How long do you stay in one place when boondocking?

• HTML tutorial

How long do you stay in one place while boondocking?

• 1 night

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • 2-3 nights

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 1 week or longer

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
ok...i changed this to a different line of questioning and added a poll to make it easier.
the reason for this question is because i am wondering what the majority of folk do on here. the wife and i travel a good bit and when we "boondock", it is to spend the night and then get back to being mobile. when people ask about a good place to boondock in a particular area, i'll give my answer based on what worked well for us to spend the night and then leave. my boondocking site might not be very well suited for people wanting to stay multiple days. i always just assumed that most people on an "overlanding" site would be more mobile and moving around a lot and not staying in one spot very long. i might be wrong, so out of curiosity, im wondering how long most members stay in one spot when boondocking...

Last edited:

Rgmaguire

Rank II

Off-Road Ranger I

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Maguire
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WSEN384
Service Branch
US Navy
Boondocking has always confused me. We used to call our boots in the Navy "boondockers", What does boondocking have to do with boots?
That's funny. I noticed your image shows boots with laces. When I was in, our boondocks were the slip-on kind. Good times...

• Wow
Reactions: grubworm

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It's camping in an unofficial spot, where you wouldn't normally camp. Generally a spot where you're "bending the rules" a bit.

Pull off next to road, empty grass field, desert, etc. Not Walmart, so much.

Similar to overlanding, but not off road based. And usually not limited to small sizes.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Boondocking has always confused me. We used to call our boots in the Navy "boondockers", What does boondocking have to do with boots?
well...the navy in general always confused me...
my understanding is that the army coined the phrase "boondocks" to mean jungle or a rough wooded terrain and so boots designed to be worn in that were called "boondockers". i was on subs and we wore tennis shoes to keep the noise down, so i never wore them that much, but i was issued "boondockers" in bootcamp and they absolutely sucked. looked and felt like something frankenstein's monster wore...

1727054610678.png

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i get what it is, for the most part, was just wondering what it means in the mind of the average person on here as far as duration of stay. when people ask if a particular area has boondocking, are they meaning to spend one night and move on or are they wanting to stay in that spot for several days or longer. like i said earlier, that does make a difference. i'd offer my backyard or driveway to a traveler to boondock overnight and save the cost of a campground or motel but that doesnt mean i want them there for a week or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: danwyandt

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

In the context of OB, my definition is an “unofficial” free camping spot, as in not an established campground/campsite, where you are self-contained. Power would be off-grid, as in solar or a generator. Water would be transported in or filtered from a natural source. It can be on public lands, private land or commercial property (ex. Cracker Barrel parking lot). While camping is free, there may be restrictions on how long you can stay in one location.
Boondocking can be one night or for an extended time. Full timers may boondock in one location for several weeks if rules of the property permit.
The majority of people reading this will boondock for recreational reasons (overlanding or other vacation activities). However, I think the definition of boondocking could more generally include anyone living under these self reliant conditions. An example would be living in a travel trailer on undeveloped private property - no power, water or sewage hookup.

indergroun

Rank 0

Contributor II

Algeria
First Name
roumaissa
Last Name
hamidi
I usually only camp in places that are remote, hard to access, and offer stunning views. As for how long I stay, it really depends on the location and the conditions, but I typically aim for a few days to fully enjoy the solitude and scenery

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
When I was in, our boondocks were the slip-on kind. Good times...
yeah, theyve lowered the bar to the point to where grown men dont even have to know how to tie a shoe lace to get in...
sad times, actually...

Last edited:

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Well for me that is pretty much all the time, in most of British Columbia outside of Provincial/Federal parks camp where you want in the back country. As to duration, it depends generally I move every day unless the fishing is good or there is something specific I want to do, checkout old mines.ghost towns etc. But rarely more than 2 days.

Rgmaguire

Rank II

Off-Road Ranger I

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Maguire
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WSEN384
Service Branch
US Navy
When I was in, our boondocks were the slip-on kind. Good times...
yeah, theyve lowered the bar to the point to where grown men dont even have to know how to tie a shoe lace to get in...
sad times, actually...
Not so. Laces take too much time in emergencies, and I served in the eighties, so they came later.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Not so. Laces take too much time in emergencies, and I served in the eighties, so they came later.
yeah, i was in during the 80s as well. they have lowered the bar a lot, even while i was in. the body fat index was raised to a higher percentage and even our yearly PT exercise was lowered to adjust more for out of shape sailors. i dont even think there is a minimum pull up/push up requirement now...
i know people in the military now and it is a totally different freak show than it was when i was in. not to go off on a tangent, but since this thread has moved into discussing navy footwear, i might as well go with it...

Reactions: rgallant

Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
So what is the difference between "Boondocking" and "Dispersed Camping"?
You'll never get agreement from a ton of folks on definitions like this, everyone has their own interpretation. Mine is: boondocking is for longer stays, maybe up to the 14day limits. Also because of longer stays, tends to be associated with large RVs, VanLife folks, people living in their rigs. Dispersed Camping IS what a lot of boondockers are doing, but this term is used when the connotation is for overnight camping, weekend campers, overlanders, people just camping for recreation. If you're doing dispersed camping for long periods, living in your rig kinda, then you generally say boondocking instead of dispersed camping.
That's just my take on it, but there's no general agreement on ANY of these words really.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
So what is the difference between "Boondocking" and "Dispersed Camping"?
You'll never get agreement from a ton of folks on definitions like this, everyone has their own interpretation. Mine is: boondocking is for longer stays, maybe up to the 14day limits. Also because of longer stays, tends to be associated with large RVs, VanLife folks, people living in their rigs. Dispersed Camping IS what a lot of boondockers are doing, but this term is used when the connotation is for overnight camping, weekend campers, overlanders, people just camping for recreation. If you're doing dispersed camping for long periods, living in your rig kinda, then you generally say boondocking instead of dispersed camping.
That's just my take on it, but there's no general agreement on ANY of these words really.
i dont know a specific difference between those two terms, either...but i do like the way @Dave in AZ has explained it.
"boondocking" is just like campground camping in the one sense that some folk will boondock or go to a campground only to be there long enough to sleep, shit, shower, and shave and then be going off exploring while others will also boondock or campground camp where they actually stay there and just hang out for whatever reason. i know people who spend big bucks on a nice 5-wheeler and golf cart and they go to a campground for the weekend to cook, watch tv outside and ride around in the golf cart. so with that in mind, some campgrounds will have more appeal to folk who are actually staying there the entire time while a "lessor" campground will be perfectly fine for the folk that are just sleeping and leaving. same for "boondocking". i'd be just fine boondocking off a dirt road out in the desert or at a rest area since im only there for a few hours and then moving on.
despite what its called, it really boils down to how long you are staying as to what you would consider an ideal spot and THAT is what i was trying to get the feel for by asking that.
if someone asked me if i know of any boondocking in west texas, how do i know if they are just looking for a quick place to sleep and leave OR are they wanting a place for free to hang out and hike, fish, or whatever for a few days? knowing that would determine what answer i give. would be nice if there was a word or phrase that distinquishes that

Last edited:
Reactions: rgallant

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Without getting tangled in definitions, I'll share our experience camping in places which are not defined campsites (i.e., "wild camping").

1) On routes where there are no campsites or any other form of accommodation - e.g.:

- Simpson Desert crossing , which was a 5 day crossing, and we camped each night in spot which looked attractive or was a bit sheltered.
- TransLabrador Highway - no formal campsites so we camped at attractive places, usually on a river crossing.

2) Where wild camping is a better alternative to a campsite packed with permanent caravans and RVs, e.g.:

- Late in the season in Western Ontario heading west, where there were no campsites open - camped on Crown Land on a lake about half an hour off the highway.

We usually do this for no more than one night; when we stay somewhere for more than a night it's because there are reasons to stay longer - game reserve, city, remote work, etc., and we want to have more facilities than when wild camping.

Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
And in case it isn't clear to everyone, the word "boondock" means rough, remote, isolated... camping at a Campground with facilities, water ir electric is pretty much by definition, NOT BOONDOCKING ;)

K12

Rank VII

Pathfinder I

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I boondock 90% of the year. Usually stay in one place for a week or two at a time. This is going by the non-designated camping area definition. Usually on some type of gov land in the middle of nowhere. Im fulltime and try to only hit campsites if neccessary for one reason or another. Alos really depend on the oart of the country I'm in. Out east there is not much in the way of free gov land areas to stay.

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I boondock 90% of the year. Im fulltime
so what do you look for in a site? if you stay at one place for a week or two, are you out and about most time or are you at camp doing things?