OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Our 45 lb. blue heeler slept in our tent with us. Now that we have a RTT she sleeps up there as well.

We have only done 1 trip with the RTT so far and I just lifted her in and out, not ideal but it works. I have 2 ladders for our tent, might convert 1 into one of those ramps.

Reactions: MarioT'sCJResto

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Hi. Sorry if I'm barging in uninvited...
I'm in the same boat (or tent, haha).

My GSD Hercules sleeps with me as well. He's my service dog, so really don't want to leave him at home, nor locked in the vehicle. He's camped with me (ground tent). I'm really liking the idea of an RTT (no worries about snakes or scorpions in the tent) but no way can I hoist my 98# and still growing dog into a roof tent!
I have a friend that has one of those tents that secures in the pick up truck bed. But she has to totally unload the bed to pitch the tent, leaving her gear on the ground outside, then reversing to break camp. No way I'm that industrious. Obviously, that's how the roof tent evolved!
If anyone can figure out how to get my pup into a roof tent, let me know! I haven't seen any RTTs that have a 'window' looking out the direction of the windshield ... I' would consider putting a door there and rigging up some sort of roll down "traction field" that exits the window-door that goes over the windshield and hood of the vehicle. From there, I'm thinking one of those treaded plank devices for elderly dogs might be able to somehow be rigged up.

Any engineers or inventors want to weigh in on that rough idea? I would be using the ladder from the regular entrance.
Would bears be able to figure out that route?
Just pondering...
Most RTTs have a window or a door facing forward - at least, most of the clamshell ones do, and I'm fairly certain a lot of the hard-shell iKamper-style ones do too but I'd have to check. If you check my earlier post in this thread you can see how I do it with my two GSDs. Works like a charm and then the only barrier for you is the hop up onto the hood (mine use my bumper as a step).

Reactions: RN J and danbrown
D

danbrown

We have a 50 pound Treeing Walker Coonhound that sleeps up in the RTT with us. Getting her up and down the ladder is a bit too f a challenge. I have her put her front legs on my shoulders, like she is giving me a hug, and then I can put I hand/arm under her butt for support. The free hand I use on the ladder. Once she’s up there you have to give her a few minutes since she has the urge to do zoomies, running laps inside the tent!

I want to try something I read on Facebook with her. Roll out a piece of carpeting over the hood, up the windshield, and across the roof. That way she can jump up on to the hood, walk up to the tent, and enter through the side window.

Attachments

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I’m going to attempt the idea behind the Doggo RTT ramp. Spending $200 on a piece of fabric just seems ridiculous to me. I found a canvas tarp for $40ish that should work. Securing it to the ladder might be tricky. I’ll post about it if I decide to do it …if that’s something anyone wants to consider.

Reactions: Sparksalot
R

RN J

So we have both a RTT and a teardrop. The RTT we move back and fourth between the truck and the teardrop. It's my wife, son (7), our 90lb mastiff shepard and me. During warm camping he sleeps in the annex. Cold with teardrop he sleeps in the teardrop at the foot of the bed, but he usually weasels his way between us in the middle of the night. Now when we use the RTT I made a ramp using a 16ft telescoping ladder and entry runner from home depot. (the cheap stuff that you cut to size for about $1 ft) I zip tied it to the ladder. It's convenient and packs up small. I just extend the ladder and it pulls the runner taut so he can climb up and down. The first time going up and down was a chore, but he just runs up and down now.
Brilliant!

R

RN J

We have a 50 pound Treeing Walker Coonhound that sleeps up in the RTT with us. Getting her up and down the ladder is a bit too f a challenge. I have her put her front legs on my shoulders, like she is giving me a hug, and then I can put I hand/arm under her butt for support. The free hand I use on the ladder. Once she’s up there you have to give her a few minutes since she has the urge to do zoomies, running laps inside the tent!

I want to try something I read on Facebook with her. Roll out a piece of carpeting over the hood, up the windshield, and across the roof. That way she can jump up on to the hood, walk up to the tent, and enter through the side window.
That’s very similar to what I had envisioned.

Reactions: danbrown
D

danbrown

Hi. Sorry if I'm barging in uninvited...
I'm in the same boat (or tent, haha).
I have a Roofnest Condor XL and it has a side window over the cab facing towards the windshield. An iKamper is also setup the same way. Our plan is to get a piece of carpeting that we can roll out from the roof, down the windshield, and over the hood so Luna (our hound) can enter and exit through the tent side window.
My GSD Hercules sleeps with me as well. He's my service dog, so really don't want to leave him at home, nor locked in the vehicle. He's camped with me (ground tent). I'm really liking the idea of an RTT (no worries about snakes or scorpions in the tent) but no way can I hoist my 98# and still growing dog into a roof tent!
I have a friend that has one of those tents that secures in the pick up truck bed. But she has to totally unload the bed to pitch the tent, leaving her gear on the ground outside, then reversing to break camp. No way I'm that industrious. Obviously, that's how the roof tent evolved!
If anyone can figure out how to get my pup into a roof tent, let me know! I haven't seen any RTTs that have a 'window' looking out the direction of the windshield ... I' would consider putting a door there and rigging up some sort of roll down "traction field" that exits the window-door that goes over the windshield and hood of the vehicle. From there, I'm thinking one of those treaded plank devices for elderly dogs might be able to somehow be rigged up.

Any engineers or inventors want to weigh in on that rough idea? I would be using the ladder from the regular entrance.
Would bears be able to figure out that route?
Just pondering...
Most RTTs have a window or a door facing forward - at least, most of the clamshell ones do, and I'm fairly certain a lot of the hard-shell iKamper-style ones do too but I'd have to check. If you check my earlier post in this thread you can see how I do it with my two GSDs. Works like a charm and then the only barrier for you is the hop up onto the hood (mine use my bumper as a step).

Attachments

R

RN J

Can you post a picture of it, by chance?
It is sitting about 3 inches taller since these pictures.
Thank you for posting pictures of your trailer! I remember seeing them but can’t remember if I commented on it or not.

Of all the DIY Builds I’ve seen posted, this is probably the only one I can both build (mostly) by myself and feel comfortable using. I have no welding or electrical experience but used to do a lot of woodworking years ago (and still have some of my shop equipment).
Again, thanks for posting pics.

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I tried the tarp method today. The pups are apprehensive but they did it. Might be easier to just lift them up. But I know that’s not physically practical for some. Mine are 75lbs each. I’ve already had one back surgery so I should probably stick with the tarp. Lol.

I purchased a 6x8 canvas tarp from Amazon. Wrapped it and secured it with a few bungees. Used my Plano box and two camp stools for a better angle.

Attachments

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

Sparreholm, Södermanland, Sweden
First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Det här är en fråga som har kommit upp några gånger, och inte konstigt - äventyr med hundar är bättre än äventyr utan!

För oss bor hundarna hos oss i vårt Taktält. De tar sig in genom att klättra upp på huven och hoppa upp på taket. De första säsongerna av RTT-camping använde vi en gummifilt för greppet, men det blev ett krångel att sätta in och packa bort så nu använder vi stick-on dragkuddar (som vad som skulle användas på stegar eller gångvägar i våta miljöer) och det tjänar samma syfte. Hundar tar sig ganska lätt in och ut.

[/CITAT]
Bra lösning för hundar.
.WBR
.Bengt N

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Salt

Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Flecke
Member #

There is also an Overland Bound article about overlanding with dogs and a lot of comments with tips here: OB Approved - Overlanding/Camping with a dog

I'm not a huge fan of reading long threads, so I copied the article and those comments that had good tips into wordprocessing software and changed to a more reader-friendly layout with boldface and bullet points. Much easier to use this as a reference. I uploaded here. Enjoy.

Attachments

Reactions: OcoeeG

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

In a ground tent, it’s self explanatory where my dog sleeps, but now that I’m going to get a tent cot and eventually an RTT getting the dog in there with me brings some logistical problem

I have a fold up kennel that would pack easy, and my dog is crate trained even though I usually let her sleep outside of the crate. A couple blankets inside and one over the top would be great unless it was super cold, and then the dog would stay home with the family

what do you all do with your dogs?
With my pack; all over 90lbs I gave up on the RTT for the canvas ground tents. I might switch things up a bit with Oztent's RV5 this year which will tuck nicely between the Awning Walls of the 270 degree awning. During the winter I break out the Whiteduck Hot tents with the Stove here on the east coast. Since I travel with my pups I'm not worried about time, 10 minutes to 30 minutes to setup is nothing when you factor in the time spent on the road and the over all safety for my pups.

Trout Bumming

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Wind River Range, Wyoming, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Quigley
Member #

Service Branch
Game Warden
Good forum info and always love dog pics! Our mal sleeps on the passenger seat up front as we bounce around the west from fishing spot to fishing spot. Keep all our water up front passenger floor board and cover that with a thin cut and fit paneling that goes over the water. Then a firm dog bed on top. Perfect. With the X we sleep inside. Got rid of the RTT. Mark

Trout Bumming

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Wind River Range, Wyoming, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Quigley
Member #

Service Branch
Game Warden
There is also an Overland Bound article about overlanding with dogs and a lot of comments with tips here: OB Approved - Overlanding/Camping with a dog

I'm not a huge fan of reading long threads, so I copied the article and those comments that had good tips into wordprocessing software and changed to a more reader-friendly layout with boldface and bullet points. Much easier to use this as a reference. I uploaded here. Enjoy.
Salt thanks for your attached doc! Some really good info here. If ok with you Id like to put on my website page if I can figure a way to do that. Thanks again for taking the time to put this all together. Nice work. Man that's a great looking dog also!
Mark at Trout Bumming.com

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

I built a little camper box in a 5x8 utility trailer that we can all fit in. It holds a standard Queen sized mattress with room for an indoor heater or air conditioner on one side and shelves for clothes on the other.
kind of similar to you, i got a 5x8 enclosed trailer. i have a full size tri-fold mattress and recently got a folding bed frame. my shiba sleeps in the trailer with me and it works out well. while on the trail, i have him clipped in with a harness and tether (connected to the car seat anchor instead of plugged in the seat belt buckle). dude loves to go back and forth on the rear seat, window to window checking out the trail and he loves it.

Attachments

Reactions: danbrown

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
My wife and I use a Gazelle 3-person tent. Sam our 13 1/2 y/o cattle dog mix sleeps between us on a Mexican blanket with horse blanket and sometimes a quilt on top of him. He's always preferred the heat to the cold. Not a big fan of mosquitos either :tearsofjoy:DSC01542.JPGIMG_1370.jpeg