What is your preferred shelter? (Rooftop Tent vs Ground Tent vs Etc...)

• HTML tutorial

What is your preferred shelter?

• Total voters

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
We’ve had both. The Jettent 25x by Oztent is by far the very best ground tent we have owned. We used it for four years. Four years of being frustrated at not being able to pitch it at so many different campsites. Two years ago we purchased a top shelf canvas RTT. It is every bit the tent that the Oz is except one very important thing. This past trip we camped at 8 different sites in 14 days as we toured southern Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. Of the 8 sights, only 2 would have been suitable for a ground tent. No longer are we concerned about being able to pitch a ground tent. No longer must we take the time to set up, stake out, then set up cots, lay out bedding, etc etc. RTTs don’t work well for everyone and they aren’t meant for everyone. Like so many things for many people, they are a passing fad. For us, like penny loafers and button down Oxford shirts, our RTT is already a classic.
That made me laugh, nice writing!

BHarriger

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cedar Park, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Harriger
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
I have been primarily a ground tent person for years. One-man when I'm by myself, 4-man when the grandsons are with me.) I did do a stint with a truck bed tent for a few years. (That was my favorite, by far.) Driving a 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk these days and am about to add an awning for shade from the hot Texas sun. (Especially on the beach.) RTT is not in play because I haul a kayak up there. I could sleep inside, but its tight. I'm interested in trying out a hammock, and find myself wondering if anyone has ever tried hanging it from the ends of the supports on a 180 or 270 degree awning?

My favorite setup from years gone by... (This is from the 2008 Oktoberfisch gathering in Junction, TX)
TruckBedTent.jpg

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I'm interested in trying out a hammock, and find myself wondering if anyone has ever tried hanging it from the ends of the supports on a 180 or 270 degree awning?
Hammock sleeping is an art form - there are books written on how to do it "correctly" - something I'd like to try at some point. Very cool way to go; I really like the ones with a built in "rain fly" that will keep the hammock and area around it dry.

Hanging a hammock off of a vehicle awning is not going to work in my experience. Vehicle awnings are not the most robust things as they are build with weight savings in mind. I have an OVS 270 awning and they are known to be one of the more robust brands, I would never think about hanging a hammock on it unless I weighed 5 lbs; destruction of the awning would be a certainty.

TCorona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Corona
Member #

It all depends on the trip planned and those that are joining me on the trip...
On solo trips I use a ground tent, and when the circumstances are not favorable for a ground tent (weather and campsite conditions) I use the truck camper shell for shelter.
When my wife and family members are on the trip I use a camping trailer...
Our 2021 trip to Colorado we took the travel trailer to just outside of Salida, Co., setup a basecamp on NF public lands and explored old mining towns and forest service roads all over Central Colorado

Attachments

BHarriger

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cedar Park, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Harriger
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
Hammock sleeping is an art form - there are books written on how to do it "correctly" - something I'd like to try at some point. Very cool way to go; I really like the ones with a built in "rain fly" that will keep the hammock and area around it dry.

Hanging a hammock off of a vehicle awning is not going to work in my experience. Vehicle awnings are not the most robust things as they are build with weight savings in mind. I have an OVS 270 awning and they are known to be one of the more robust brands, I would never think about hanging a hammock on it unless I weighed 5 lbs; destruction of the awning would be a certainty.
I have been thinking about this since your reply... My intent is to use awnings that have vertical supports at their edges. Like the Raptor 4K. Wondering if that changes you opinion?

Reactions: RedDogMaster

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have been thinking about this since your reply... My intent is to use awnings that have vertical supports at their edges. Like the Raptor 4K. Wondering if that changes you opinion?
I'm afraid not. The Wraptor awning that you link to is of similar construction to the OVS 270 awning that I own and used as a baseline in my head to think about hanging a hammock on. But my words are just an opinion, you should contact the manufacturer and get their advice. I think hanging that much weight off the edge of the awning is going to prematurely wear the hinge and the awning cloth material. Are the poles that swing down to the ground designed for ~20 lbs of weight or ~220 lbs? What about all of the lateral force that will ultimately make its way to the awning cloth and the strap connectors? Granted you could insert a pole of sorts between the lateral supports to help take the weight but IMO hanging a hammock on an awning is a bad idea.

I looked at the Wraptor 4K link that you provided (OB store) and this video. I don't see any "vertical supports at their edges" - but even if an awning had these (or you engineered some) the rest of the awning is not designed for that kind of load.

Reactions: BHarriger

BHarriger

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cedar Park, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Harriger
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
I'm afraid not. The Wraptor awning that you link to is of similar construction to the OVS 270 awning that I own and used as a baseline in my head to think about hanging a hammock on. But my words are just an opinion, you should contact the manufacturer and get their advice. I think hanging that much weight off the edge of the awning is going to prematurely wear the hinge and the awning cloth material. Are the poles that swing down to the ground designed for ~20 lbs of weight or ~220 lbs? What about all of the lateral force that will ultimately make its way to the awning cloth and the strap connectors? Granted you could insert a pole of sorts between the lateral supports to help take the weight but IMO hanging a hammock on an awning is a bad idea.

I looked at the Wraptor 4K link that you provided (OB store) and this video. I don't see any "vertical supports at their edges" - but even if an awning had these (or you engineered some) the rest of the awning is not designed for that kind of load.
Fair enough... thanks for the thoughtful response. I'll be letting this idea go. :-)

B

BHarriger

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cedar Park, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Harriger
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
Fair enough... thanks for the thoughtful response. I'll be letting this idea go. :-)
No crushing going on here… I have plenty of other ideas to take the place of this one until I decide to come back around to it.
Don't let me crush your ideas, get yourself an awning and assess. Just not something I would try with mine ;)

Reactions: Ubiety

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Hey, guise. Been watching this thread because I also use my Hennessy Hammock - "The Coolest Tent In The World" on occasion in addition to my RTT. Can't decide which is more comfortable? Both have advantages and drawbacks. Anyway, I have seen many solutions to mounting hammock on truck. Just looked online and see even more than when I was looking several years ago. I have seen some homemade stuff also that looked neat. Here is one among many I just saw.
This item Hammaka 41531202-KP Blue Parachute Hammock Hitch Stand with 2 Cradle Chairs Green Parach

Reactions: Ubiety

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
If you want a hammock and not have to rely on trees, we saw these at couple of recent shows, seemed really well built, made in USA (Bend, OR) not the cheapest, but have a 300lb weight limit. Adventure Hammock Systems might work well to sleep under a 270 awning, or if one was creative and installed a reciever on the side of a rig (maybe as part of some rock sliders) you could hang out under a standard awning / screen room. I found it intreguing, however I will stick with the RTT to save myself the embarasment of ending up on someones funniest home videos as I attempt to insert or extract my carcass from the cacoon like habitat of a hammock.