702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
Just curious what some of you guys are running as far as tire pressure goes? Have you ever rolled a bead because you got too low? I've been rolling around 26 to 28 PSI on my FJ. But I've been watching videos and seeing guys going much lower than that. Not talking sand but more of your typical rocky off-road trail.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmwguru

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Just curious what some of you guys are running as far as tire pressure goes? Have you ever rolled a bead because you got too low? I've been rolling around 26 to 28 PSI I've been watching videos and see guys go much lower than that. not talking sand but more of your typical rocky off-road trail.
I'm new to the overlanding stuff but I see a lot of people running 18psi for offroad travels. Much lower than that and bead locks may be required. The Staun tire delfators come pre set to 18psi if that helps. I have run 18psi and have not rolled a bead...yet.

Reactions: BCBrian and 702FJC

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I've been running at 20 PSI. Regular is 20 on door frame. I'm not sure 29 is correct based on the size of tires, lift and weight of vehicle. I just got chalk to run a test but it has been raining and I've been looking for a flat area.

Reactions: 702FJC

2RiversRanchExpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Dayville, OR, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Letosky
Member #

We have been running 18 PSI for about 2 years now anytime we are off pavement. The wife has some back pain problems here and there so we air down whether its a decent forest service road or a really rocky 4-low trail. Have not had any issues. Makes everything MUCH more comfortable.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCBrian and 702FJC

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It depends on what im driving on.
33" e rated to 80psi mud tires on 17"rims:
Highway driving/ normal 60 psi
NF roads between 60 and 55 psi
Mud between 60 and 45 psi
Rocks between 50 and 35psi
Sand 30 psi to as low as 20
Ive left them at 60 and have had problem on any of these terrains just a rougher ride.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
I always drop to 18 psi when I hit the dirt.

First and foremost, reducing the tire pressure down from road pressures makes a huge difference regarding traction. It also makes the truck ride much nicer on washboard/rough roads.

Smaller diameter wheels with high profile tires work best. Large diameter wheels and low profile tires are best kept on the pavement.

Last edited:

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

I have heard don’t go lower than your wheel size. Don’t know if it is true or not but we run 17 psi a lot. Sometimes if we’ll only be on dirt for 15 miles or so, we’ll just air down to 20-25 psi. Saves a lot of time to air up and it smooths out the ride. Normal is 37 psi.

Todd

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
It depends on your vehicle weight, tire size, and tire construction.

On my 4Runner with 265/75R16s (~32s) I run 17-18psi on the trail and could go lower if I needed to.
On my Tacoma with 265/70R17s (~32s) the same 17-18psi is way too low and leads to the bead leaking air when pinched on rocks.

In general, for most of our tires it should be safe to go down to 20psi. Below that requires experimentation to see how things work with your particular setup.

Dualsportrider

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Rizzo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
48psi on the fj. I only aired down once. I'll just stick with 48psi. 275/70 17

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
It depends on your vehicle weight, tire size, and tire construction.

On my 4Runner with 265/75R16s (~32s) I run 17-18psi on the trail and could go lower if I needed to.
On my Tacoma with 265/70R17s (~32s) the same 17-18psi is way too low and leads to the bead leaking air when pinched on rocks.

In general, for most of our tires it should be safe to go down to 20psi. Below that requires experimentation to see how things work with your particular setup.

Just curious what you run on your Tacoma? I currently have 265/70/17 on my FJ as well.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Matters a lot on the tire and the vehicle , the previous owner of my xterra put a set of E rated tire and they are like bricks on this thing . They are down to 18 psi in these pics , at 25 you wouldn’t know they are aired down .
8EBBF7EB-B39B-421C-887D-A289B3126C57.jpeg88AD5916-0026-4F17-88DE-5F8C4EB7EB88.jpeg

But for the most part gravel roads 18 psi
Snow 12-15 , Only lost a bead once but with a ratchet strap and a air compressor it’s pretty quick to get it back on the bead.

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

I read this post, and actually had to go outside and check my tire pressure just to find out..

i usually have my air and tire tools with me on adventures or while offroading just incase i hit a spot where i feel like i need to air down and not once have i ever stopped to blamed the tire pressure. theyre great on road and off road in some of the toughest rock gardens and hills in the country.

it may not be for everyone, but for me.... the magic number is 30

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
There are a number of factors that need to be considered. The tire design, rim design (especially wrt beadlocks), vehicle weight and road/trail conditions are probably the biggest factors.

For my XJ with 30" tires and stock steel 15" wheels I am comfortable with 18-20psi on most trails.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
On my bronco with 32" Bighorns and stock 15" wheels I go down to 15 lbs, on my 2500 Ram with 35" tires on 16" beadlocks I go down to 10 on normal fs roads and drop all the way to 5 on rocks, mud, and snow. when I get beadlocks for the bronco I will lower to 5 or less on the rocks and snow.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I agree the main reasons to air down is better traction and smoother ride but, another very important reason is it will reduce the chance of a puncture from rocks and other objects. With a low tire pressure it allows the tread or even the sidewalls to deflect more and resist being punctured.

I am running 35x12.5 - 17s they are E rated tires Mfg suggested pressure is 65 psi for a really heavy truck... My Tahoe loaded is only 6900 lbs. Nowhere near the 3200 pounds per tire rating.

Normal paved road driving or if I am running dirt roads and sand in the desert at 40 to 70 MPH I will keep it at 45 psi so the tire will not heat up as much.

Rocks, mud and sand running at crawl speeds to 35 mph I will air down between 18 to 25 psi.