Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I also have a Morakniv with integrated fire starter. I think it has a good quality at an acceptable price.

Reactions: Road

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
The knives that came in our Coleman campware kit are razor sharp. Sliced my hand open doing dishes on one.
If those don’t cut it... I got 2 little wicked sharp knives, I don’t know what they are for specifically but they cut most things.
For more utilitarian things I keep my kabar in the truck.
EDC includes my gerber pocket knife and multi tool

Reactions: DaleRF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
The knives that came in our Coleman campware kit are razor sharp. Sliced my hand open doing dishes on one.
If those don’t cut it... I got 2 little wicked sharp knives, I don’t know what they are for specifically but they cut most things.
For more utilitarian things I keep my kabar in the truck.
EDC includes my gerber pocket knife and multi tool
Yep. Multi tools are really useful!

Reactions: Dusther210

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
My daily carry is a spyderco G-10, in the backcountry I add a multi tool, and the m9 bayonet by Ontario knives. I went through knives like crazy while in the Army and in combat zones. These 2 were the only survivors in the last 18 years. I've had fixed, folding, auto's, cold steel, blackhawk, Benchmade, SOG, and Camillus, when it was Camillus. Benchmade and Camillus were in 2nd place. While the Spyderco G-10 isn't a good utility, The Gerber multi-tool is it. I got the one with the scissors, I never have scissors!! The bayonet is a beast, you can pry a car door open with it, plus if you have an AR with a bayonet lug, nuff said. I've been shot at and guns pointed at me plenty, but I've never encountered a fixed bayonet, I'm not sure how I would feel about that.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I've had and loved to use that same knife from Morakniv for almost 4yrs now, though mine is carbon steel. I have too many Moraknivs stashed around, really, though enjoy them all; so experiment with both carbon steel and stainless to compare care and maintenance, sharpening ease, and usage.

You really can't go wrong with Moraknivs. Superb steel, and for the price, an amazingly good value. Their Clipper and Companion knives are still under $20.00, and their Kansbol and Garberg are great because they're easy on either side of your belt or pack, not being in just right-handed sheath.

I also have too many Opinel knives, that I'll get into sometime in a separate post.
i never heard of this brand until your post....so i ordered the moraknivs companion and it seems to be a good little knife. i'm keeping it in the truck full time as a utility knife. glad you posted, i'll definitely look at this brand again when i need another knife

1619297571613.png

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
i never heard of this brand until your post....so i ordered the moraknivs companion and it seems to be a good little knife. i'm keeping it in the truck full time as a utility knife. glad you posted, i'll definitely look at this brand again when i need another knife

View attachment 196023
Is that a dense plastic/rubber material for the handle? I had a couple SOG with molded handles and they fell apart...literally, chunks began to separate/fall. Weird, but I'm cautious of them now. I even contacted SOG who asked me to send them pictures - which I did - and...nothing. No response. No replacement, didn't even respond to tell me 'sorry, but, we're not going to replace those'. So, I put my $$ elsewhere.

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Is that a dense plastic/rubber material for the handle? I had a couple SOG with molded handles and they fell apart...literally, chunks began to separate/fall. Weird, but I'm cautious of them now. I even contacted SOG who asked me to send them pictures - which I did - and...nothing. No response. No replacement, didn't even respond to tell me 'sorry, but, we're not going to replace those'. So, I put my $$ elsewhere.
knives have definitely gone down in quality along with everything else....i used to like old timer knives and i was given one as a very young kid and liked it. bought one 30 yrs later and nowhere as good. same for my gerber, buck, sog, schrade, etc

the moraknivs companion i just bought says made in sweden on the blade and the handle is plastic and rubber. the plastic part up by the bolster seems to be solid, but the plastic butt is hollow and you can hear it if you tap it. the handle is rubber and seems to be molded to an inner plastic handle. can't really tell, but it doesn't seem to be full tang, either. the sheath is plastic, but looks like it will hold up ok. i have a us divers dive knife with the same kind of plastic sheath that is over 30 yrs old and still doing great. the blade on the moraknivs seems good and it came very sharp. i didn't look close to see what kind of grind is on the blade, but i'm sure a few swipes on the diamond stone and it will be very sharp. for $18 i'd say its a fairly solid buy

when i was a commercial diver, we bought big chief knives that were a stainless folder with an aluminum handle. indestructable and i'd sharpen it with a file or piece of brick, whatever and it held a decent edge. they were cheap as hell back then and might have been around $8 and was better than a lot of the more expensive brands. i haven't seen the big chief around anymore for a long time...but that would make a great camp knife to use as a beater

Last edited:
Reactions: FishinCrzy and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

View attachment 196023
Cool, glad you got one to try out!

They're a very good value, are very sharp on arrival, and keep an edge a long time. Moraknivs have a terrific reputation among bushcraft guys, survivalists, and general knife lovers. Very popular knives.

There are a ton of videos online on Moraknivs. About the Scandi grind various Moras have, how to best sharpen them so as to not ruin the bevel or change it for a different type of use; making leather sheaths for these, etc. One even that cuts a handle open. Here's their site: Morakniv. Lots to look at there.

I see someone asked about the sheath. It will not fail, not in my experience using them all over for years.

Here's just a few of my Moras I could lay my hands on quick:

morakniv_6130-900.jpeg

L > R in above and below images:
1. Clipper (carbon steel)
2. Companion Tactical (black stainless steel)
3. Companion 125th (stainless) from 2017 125th Anniversary of Morakniv
4. Garberg Full Tang (stainless)
5. Kansbol (stainless)

morakniv_6131-900.jpg

=======

morakniv_6135-900.jpeg

L > R in above and below:
1. Companion Tactical (black stainless steel)
2. Garberg Full Tang (stainless)
3. Kansbol (stainless)

morakniv_6134-800.jpeg
The image above gives a much better comparison of blade and handle profiles of the Companion, Garberg, and Kansbol.

morakniv_6136-800.jpeg
L > R:
1. Clipper (carbon steel)
2. Companion 125th (stainless)

I keep the Mora Companion 125 in my driver's door pocket full time, and the others in various places in the van.

I also have, in packs and tool boxes, the Mora "Bushcraft Survival" with ferro rod and diamond sharpener incorporated into the handle. It has a more stout square-edge spine for striking the ferro rod easier and a more rubberized grip, and another Kansbol in green, a Mora Craftline Trade, another Companion, a couple of their carving and hook knives, etc.

I can't say I'm a big knife fancier as far as collectables (other than Case) or decorated blades and fancy handles or overly large knives, but I do love utilitarian tools, and these knives fit the bill and more.

Here's a good vid on how to take the basic Mora Companion and make it even better for camping/bushcraft:

I have a lot of Opinels, too, the French folding knives with a long history; mostly because I remember them from being a kid in Europe. I'd see French campers sharpen sticks and cut their bread, cheese, and salami with them on picnics. They'd wipe 'em off with a kerchief, fold 'em back up and stick 'em in their pockets.

Last edited:

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
EDC at this time is a spyderco folder, at camp I have a bench made puukko I don’t need crazy big I keep a axe on the rig

Taneo22

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Alabama, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Raven
Member #

For my EDC I carry a Bench made Ruckus II automatic, a Doug Marcaida Karambit as well as a Van Hoy snap lock CRKT.

Attachments

Reactions: DaleRF

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE

View attachment 196023
Cool that you got one. As I said, I also have a Morakniv for years and from my experience this is good quality at a reasonable price. I also keep it mostly in the rig as a utility knive.

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
I have an esee for about any occasion. Started out with a class at expo east in 2017 with Patrick Rollins and just fell in love with the brand. First purchase was a PR4 in thanks to Patrick for his lessons and introduction into the world of Esee. That snowballed into an obsession, haha. I carry a Zancudo or Izulla II in an Armatus Sheath for EDC, camping is a Gibson Axe with the PR4 or Esee4.
Recently started helping a friend on his farm process chickens and the Esee AGK (Ashley Game Knife) has worked so well that everyone that helps has purchased one. Can't speak highly enough of the company or their products.

Reactions: Shakes355