Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Im planning on going full time in about a year, It will be the time I will be able to sell the house and have time in the rig to learn about it. I am wanting to get a trailer and live in it while i still have my house to make any improvements, modifications to have it as self sufficient as possible (more solar panels, battery bank, and anything else I may need). As well as making sure it is broken in and anything that may be wrong can be fixed while I still have a place to stay.

I know some people have the Black series trailers on here and have read a little about them here and a lot on other forums. Im looking at the HQ21 and the other trailer is the Imperial outdoors XR22. I can find almost no information on the XR22 and wanted to know if anyone here does that they would like to share. Also any other recommendations for trailers would be great, as I am sure ive missed some. I would very much prefer a seperate shower and toilet since it will be full time.

Thank for all thanks for any help in advance.

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
I see no one else has responded, so I'll weigh in. We picked up our BS HQ15 on 17-July and spent one night bringing it home and another three nights at the coast last week. Love it so far! The BS trailers are overall well-engineered, but like any product with their approach (Austrailian engineering, Chinese manufacture, US final assembly) there will be things that need attention. Plus, if you use it like we use ours you'll break something nearly every trip from pushing the envelope. If you are handy then this should be no problem and just part of the adventure. RVs of America specializes in offroad trailers and now carries several brands, including BS and Imperial, and I think they are just down the road from you in Lindon, UT. They had several XR22's on their lot when we were there (not sure if all sold, as they do a lot of pre-orders nationwide - they have a lot of detailed videos on youtube). ROA did a good job of going through our trailer to make sure everything was up to spec and even went the extra mile by staying up most of a Friday night replacing a blown inverter (bad shore wiring) with an upgraded Victron unit (obtained custom programming from Battleborn to match our batteries). Apologies if the vendor reference violates any terms - please remove post if so, or let me know and I'll pull it.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Thanks for the response, I didnt get a notification for some reason. Ive heard so many good things about the Black Series Campers, and there is very little about the Imperials. I ended up going with the HQ19. It has a lot of the amenities of home, since thats what ill be using it as, and a washing machine, probably the biggest selling point (I can bring myself to use a laundromat).

I should be picking it up later this week and using it just about evey weekend I can from here on out to work out all the bugs.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Went and picked up the Black Series HQ19 today. I love it an can't wait to full time in it. I have a little over a year to work out any bugs and get it where I want before I sell the house.

Attachments

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

Carlsbad, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

Love to hear any feedback about the trailer/towing it. My wife and I are interested in the 21’ version. I’ll need to step up to a diesel to pull it, my current YukonXL can’t handle the 10,000lb fully loaded weight. (I don’t want to be struggling up all the mountain passes here in the west even if it could barely handle it).- thinking Ram 2500. I’ll hope to turn the truck into a stand alone overlander when I’m not pulling the HQ. All dreams for now!

Attachments

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I will Keep updated on this thread with the adventures. Pulling it yesterday for the little bit of time was very smooth and better than any other trailer I have pulled. I spend a lot of time in the sawtooth mountains so I'll ket you know how it pulls when I get it up there.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Had a good weekend out. Learned a bit while I was out. First, the HQ19 pulls like a dream offroad, almost did not notice it was there on dirt mountain roads. Only time I could really tell is hearing the engine when going up the really steep grades (thats what i get for having a gasser).

I found that prepping the filtered water system took a lot more water than I thought. I went through almost the entire 16 gallons of the tank before it started coming out drinkable. (may have been drinkable before but had a bleachy flavor/smell to it that was terrible. the general water tank was good off the get go and the water quality was as good as what I put in.

The propane fridge is awesome, only took about two hours for it to cool to the proper temperatures on propane. Had it running 3 days straight and only used about 30% of one tank (this included using the burners a few times).

There is only one outlet that runs off of the inverter powered by the battery bank (solar system). Knowing this ahead of time I got a 6 outlet surge protector to charge/power everything I could need, and it worked very well. The 400w solar system was more than enough to keep everything up and going, batteries never dropped under 80% even running the speakers and charging laptop/phone overnight, as well as using the microwave a bit for heat up a midnight snack.

A great outing with the HQ19 and ill be going out again next week. So far there is nothing that is bothersome or needs immediate attention. I would like to find out how I can run all of the outlets on the solar inverter (this would make the washer useable off shore power), but I am sure i will figure that out before I go full time.

Attachments

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Did you think about going for a electric compressor fridge? Using up propane constantly for the fridge doesn't seem very good / smart or efficient when living in it full-time?

Reactions: HatchetMatt and K12

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Did you think about going for a electric compressor fridge? Using up propane constantly for the fridge doesn't seem very good / smart or efficient when living in it full-time?
there is not much option to swap the fridge in thr HQ19. but the fridge will work off of 120v as well, right nowits wire to shore power. My thoughts are to try and wire it into the inverter running off the solar battery bank. Then it will use propane or electric, whichever is more efficient (propane to cool initially, electric to maintain).

Reactions: MazeVX

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
I'll chime in with a bit about our HQ15 now that we've had it out a few times......
1) Tows like a dream behind our '21 Ranger XLT (Icon Stage 2, Shrockworks bumper & sliders, winch, Air Lift bags in back running at 50 lbs when towing - coming in just a bit over 5K lbs). So far we've got about 1500 miles and no issues up or down passes or off road (we do have to air down, uncouple the WDH and pop into at least 4H, but having a shower makes it worth it!)
2) Independent suspension really helps with lane control compared to other trailers I've towed. The HQ15 is 4700 lbs dry, ~5500 lbs wet and we are running a McHitch with Equalizer weight distributing hitch. Very little sway even in gusty (am guessing 40 mph) winds. No white knuckle action so far, but we only tow at around 60 mph. We're still well below tow weight (7500) and gross combined (12K)
3) Fuel mileage sucks at around 10 mpg, but that's on par with similar gasser rigs we've owned. The HQ15 comes with Jerry can holders in the back for another 10 gallons, but my bladder gives out before the main tank on the highway and we haven't gone far enough off-road yet to need to use the cans.
4) BS is playing catch-as-catch can with many of the parts these days, so check to make sure any trailer you are looking at has the stuff you expeded. In general we've been very happy with the changes, including:
- White upholstery - way cool - we're not into the whole black is best style and are even painting the upper half of our trailer to match the Ranger Oxford White. I did have the back cushions for the dinette cut down to 14" high to fit a bit better and squared off with firmer foam.
- Diesel furnace - I love this, as Diesel is way more BTU's per weight than propane which hugely extends our time between refills. The fill spout for the Diesel is a bit inconvenient and the fuel pump on the furnace is a bit noisy, but we're not generally cold-weather campers and so far have only run it for a couple of hours in the morning. Fuel burn is a 3-4 ounces per hour at full blast and the tank is 2.5g
- Compressor fridge - not sure if this is just what they could get or some other reason, but ours is full-time 12v compressor and so far no problems keeping cold. The HQ15 has a fairly small fridge, so we keep a Dometic 75 in the truck if we're going off-grid for more than a couple of days. Not sure how much solar on top - 3 panels with an MPPT - the solar generally keeps everything topped off just fine unless we use the micro-wave or AC (see mods, below).
- Better tires - these are Lion 11 ply range E with a decent tread pattern. Was planning on upgrading to KO2s but after using these a bit we'll probably keep them until/unless they start throwing issues or we head into more sand (will go wider).
- Not sure if they intended this use case, but there is a 10ga Anderson compatible plug that runs off the battery pack to the front of the trailer - used to power the electric jack (also has a manual jack, which is faster) and charge the disconnect brake, but I have overloaded it to take a charge from my RedArc DC-DC charger in the truck, so now I can run the fridge, charge the truck aux battery and the trailer batteries all at the same time - still playing with load and current balancing, but generally works well as long as things aren't too discharged or disparate (if so, the fridge throws and over-current fault).

5) I highly recommend RVs of America - top notch guys with overlanding as their passion - we had them handle several mods that make things better, including:
- upgrade to 400Ah of Battleborn LiFePO4 - I have used these in other applications and they are top notch - a true 400Ah of available energy should we need it, and about half the weight of AGMs.
- upgrade to Victron Smart Inverter - way worth the cost to purchase and install - very efficient and about a 5W overhead draw - big kudos to Tony at ROA for working with Battleborn to get a custom charging profile installed. With the Victron/Battleborn combo we converted all AC items to run off the inverter, so any shore power goes through the inverter first. This allows us to condition the power and also run the AC and microwave (at the same time) for quite awhile (about 4 hours for just the AC) without shore power.
- McHitch - I honestly don't know how we would have hooked up at some of the angles we've encountered without this hitch - you still have to line things up pretty well, but there is a weird satisfaction to seeing the hitch connect all by itself as I back up rather than having to try several times to line things up for a pin.
- various other bits like extra 12v ports for our BiPAPs, sewer hose holder, 2" receiver on the back, etc.

6) I've already scratched it up pretty good and have nothing but respect for the design - great bones for sure. If this were a regular trailer we'd have a pile of toothpicks rather than a few dents that I have been able to pull/pound back out. I've already cleaned up and repainted the lower half (Rustoleum etching primer and semi-gloss black are a nearly perfect match for the stock paint). Once we get the top painted I'll be able to use the Oxford White rattle cans from ExpressPaint for anything needing attention on the top. And I plan to try Novus on the polycarbonate windows once they get scratched up a bit more (we'd have broken most of the windows by now had they been glass, but the dual glazed polycarbonate is really impressive!)

7) OK, finally, gripes:
- The door has a vent at the bottom, probably for toxic gas escape for the .001% of the time that's needed, but the rest of the time it was letting in all the dust and tiny critters that we came across. I've closed it off with black expanding foam, so if you read about the guy whose trailer exploded after filling up with propane that was probably me, but at least it will have been less dusty explosion ;-)
- Colors - not a huge fan of the black/silver/red-orange and all the brand-promoting decals just asking to get scratched up - but that's pretty much all gone now and we'll have a simple white on black scheme that I can easily maintain going forward, and maybe a mountain decal or two where they're less likely to get torn.

Yiikes, this turned out way longer than I planned. Let me know if questions. Here's a pic from when we first got it (I'll post another after the painting next week):

20210724_070012.jpg

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

there is not much option to swap the fridge in thr HQ19. but the fridge will work off of 120v as well, right nowits wire to shore power. My thoughts are to try and wire it into the inverter running off the solar battery bank. Then it will use propane or electric, whichever is more efficient (propane to cool initially, electric to maintain).
Over here the most rv manufacturers switched over from propane to electric fridges just recently and sometimes it's a factory option.
But hey your trailer is super crazy! Such a massive thing

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I'll chime in with a bit about our HQ15 now that we've had it out a few times......
1) Tows like a dream behind our '21 Ranger XLT (Icon Stage 2, Shrockworks bumper & sliders, winch, Air Lift bags in back running at 50 lbs when towing - coming in just a bit over 5K lbs). So far we've got about 1500 miles and no issues up or down passes or off road (we do have to air down, uncouple the WDH and pop into at least 4H, but having a shower makes it worth it!)
2) Independent suspension really helps with lane control compared to other trailers I've towed. The HQ15 is 4700 lbs dry, ~5500 lbs wet and we are running a McHitch with Equalizer weight distributing hitch. Very little sway even in gusty (am guessing 40 mph) winds. No white knuckle action so far, but we only tow at around 60 mph. We're still well below tow weight (7500) and gross combined (12K)
3) Fuel mileage sucks at around 10 mpg, but that's on par with similar gasser rigs we've owned. The HQ15 comes with Jerry can holders in the back for another 10 gallons, but my bladder gives out before the main tank on the highway and we haven't gone far enough off-road yet to need to use the cans.
4) BS is playing catch-as-catch can with many of the parts these days, so check to make sure any trailer you are looking at has the stuff you expeded. In general we've been very happy with the changes, including:
- White upholstery - way cool - we're not into the whole black is best style and are even painting the upper half of our trailer to match the Ranger Oxford White. I did have the back cushions for the dinette cut down to 14" high to fit a bit better and squared off with firmer foam.
- Diesel furnace - I love this, as Diesel is way more BTU's per weight than propane which hugely extends our time between refills. The fill spout for the Diesel is a bit inconvenient and the fuel pump on the furnace is a bit noisy, but we're not generally cold-weather campers and so far have only run it for a couple of hours in the morning. Fuel burn is a 3-4 ounces per hour at full blast and the tank is 2.5g
- Compressor fridge - not sure if this is just what they could get or some other reason, but ours is full-time 12v compressor and so far no problems keeping cold. The HQ15 has a fairly small fridge, so we keep a Dometic 75 in the truck if we're going off-grid for more than a couple of days. Not sure how much solar on top - 3 panels with an MPPT - the solar generally keeps everything topped off just fine unless we use the micro-wave or AC (see mods, below).
- Better tires - these are Lion 11 ply range E with a decent tread pattern. Was planning on upgrading to KO2s but after using these a bit we'll probably keep them until/unless they start throwing issues or we head into more sand (will go wider).
- Not sure if they intended this use case, but there is a 10ga Anderson compatible plug that runs off the battery pack to the front of the trailer - used to power the electric jack (also has a manual jack, which is faster) and charge the disconnect brake, but I have overloaded it to take a charge from my RedArc DC-DC charger in the truck, so now I can run the fridge, charge the truck aux battery and the trailer batteries all at the same time - still playing with load and current balancing, but generally works well as long as things aren't too discharged or disparate (if so, the fridge throws and over-current fault).

5) I highly recommend RVs of America - top notch guys with overlanding as their passion - we had them handle several mods that make things better, including:
- upgrade to 400Ah of Battleborn LiFePO4 - I have used these in other applications and they are top notch - a true 400Ah of available energy should we need it, and about half the weight of AGMs.
- upgrade to Victron Smart Inverter - way worth the cost to purchase and install - very efficient and about a 5W overhead draw - big kudos to Tony at ROA for working with Battleborn to get a custom charging profile installed. With the Victron/Battleborn combo we converted all AC items to run off the inverter, so any shore power goes through the inverter first. This allows us to condition the power and also run the AC and microwave (at the same time) for quite awhile (about 4 hours for just the AC) without shore power.
- McHitch - I honestly don't know how we would have hooked up at some of the angles we've encountered without this hitch - you still have to line things up pretty well, but there is a weird satisfaction to seeing the hitch connect all by itself as I back up rather than having to try several times to line things up for a pin.
- various other bits like extra 12v ports for our BiPAPs, sewer hose holder, 2" receiver on the back, etc.

6) I've already scratched it up pretty good and have nothing but respect for the design - great bones for sure. If this were a regular trailer we'd have a pile of toothpicks rather than a few dents that I have been able to pull/pound back out. I've already cleaned up and repainted the lower half (Rustoleum etching primer and semi-gloss black are a nearly perfect match for the stock paint). Once we get the top painted I'll be able to use the Oxford White rattle cans from ExpressPaint for anything needing attention on the top. And I plan to try Novus on the polycarbonate windows once they get scratched up a bit more (we'd have broken most of the windows by now had they been glass, but the dual glazed polycarbonate is really impressive!)

7) OK, finally, gripes:
- The door has a vent at the bottom, probably for toxic gas escape for the .001% of the time that's needed, but the rest of the time it was letting in all the dust and tiny critters that we came across. I've closed it off with black expanding foam, so if you read about the guy whose trailer exploded after filling up with propane that was probably me, but at least it will have been less dusty explosion ;-)
- Colors - not a huge fan of the black/silver/red-orange and all the brand-promoting decals just asking to get scratched up - but that's pretty much all gone now and we'll have a simple white on black scheme that I can easily maintain going forward, and maybe a mountain decal or two where they're less likely to get torn.

View attachment 207621
A lot of what you have done makes sense and are things I plan on doing eventually, as money permits. The propane fridge is ok with me since the ony two things running propane are the fridge and water heat (which I dont use much at all).

Th McHitch was a great upgrade, worth every penny just because of the ease of use. I have seen alot about RoA, the hard part is going to be getting up that way (although they are not to far) but I will have to get time off work to make it there.

Overall I absolutely love the trailer (I like the color scheme). Won't be able to make it out again this week as unexpected plans came up. But Labor day weekend im going out for 5 days with some friends to explore the Sawtooth mountains.

Reactions: ProtonDecay

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Been a while since I updated anything here. I have taken the HQ19 out a couple of times now and love it. Only fixes I am looking to do are those I mentioned above, as well as a soft start AC unit, but that will be further in the future. It's currently at the dealer while I am recovering from surgery so they can put on the water tank heating pads (they where supposed to be on when I bought it).

Now its building out the new (old) Ram 2500 megacab to fit everything else that I am going to want. I have the ARB dual compressor mounted up and in the few weeks its been on I have been able to use it twice to help people out. I want a topper for the bed then custom build a rack that spans the length of the toppper and cab. This will be for gas cans, recovery boards, and other bulkier items, as well as 2 or 3 solar panels to charge the Goal Zero Yeti 1500x.

I would love idea and suggestions, I tend to massively overengineer anything and then it weighs too much. I want to keep the rack as light as possible but able to hold 300-400lbs off road (this is spanning the entire bed and roof). I am going to be doing a drawer and shelving system inside the bed after I get the topper as well, that will hold more items that need to be more secured.

Any help and suggestions (pictures would be awesome) of ways to accomplish any of this would be awesome.

Last edited:

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Git a lot done to the truck and HQ19 to go full time. Added shelving to cabinets for a little more storage and drawers for the hard to reach low cabinets. Was able to wire up a second solar charger and anderson plug to the front of the trailer to charge off the truck panels. Was also able to wire in so the GFCI outlets previously only on shore power now run off of the inverter. Also prewired for the AC unit to run off of the inverter when I can afford to swap that out and have enough solar power to compensate.

The only thing slowing the full-time move is the delivery of the expedition one bumper. Once that ships I am going to sell the house and start traveling.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Been getting a ton of stuff done the last few weeks. Got the starlink setup in and installed on the 12v System. Took a bit to figure it out but it is not fully functional. I have a place to mount Dishy McFlatface on top of the HQ19 and can still use the stand to run it on the ground outside. Used a waterproof por through the side to connect the dish to the router on the inside. Router, dish and Cerbo GX are all on their own switches so i can power them individually.

Also in the process of redoing the galley seating area. I am going with green waterproof fabric for the harder portions and backer. Will be much easier to keep clean than white leather with 2 dogs. The seat cushions will be a medium dark grey. I want to make it wrap around seeting like the photo below. I have gotten the seat back for the long wall all done and ready to glue in. Waiting to build the bench addition until the seat cushion come in. Should be pretty quick finishing up after that.

About 3 weeks until the house goes on the market

Attachments

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Mostly finished with the seating. All but the cushion covers have been done. Lots of extra room, super comfortable and a little bit more storage under the bench seat. also covers up a hideous outlet in the wall. Also have a sample of the new fabric color. should turn out great when those get complete.

Attachments

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Mostly finished with the seating. All but the cushion covers have been done. Lots of extra room, super comfortable and a little bit more storage under the bench seat. also covers up a hideous outlet in the wall. Also have a sample of the new fabric color. should turn out great when those get complete.
Awesome! As I write this we are sitting in the Quinault Rainforest next to our HQ15. Our SL sits on the truck 90% of the time, but can go onto a mast on the back of the trailer when needed. I kept the white leather, but had a car upholstery shop cut down the back cushions to fit and replace with firmer foam. Hope you have a lot of great experiences with your rig!

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Awesome! As I write this we are sitting in the Quinault Rainforest next to our HQ15. Our SL sits on the truck 90% of the time, but can go onto a mast on the back of the trailer when needed. I kept the white leather, but had a car upholstery shop cut down the back cushions to fit and replace with firmer foam. Hope you have a lot of great experiences with your rig!
The back cushions definitely dont have enough foam. I will likely change that as well, but we will see what happens after the covers are done. I am going with aquaclean fabric so it cleans up with water and is stain resistant. With two 80+lb dogs its impossible to keep anything white not looking disgusting.

Maybe we will cross paths on our travels. I am hoping to sell the house quickly, estimated date to be traveling is Januaty 1. This is obviously dependant on the sale of the house.

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
The back cushions definitely dont have enough foam. I will likely change that as well, but we will see what happens after the covers are done. I am going with aquaclean fabric so it cleans up with water and is stain resistant. With two 80+lb dogs its impossible to keep anything white not looking disgusting.

Maybe we will cross paths on our travels. I am hoping to sell the house quickly, estimated date to be traveling is Januaty 1. This is obviously dependant on the sale of the house.
Yeah, hit me up if you make it out to Northern California (anywhere north of Monterey) and I'll either help you find some great spots or go with you to them.