What is your favorite overland/camp stove?

• HTML tutorial

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

DSC_8676.jpg
Stove and oven ;)

Jokes aside, in my trailer I have a built-in dometic and in the car I use a Campingaz propane stove (branded Gas ONE GS-1000 in the US). If you're going to overland internationally I'd recommend a dual fuel stove as propane connectors are different in different countries and the smaller canisters aren't always available.

Reactions: OverLamb24

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I usually cook most of our meals on my bbq grill and i have a single burner for my 1lb propane and its been enough for us

Alaska Overlander

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Anchorage, AK, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Pester
Member #

So many great options out there. Think that it all depends on cooking style and size constraints. We love our camp chef even though it is larger than other options we like the heat range

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
So many great options out there. Think that it all depends on cooking style and size constraints. We love our camp chef even though it is larger than other options we like the heat range
Yeah, absolutely. That is one part that makes overlanding so interesting, all the different approaches, ideas and ways.... a wealth of diversity!

Reactions: Road

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

White gas for sure. Not anything MSR, they use way to much plastic which melts, cracks, fails.
I swear buy tne Coleman Peak I. Fabulous, durable whire gas Backpacker stove. Mine is 40 years old.

Altho as a senior, no longer backpacking, anything propane off a 20# bottle is looking good. But I only need one burner.

Last edited:

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
I've used a bunch of different cooking options. I had the Jetboil Genesis basecamp system that runs off propane, I also use the 5lb tank. The regulator failed, and found it was a common problem, it leaks propane near the burner and could be a bad time. Luckily it was purchased at rei, and sent it back. I used an Ogrill which is awesome, but hard to get clean clean, in bear country. I have a 2dr Jeep, as I do like the camp chef 2 burner rig had one for 5 yrs when I had a pickup. So with room constraints I've been using the Oris skottle as of late. I like the set up because it uses a simple 10,000 btu burner that if it fails down the road I can get one at Walmart for $15. It also comes with a stand for a disposable propane bottle. The detachable skottle is cool, it then is a high standing single burner and a 150lb weight capacity, so a big heavy Dutch oven is easy. I'll put some good use to it this summer, but I think it's a winner for me.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Propane can be tempermental , in my experience, depending on time of year and elevation. White gas has always been my go-to but I like options too. I have one each of the dual fuel Coleman 413 two burner as well as a three burner 426 stoves. I also have the propane adapter so it is very versatile with white gas, unleaded gas or propane. Propane seems to be the most economical and fairly easy and reliable for most summer family style camp cooking.

I love wood and charcoal cooking with a grill and/or dutch ovens, lots of heavy metal but for family camp cooking the truck hauls it all just fine. I've got the back packing set ups too and (Mrs. Santa) even brought me a Kelly Kettle with all the accessories for Christmas this year. That is a fun new toy for food and water prep but even the larger Base Camp version is not realistically large enough for more than two people.

I mostly use the Camp Chef Explorer two burner when family camping because of the large griddle for largest meals: pancakes, bacon, potatoes, etc. I also use a Turkey Fryer single burner with the large stainless stock pot for heating up large amounts of water (5 gal). For general camp use/coffee/cleaning/etc). My pot has the spigot so that is even more convenient... Happy wife/happy life...

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
So pure propane gas should not cause any problems even at moderate frost, because the boiling point of propane gas is much lower than that of butane gas. Well, we must not forget that the gas in the bottle is of course under pressure. And of course the performance gets lower with lower temperatures. I have had very good experiences with the various gas mixtures that are available in the small camping gas cartridges. Even in significant frost or altitudes around 4,000m or 13,000ft absout no problems with, for example, the so-called 3 seasons gas, a mixture of different gases made. If that is no longer enough, I take for the colder days, the so called winter gas cartridges, which also have a kind of fabric inside that ensures a better volatilization of the gas. Attention: from my experience you have with these gases a significantly higher consumption at warm temperatures.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

So pure propane gas should not cause any problems even at moderate frost, because the boiling point of propane gas is much lower than that of butane gas. Well, we must not forget that the gas in the bottle is of course under pressure. And of course the performance gets lower with lower temperatures. I have had very good experiences with the various gas mixtures that are available in the small camping gas cartridges. Even in significant frost or altitudes around 4,000m or 13,000ft absout no problems with, for example, the so-called 3 seasons gas, a mixture of different gases made. If that is no longer enough, I take for the colder days, the so called winter gas cartridges, which also have a kind of fabric inside that ensures a better volatilization of the gas. Attention: from my experience you have with these gases a significantly higher consumption at warm temperatures.

Never heard of 3 season or winter gas cylinders, is that an EU thing?

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

In order of smaller vehicle (motorcycle) to midsize (canoe) to largest (full size PU) and excluding cooking over a fire. Firebox G2 with Trangia gas attachment, Coleman Sportster and/or MSR Whisperlight, and lastly Coleman Dual Fuel Powerhouse. I have a collection of stoves and other apparatus (as I bet a lot of you do) but these are the most common that I take along.

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Never heard of 3 season or winter gas cylinders, is that an EU thing?
No, I think not. Bought something like that also in the US a couple fo years ago. You can get it from different brands with different names. The so called "3 season gas" is just a mixture of different gas types, to make it better working at lower temperatures. The winter version has a mesh inside the gas catridges as described.

Example of a 80/20 mixture of isobutane and propane - this one is called "all season": MSR IsoPro Fuel Canister - 3.9 oz. / 110g | REI Co-op

The well known company Primus has some good information regarding their different gas types on their (US) website: Primus Gas

Last edited: