What’s the largest group you’ve been with?

• HTML tutorial

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
On our "big trips":

1) South America - we went alone - two of us in one vehicle.
2) Africa - we went alone - two of us in one vehicle. On a couple of occasions we did some travelling with people whom we met and camped with over a few days - Savuti, Botswana and Serengeti, Tanzania.
3) Australia - we went alone - two of us in one vehicle. Did some travellling with people whom we met on the Gibb River Road (a couple of days), and a week with family who flew into Darwin and rented a 4x4 to join us exploring Kakadu NP.

So, maximum number of vehicles - two, for a total of about 10 days in 31 months' travelling.

Reactions: MOAK

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I use to do a back road event when I was active in a local Jeep group. Had a couple of convoys of about 50 rigs, one of 75 rigs, and the most was 103 rigs which was split into two convoys.
On one of those events we literally surrounded an entire town in Jeeps, we got a lot of strange looks, one resident loved it, and the kids couldn't stop waving with big smiles on their faces.
Of course these were all 1 day event's.

You can't see all the Jeeps but this is from the event with 103 Jeeps... longest Jeep wave ever.
DoD - Jonathan David Greenroy2.jpg
DoD - Katie Beesley Warner2.jpg
DoD.jpg
DoD1.jpg

Last edited:

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
The biggest group of Jeeps we've seen was crossing the dunes on Rocket Lake Track in Murray Sunset NP - seven, if we counted correctly. Seemed like a lot at the time.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

I use to do a back road event when I was active in a local Jeep group. Had a couple of convoys of about 50 rigs, one of 75 rigs, and the most was 103 rigs which was split into two convoys.
On one of those events we literally surrounded an entire town in Jeeps, we got a lot of strange looks, one resident loved it, and the kids couldn't stop waving with big smiles on their faces.
Of course these were all 1 day event's.

You can't see all the Jeeps but this is from the event with 103 Jeeps... longest Jeep wave ever.
View attachment 177161
View attachment 177162
View attachment 177163
View attachment 177164
Dam that a lot of rigs.....

Every trip I’ve been on has been solo with one exception. That trip there was 3 of us.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

We used to do day outings with 10-12 or more vehicles. While fun it was many times slow and required trail fixes on less than maintained/prepared vehicles. For the most part around 5 vehicles is about right for us. Multi day trips seem to go smoother with about 3 vehicles.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Opposite end, when I catch up to 2 vehicles, I turn at the next corner, best thing about Overland Rallies are the trail rides, I stay in camp and party with those enjoying clean air after the trail ride departs.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
400 vehicles, 275 trailers, 2 bulldozers, 15 helicopters, 4 jets... and I don’t know how many people on foot... 200 mile March into the most deadly valley in the world.

Reactions: Sparksalot