What portable air are you using in your rig?

• HTML tutorial

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'm going to be needing portable air eventually. What units are y'all using, and are you happy with it? Suggestions on what to look for or what to avoid?

Thanks,

Steve

Reactions: F8OO

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Steve,

Iam using a T-max compressor. 150psi max 72ltr/minute

I used it last weekend for the first time, but just to inflate a air bed. hehe.
I will test it in a short while and make a report.

Greetings from Robert

Reactions: F8OO

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I'm using the ARB dual compressor. It's one of the more expensive options but it airs up my 33" BFG KO's from 18 PSI to 35 PSI in under 2 minutes per tire. I have it mounted on a portable skid with quick connects so I can use it on any of my vehicles. It even has enough output to run air tools on the trails and is 100% duty rated. Even after airing up 8 tires in a row (buddy doesn't have a compressor) it still maintains incredible output.

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board-High-Performance-12-Volt-Twin-Air-Compressor-CKMTA12-P21341.aspx

I also considered the VIAIR compressors for the savings but in the end, you just can't go wrong with ARB.

P.S. Another very affordable option that has gotten good reviews is the PUMA compressor you can find on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-volt-1-5-gal-air-compressor-Puma-Hotdog-PD-1006-/381221353405

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thanks guys. I'm thinking more like Robert's example than the large units with tanks that StringTwelve posted. I'll only have 225-70-16 tires, so not a ton of volume to fill, nor space for a large compressor. Otherwise, I'd add an inverter and take along my 110V pancake compressor. I've seen the Viair 450 on a couple lists, as it is 100% duty cycle for 40 minutes. Just curious what else people find reliable.

Thanks,
Steve

Reactions: Luis Merlo

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

I've used this one for a few years now:

It's proved to be a very good bit of kit and wasn't particularly expensive at around $100. It's a T Max Double Pump Portable Air Compressor. Pumps up my 33s without any probs and stores away easily as it's fairly compact.

Reactions: F8OO and W6WWK

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thanks, Duncan. A quick Google of that looks like it has several favorable reviews. I appreciate the input!

Steve

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

No worries, Steve. Yes, it's well reviewed and popular here in the UK. There's a newer version out now but you can probably still find this version online.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I'm surprised no one's mentioned any CO2 options?  I'm thinking of a Powertank or something similar, though I haven't ruled out repurposing the Rovers on-board EAS pump and tank.  The nice things about the CO2 solutions are the speed of airing up and no need for power, though the downside would be the need to replenish.

E

expeditionnorth

I wanted an arb but couldnt justify the price

so I have an MF1050 mounted under the hood

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thanks guys. That would be wonderful to do, Mike, if I didn't have 973 other things under the hood... :wink:

(Not mine, but same year/model)

I'd never considered CO2, Peter. That looks like an expensive route to go for the minimal air needs I'd have. I can see where it would be handy for frequent use, as long as filling was inexpensive and nearby.

Oldmancrash

Rank 0

Contributor I

I also just picked up the MF-1050. I have spent many hours of time searching the internet. Every time I turned around this little $60 pump kept coming up and getting great reviews. I was going to buy the ARB dual pump but my whole plan of building my 95 Tacoma truck is to build it at a cost most everyone can afford including buying the truck. My plans were to just carry the pump in the supplied bag. I told my wife the other day that I would really like to mount the pump on a tank and permanent mount it in the back of the truck. So I have been looking at 2 gallon aluminum tanks. Well we were at Lowes the other day and she spotted a 7 gallon air tank with a bunch of accessories in sale. I was told she was buying it for me. LOL So I have spent a few minutes on amazon and have ordered a one way stainless line from the pump to the tank. A pressure switch so when it falls under 110 psi the pump automatically turns on and restores pressure to 150psi. I plan on running a second battery in the bed of the truck beside my in-bed storage box. Then feed the pump via a Blue Seas blade fuse block. I hope to install a 3 way switch so I can turn the pump on from inside the cab or in the truck bed. I hope to have it all installed in the next couple weeks. I am sorry I got so long winded.

P.S I have also read a couple articles of guys running 2 of these pumps and they are totally impressed. So if it works well I might just do that also

Reactions: Captain Josh
E

expeditionnorth

Well we were at Lowes the other day and she spotted a 7 gallon air tank with a bunch of accessories in sale. I was told she was buying it for me. LOL So I have spent a few minutes on amazon and have ordered a one way stainless line from the pump to the tank. A pressure switch so when it falls under 110 psi the pump automatically turns on and restores pressure to 150psi. I plan on running a second battery in the bed of the truck beside my in-bed storage box. Then feed the pump via a Blue Seas blade fuse block. I hope to install a 3 way switch so I can turn the pump on from inside the cab or in the truck bed. I hope to have it all installed in the next couple weeks. I am sorry I got so long winded.

P.S I have also read a couple articles of guys running 2 of these pumps and they are totally impressed. So if it works well I might just do that also
[/quote]

cant wait to see this

the only problem I've had with mine is in -20* temps it took forever to fill my gf's 215/75 tire & they are a bit noisy too

iamout

Rank III
Founder 500

Advocate II

Hi Steve. I have no air sourse at this time. but is on my to do list...together with 1,ooo other things :-O

nice air set ups guys!

Frisly

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thanks for all the input, guys! Once I get tires and suspension sorted, I am going to start on the layout for storage and hardware inside. I'll mod something with air at that point. On our cross country travels, I want to take the back seat completely out and turn that into storage.

I appreciate your information!

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

I aired down for the first time today. Funny this came up. I used a Slime compressor, built for emergency use, but it worked fine. I will absolutely need something better in the future.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey @steve I did a review of the Slime Tire repair and inflator kit I use. Here is a link:

[button color="orange" size="big" link="http://overlandbound.com/slime-tire-repair-kit-review/" target="blank" ]Slime Tire Compressor[/button]

I am going to go the route @stringtwelve went soon, but need to save my pennies!

M

Reactions: Wired_

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
11130 said:
I aired down for the first time today. Funny this came up. I used a Slime compressor, built for emergency use, but it worked fine. I will absolutely need something better in the future.
Ha! Robert, we probably have the same one. Great in a pinch, but 9 minutes per tire - sheesh! I'll get something better in a bit.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Right Michael! It's the same. I have it for emergencies and last Saturday was way up in the Ventana wilderness again and wanted to see what my truck could do. I figured why not try airing down. (Climbed a very steep wash out no problem at all) I was surprised at how much difference it made. If I needed it more often...and soon I just may...I'd save up and get a system too. But, for 30 bucks, it's nice peace of mind.

Oldmancrash

Rank 0

Contributor I

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. The good: only took about 18 minutes to pump  7 gallon tank to 140psi. The bad: I have 150 psi switch in use so the pump will turn off automatically. It never got over 145 psi running 30 minutes. So I need to order a 140 psi switch. Then I can the pump on when out wheeling and it will turn it's self off. I think this will work good. Maybe not. I have pictures of what parts I picked up at ACE hardware and from amazon. But at the moment I am in Las Vegas on vacation with my wife. So hopefully next week when life gets back to normal. I will post a DIY if that's ok and show everything.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

That is a nice setup, Maurice! At home, I have an old freon tank with a Shraeder valve and hose with quick-disconnect. I pump it up with my big stationary compressor, and use it to top of the tires on the cars. But I don't have room in the Outback for a tanked portable air system. There's not even room under the hood to mount a small tank.

thanks for posting that, and I look forward to the details. I am sure they can be useful to others, and maybe me down the road.