What else do you use your GMRS for? How handy are they?

• HTML tutorial

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
So I am looking at getting a GMRS radio. But at this point it seems a bit like a novelty to me. Don't really have plans to go to any rallies, just too busy raising a 10year old and pursuing other things.

We do go out on adventures with friends and family, it would be nice to have a more capable coms system than our cheapy cobra FRS walkie talkies. We are often in the mountains on these adventures and I am sure the reach of the GMRS radios are much better.

Why else do you feel like a GMRS network (mobile base station and a few handhelds) are a good investment?

It is not a huge investment. Looking at a Radioddity DB-20G mobile and a pair of Baofeng UV-5x for like $170 for all of it. Not too bad.

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
id invest for the exact reasons you stated. If you have them you will also use them a lot more. I just took the family on two different trips and we used them a lot we didnt always have cell coverage and were in two or more vehicles. So they came in real handy my kid went on a hike and took a handheld and kept checking in so it worked out great. so good in fact she asked for one to be put in her jeep so she dint have to relay on a handheld when we go on trips and she takes her vehicle.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I use them around the house, on trips, for group runs (I have a bunch of handout radios), ect ect. We have a local repeater that covers our whole county and parts of neighboring counties. You won't see too much extra range vs a FRS radio when using handhelds. The biggest advantage is the ability to use external antennas and repeater access if you have one close by. The extra power is just a bonus. You license would also cover your entire family, even inlaws.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'll also add I've been a HAM a little longer than a GMRS user and found that at least around here I use GMRS a lot more often than I do HAM anymore.

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

I had a big REI rebate and used it to buy a pair of GXT1000VP4 handhelds. It can get pretty dicey backing into a treed camping spot, so I plan on using them to help us communicate as my wife guides me into a camping spot. Also, I use it to stay in touch with my while I hike a trail.

T4R13

Rank IV

Traveler III

Lewis County, West Virginia, United States
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Schriner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8VAF
We use midland gxt1000g at work 16 hrs a day rain snow summer heat. Use the things as hammers to close 12” hose came locks. If you want the toughest hand helds out there that’s what you need. There a little under 100 for a 2 pack I believe. You can literally run one over with a d8 and pick up the mangled thing with dangling wires and circuit boards and it will still work

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Meh. I've never been impressed with Midland handhelds. There are cheaper more capable options out there, that are probably just as or more tough. Midland doesn't even have a GMRS handheld that can be used on repeaters.

Reactions: Coreymol