Launch Member

Traveler I

Fleetwood, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
QMED
Member #

I have an ‘03 Tacoma and I’m at a place in my build where I’m starting to add all the electronics in my rig. Lights,compressor, dual battery’s etc etc. I’m looking into a HO alternator and wondering what system people are running? I looked into a few companies and read up on Tacomaworld and I’m looking for an oem housing and not too high in amperage at idle.

S

SubeeBen

I use to have a mean green alternator in my 97 Jeep TJ & it was great. Might want to check them out.

Reactions: Qmed Joe

Qmed Joe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fleetwood, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
QMED
Member #

I think that’s the one I’m going with. I’ve heard complaints with DC power. Every time someone mentions Mean Green it’s always good reviews! Thanks for your post[emoji1360]

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I looked into a few companies and read up on Tacomaworld and I’m looking for an oem housing and not too high in amperage at idle.
Mean green seems to always pop up on top. Don't concern yourself with "too much at idle" Amperage is RPM based and drawn. Think of it like your thirsty. If you have a small glass and it isn't enough, your still thirsty. If you have a gallon, you take what you need, you don't "need" to drink the whole gallon just because it's there.

When looking at numbers, you want as much available at idle as possible. Lets say all your off road lights on, headlights on bright, big stereo amp, wipers on high and a low battery. Your "draw" will probably be as high as 70 amps. If your sitting at idle, the average alternator has less than half its max output available. If the max is 100 amps, you probably have 40 amps available. The extra is drawn from the battery.

To help this, the performance alternator companies will generally run a smaller pulley to raise rpm and have more available at low speed. I tend to use alternators in the 150 amp range with my vehicles. With the smaller pulley, I run about 60(ish) at idle and get max at about 2500 rpm. If I need 150 amps, I have to raise RPM to get max power.

Look at the specs on what your buying. Power at idle and max at what RPM. Then look at what your vehicle idles at and cruises at and compare it to their numbers.

Scott

Reactions: Boort

Qmed Joe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fleetwood, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
QMED
Member #

Thanks Scott, I did end up with a Mean Green. I "think" I ended up with a 140 amp alternator. There was a bit of a mix up at first. I went on to their website and pulled up the alternator for my make/model and ordered it, Somehow a starter got pulled off the shelves and was ready to ship. I messaged them to tell them I was on a ship headed to Brazil and could not speak on the phone. I saw on a thread that MG offered two amperage options, 140 & 220. I requested the 140 amperage one. In my notes I told them what I was powering and requesting the 140 but if they thought the 220 was more suitable for my application then I was going to go with that one. We went back and forth on the mistake of the starter and they went above and beyond to make it right! Great customer service! I actually just got internet back up and have to email them to find what I actually have :wink:

Reactions: smritte

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Good deal
The 140 would be good and the 220 would be great if the low RPM power is there. I use to build custom alternators for people and getting low RPM power was tough on some designs. The one I have on my jeep doesn't start working until about 100 RPM over my idle. Its not annoying enough for me to do anything about it. The rest of the power comes in quick enough.
Im sure they told you to upgrade your output wire from the new alternator. I normally run 6 gauge. 8 Is enough if your in the 150 amp range. I just like over kill on my wiring.

Scott

Reactions: Qmed Joe

Qmed Joe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fleetwood, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
QMED
Member #

Good deal
The 140 would be good and the 220 would be great if the low RPM power is there. I use to build custom alternators for people and getting low RPM power was tough on some designs. The one I have on my jeep doesn't start working until about 100 RPM over my idle. Its not annoying enough for me to do anything about it. The rest of the power comes in quick enough.
Im sure they told you to upgrade your output wire from the new alternator. I normally run 6 gauge. 8 Is enough if your in the 150 amp range. I just like over kill on my wiring.

Scott
Yes, the big three is definitely going to be part of the install [emoji1360]