What is your favorite time of the year to overland?

• HTML tutorial

What is your favorite time of year to overland?

• spring

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • summer

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • autumn

Votes: 29 74.4%
  • winter

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi,

What is your favorite season for your overlanding trips? And why?

Of course, all seasons have their advantages and disadvantages and special characteristics.

I really like winter travel, for example. By that I mean winter in the northern hemisphere. The silence, fairy-tale winter landscapes with lots of snow, frozen waterfalls, warming campfires, etc.

What do you like best? I am curious.

Bjoern

Winterlandschaft.jpg

Sonnenuntergang.JPG

Spuren_im_Schnee.JPG

Last edited:

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Summer. I can get high in the mountains after the snow melts. I love the views from the top of the ridges and high lakes.

I don't do cold weather very well anymore with my old bad back. I do spring and fall camping with the truck and camper.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I like spring to fall. Being in the mountains of Colorado, spring and fall can get down right cold, under 15 degs at night. It nice to see the high mountains flowers and wild life out and the streams running. Most of the places I go, I can’t get after the first couple of snow falls or until the snow melts.
I have a friend that wants to start doing some winter camping, but as of right now I am not prepared for winter camping. Maybe some day
For overlanding, it could be year around, summers up north and winters down in parts of NV, AZ and CA

Last edited:

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I like any time I can get out amd enjoy nature. Every season has its advantages as you said. Late fall is probaboy my favorite. It hasnt gotten too cold, snow hasnt blocked the routes yet. but there can still be a sheet of snow covering everything around. Not to mention the leaves have fallen and it clears up your view from the mountains.

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

"Overlanding" is about being mobile.
Its not like backpacking, for example,, where you deal with the hand you've been dealt.
Nobody is more than a 2 day drive from finding the weather they like.
There really is no "season". Its more about allowing yourself the time to get what you want, where you want in order to spend your time in the conditions of one's preference.
I like all seasons, myself and do not mind a night or two in a snow cave along Lake Superior.
And then 3 weeks later, I'm driving down along the gulf coast.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

"Overlanding" is about being mobile.
Its not like backpacking, for example,, where you deal with the hand you've been dealt.
Nobody is more than a 2 day drive from finding the weather they like.
There really is no "season". Its more about allowing yourself the time to get what you want, where you want in order to spend your time in the conditions of one's preference.
I like all seasons, myself and do not mind a night or two in a snow cave along Lake Superior.
And then 3 weeks later, I'm driving down along the gulf coast.
I agree with this logic. The reality for me is that I can only take the week or two off necessary for that two-day drive to a destination at most twice per year. As a result, I will typically drive two or even three days to get to that prime destination where the weather is in the zone I want.

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

On the ”wet” coast of Canada winters are dreary, wet and muddy. In my advancing years I much prefer a warmer, drier climate - shorts and t-shirts are far preferable to sweaty rain gear. The birds and animals have had it figured out forever. Migrate with the seasons and get the best of both (all) worlds. Life permitting of course .... ahhh, the joys of retirement :-)

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I love autumn, cool temps, the tourists are gone, the ground is dry and solid.
Spring is good too. But often the ground is still thawing and treading lightly can be an issue.
Winter is fabulous, I do it rarely, keeping warm is a challenge, a welcome challenge but an extra effort is required.
Summer is the worst. Fire season is raging, foriegn tourists abound, bugs are at their peak, summer is when I refine my camper from lessons learned in the spring.

Then theres this....
who wants to camp at 40C...
Summer is the worst time for overlanding.

IMG_0858.jpeg

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
Overall, I prefer late Spring. Not as crowded as the summer. T-shirt weather in the snow. Deserts are bearable. Waterfalls are at peak flow.

Generally, winter is my least favorite due to possibility of rain and the limited daylight hours.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
In California its the deserts in the winter, the mountains in the summer, and everywhere else in between, in between those seasons.
That's what I miss most about California. Being able to comfortably camp year round by varying your altitude lol.

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

Ball Ground, Pickens County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
On the ”wet” coast of Canada winters are dreary, wet and muddy. In my advancing years I much prefer a warmer, drier climate - shorts and t-shirts are far preferable to sweaty rain gear. The birds and animals have had it figured out forever. Migrate with the seasons and get the best of both (all) worlds. Life permitting of course .... ahhh, the joys of retirement :-)
Amen! Retirement is so nice.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Autumn. Best overall time of all. Crisp air, apple season, pumpkin season, leaves change color and look like fire, nice to be around the girl

Thanksgiving, football, beef stew season

Not too hot and sticky.. .I could go on

Reactions: El-Dracho