Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Realized I need a dry duffle to make packing easier for me. Current duffle looks cool, but sucks performance wise. Try putting size 14 boots in a 30L bag...

The bag I had planned on buying is the Patagonia Black Hole in 55L size, but I am not digging Patagonia's political ramblings and wont support it. So I am looking elsewhere.

Looking a these two. Reviews seem to be stronger for the Pro-Vis.

I've run across a few others like Marmot, Timbuk2, Filson and others. Anyone ahve anything they are really happy with?

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I don't have a duffle but I can speak on back packs. I have a gecko brands paddler 30l I've used in some rough weather on my boat to carry sensitive stuff while tournament fishing.
I've had it on deck in heavy rain and even been overboard a few times and nothing inside got wet it just floated. I use it for extra dry clothing, emergency supply, holds phones,key fob,etc.

Academy sports carry gecko brands and I'm sure they have something bigger than my 30l
But I can fit 2 frogg toggs fishing bibs 2 columbia pfg water proof jackets and extra dry clothes for both my wife and myself with room to spare.
16109851243964172591309007454228.jpg

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have used a North face duffel for years not water proof but all vinyl with a cordura floor. It hasn’t leaked ant water yet but it could. Zippers and seams are not sealed. It’s been all over the world and looks great with a bit of washing.

Reactions: USStrongman

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Big enough for 4-5 day pack of size 14 shoes and XXXL clothing. Meaning a 6 day pack for most guys. 60-90L size. For a roof top I found these in 31L, 49L and 89L and it is still on my short list:

Reactions: Road and MMc

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I've been using the smaller Pattigucci blackhole duffel for a few years now, Its my general use trip bag and so far its been "Me" proof with a bunch work travel, 4x4 trips, more work trips, more 4x4 and mountain biking trips and generally getting my moneys worth out of it. Not sure what other options are really out there for bags like these, I'm sure there is prob some more hunting oriented stuff with similar performance and durability...

Reactions: USStrongman

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

Wolfman makes good dry bags and not just end-opening either. I have a side opener (opening on the long axis) that I got for motorcycle camping. Very sturdy, very waterproof.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I don't have a duffle but I can speak on back packs. I have a gecko brands paddler 30l I've used in some rough weather on my boat to carry sensitive stuff while tournament fishing.
I've had it on deck in heavy rain and even been overboard a few times and nothing inside got wet it just floated. I use it for extra dry clothing, emergency supply, holds phones,key fob,etc.

Academy sports carry gecko brands and I'm sure they have something bigger than my 30l
But I can fit 2 frogg toggs fishing bibs 2 columbia pfg water proof jackets and extra dry clothes for both my wife and myself with room to spare.
View attachment 184303
I like the side access. I have many sized dry bags and the problem with the larger ones is that inevitably what you need is near the bottom. Side access would be helpful. Clear ones are also helpful when my old brain is trying to remember what is where!

Reactions: Road

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I wound up going slightly overkill with an 89L, but wearing XXXL clothes and size 14 shoes, it will work for both winter and summer trips. Saw the Wolfman and liked the side access. This is from the BDR folks in Seattle and Touratech USA MC gear:

Reactions: Viking1204

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Yeti Panga 75. Amazing bag. The quality is top notch like all of Yeti's gear. I have other dry bags, but this is our favorite.

Pixelsaurus

Rank V

Advocate III

Maryland, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Butcher
Member #

Waterproof is term that manufacturers have made kind of meaningless. The Patagonia Black Hole series in NOT waterproof, despite the words they use on their site. They are good in the rain for a while but if you lash it to a roof rack or flood it in the bottom of a canoe your going to be disappointed.

2 types of true waterproof bags are roll top or T-Zip. In this thread the Outdoor Research dry bags are an example of roll tops and these are the cheapest way to go true waterproof. Yeti makes the Panga series that is welded with T-Zips and are truly waterproof (as long as you close the zipper fully). Yeti also makes the Crossroads series that is water resistant but NOT waterproof.

Sorry for geeking out on this but I’m in the bag industry (not waterproof bags) and customers get confused by misused terms.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I have a set of the old style Filson roll top bags. They came in a variety of sizes and if you are patient and follow Sierra Trading Post or Filson directly when they close things out you can get some really amazing deals.

Reactions: Road and FishinCrzy

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm trying to source 42" roofbags very similar to the provis design (but made for roofrack usage). For what size are you looking?
I wound up going slightly overkill with an 89L, but wearing XXXL clothes and size 14 shoes, it will work for both winter and summer trips. Saw the Wolfman and liked the side access. This is from the BDR folks in Seattle and Touratech USA MC gear:

For rooftop I've been using the FRO Monsoon Bag with a folded roll top. They call it the Front Runner Typhoon Bag now, though I haven't checked what changes, if any, they've made.

It's 90L, has an internal base tray, adapts to how much you have packed, and accepts both FRO Wolf Packs or Cub Packs, which is great to help keep stuff organized.

In my experience having it up top through all kinds of heat, cold, wind, and impending tornado weather, it has been 100% waterproof and dust-proof. I've regularly taken it down and thrown it under the trailer when camped, into dirt, mud, and dry thorny desert.

It is one rugged son of a bitch. I thought I saw somewhere they are offering a 60L too, though can't find it.

FRO-monsoon-bag.jpg

FRO-monsoon-bag-02.jpg