what's in mine first!

First is the bag itself, a LowePro NatureTrekker AWII. I'm not much of a hiker and I bought it second hand for a pretty good deal strictly for the protective and carrying capacity, so I cut the support straps off of it for comfort in my treks around racetracks and other events. The bag is definitely a step up from the tiny Canon bag I had and makes transporting all my junk significantly easier.

Next are the bodies, my main camera is a Canon 5D Mark III that I picked up a couple months ago for an absolute steal at my local camera shop. I also keep the T3i that I started on as a backup camera. Also an old Elan 7 that I picked up a month ago because I wanted to play with some 35mm for the nostalgia, I haven't used it yet, but I'm really excited to!

The 5D3 stays loaded with the 28-135 1:3.5-5.6 IS. I have the 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 IS II kit lens that came with the T3i, and a 75-300 1:4-5.6 cheap tele lens. The Elan 7 also stays with the 28-90 1:4-5.6 that came attached to the camera when I bought it.

I keep a shotgun mic for the rare occasion that I shoot video, usually at the racetrack.

An SD card case with 1x 8GB, 2x 64GB Sandisk cards, and I just recieved a Samsung evo 128GB that I intend to keep for the GoPro Hero5 Session so that I can shoot more than 12 minutes of 4K or 50 minutes of 1080P, which I really enjoy throwing the GoPro up on a spring clamp mount that I made or a tube clamp mount for some oddball/obscure angles when on the trail.

A handful of batteries and chargers, a random flash diffuser for my EDC Streamlight Strion when I need some different lighting. A couple rolls of Kodak Ultramax for when I finally decide to break out the Elan 7. A small variety of GoPro and tripod accesories, a lens pen, and a couple CPL filters for the important outdoor shots, where I spend 98% of my photographing time.

I'm still an amateur really, but I'm always striving to improve my loadout and, most importantly, my abilities with these machines.

What's in your camera bag?

Cheers
Mike

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

The only time I take a bag now is if I'm going on a trip. Most of the time if it just a day trip I'll just grab the 6d and one lens. It might be a 15mm, of a few times just a 300mm. It really makes where you have to work for good shot. I has made photography fun for me again. Sometimes I'll add a 1.4 extender or a 12mm extension tube for some options.

When I do take the bag, 6D, 15mm, 20-35, 70-200, 300, 1.4, 12mm extension tube, pol filter, 10 stop ND filter, remote release and tripod. I have a 28-105 that came with my A2e years ago but it just isn't sharp enough for the 6d. I might look for something to replace it at some point. On my next few trips I'm going to rent a few lens and try a few options and see if there is something I'm missing out on.

I really just need to win the lottery.

Todd

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Don't have any pics, but I have some kind of Lowepro bag with a Sony A77 that usually has my Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 or (very rarely) my old Itorex 135mm f/2.8 lens on it, I also have a Sony 35mm f/1.8 lens that never gets used.

Reactions: ZRex

Nef

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Malave
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC2UD
Don't really need a bag, just keep phone in pocket. Lol
Ok, seriously I did have some gear. Had it stolen recently so I try not to dwell on how much I had overspent on glass.

Reactions: ZRex

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

No photos but I have a Billingham Hadley Pro with assorted Fuji cameras and lenses. Sometimes, I'll carry my Nikon D7200 instead.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

This my bag for trips. It also holds my laptop.View attachment 83113
I have no idea what those cameras are but they look real expensive ... my daughter would know she has a photography business. I'm trying to convince her to pick-up some clients from the Overland Community ... we will see if she takes her Old Man's advise. Nice Camera's Brother!

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I have no idea what those cameras are but they look real expensive ... my daughter would know she has a photography business. I'm trying to convince her to pick-up some clients from the Overland Community ... we will see if she takes her Old Man's advise. Nice Camera's Brother!
Thanks. I use Sigma lens and a cannon EOS 77D. Not as expensive as some of other shutterbugs in this thread have. Hope your daughter picks up some clients.

Reactions: ZRex and PatriotT4R

jg45

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bartlett, TN
First Name
John
Last Name
Gilmer
Member #

I shoot a Pentax K-70 and normally have a Pentax 18-135 (most commonly used), Sigma 17-50 2.8 (for low light situations such as in old buildings), Pentax 55-300 (for a little reach), Rokinon 14mm 2.8 (for astrophotography), gps module, and various supplies. I also have my phone for the whatever shots.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I shoot a Pentax K-70 and normally have a Pentax 18-135 (most commonly used), Sigma 17-50 2.8 (for low light situations such as in old buildings), Pentax 55-300 (for a little reach), Rokinon 14mm 2.8 (for astrophotography), gps module, and various supplies. I also have my phone for the whatever shots.
How's that Rokinon 14mm doing for you? I shoot with a 10 / 20 mm Sigma which they don't seem to have anymore. Starting to look at another option.

Reactions: ZRex and PatriotT4R

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
In our kit bag lives a Fujifilm X-S1, X10, some filters, my dell 13 5000 2 in 1 laptop, ipad 128gb and chargers and connectors. It will be getting quite a work out this year...We are reviving our travel blog revolving around traveling with our 12 year old son who has autism. We will provide trip reports almost realtime, and give other parents some tips, insight and help.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

My traveling bag is a LowePro OffRoad waist pack that I got about 30 years ago. I usually have the side bags off, as my oft used lenses don't fit.

offroad.jpg

Nikon D750 body
Nikon F4 Body with MB-20 and MB-21 motor drives for when I want to use film.
Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm f/4G ED VR (Usually on the camera)
Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD (In one of Deb's Vera Bradley padded lunch bags. :smile:)
Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD (In its own bag)

I also have but don't carry with me:
Nikkor AF 16mm f/2.8D
Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4D
Nikkor AF 60mm f/2.8 Micro
Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.4D
Nikkor AF 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF
Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D ED-IF

Assorted flashes, tripods, monopods, reflectors, etc. I'd consider selling any of the latter listed lenses except the awesomely beautiful 85mm f/1.4 if there's any interest.

Plus a bunch of old 35mm, 120 roll film, 4X5 film, and subminiature cameras from the 1920s-1960s.

jg45

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bartlett, TN
First Name
John
Last Name
Gilmer
Member #

How's that Rokinon 14mm doing for you? I shoot with a 10 / 20 mm Sigma which they don't seem to have anymore. Starting to look at another option.
I'm very happy with it. It's really sharp and does very well in low light. Manual focus of course, but I'm usually shooting at infinity. I'll probably start using it for wide landscape shots as well due to its clarity. Not bad for a relatively cheap lens.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I carry my camera in a "Pelican-like" case from Princess Auto. It sits nicely on the floor boards behind the driver's seat in my Jeeps. It's small but it holds my Nikon D5000 with Nikkor 18-55 lens, Nikkor 55-200 lens & Nikon SpeedLight SB-700 plus a strap, some shades & a small accessory bag (not shown). When I'm out and about I just put the camera in my back pack.

I also have a small Minolta point & shoot that sometimes spends time in my glove box ... but really spend more time in my tool box in the garage.

Overall, I think I use my cell phone half of the time.

15-10-08 001.JPG 15-10-08 002.JPG

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Awesome guys! I love seeing all the gear you keep and hearing about how you use certain things! I've been ridiculously busy lately so I haven't been shooting as much as I should, I hope to get back out there soon!

cascadiarunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mount Shasta, CA, USA
Member #

I have about a dozen bags and cases I use depending on the situation but this is my latest setup for trips:

Endurax Extra Large Camera DSLR/SLR Backpack

This thing is HUGE. I'd never use it for backpacking around but it allows me to consolidate a lot of gear.

In the main upper compartment I carry a Canon 5D Mk IV, Panasonic GH5s (with metabones adapter for EF lenses) and 4 or so lenses of my choosing (out of about 10 lenses). This time it was the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 24-70 f/2.8L, 100mm Macro, 16-35 f/4L IS.

It has plenty of room for my ipad mini 4, lots of filters, cables, and microphones etc.

The best part, it has a lower compartment with a removable padded waist pack that is really nice but on this occasion I was able to fit my entire DJI Mavic 2 Pro fly more combo in the space!

I usually bring along a couple tripods (one for video, one for photo) and maybe a slider or a gimbal if I'm feeling fancy. I'm a photographer/videographer by trade so I didn't purchase all this stuff for a hobby.

When I've got a big gig! :grimacing:

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I need to find a decent bag that I can take hiking. Currently just a Nikon D5500 with the 18-55 kit lens, along with a couple of Go Pros and the assorted bits and bobs that go with them, as well as an older Nikon Coolpix P&S. I also will bring a Chromebook with a 4TB external hard drive to offload everything onto.