freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Arrives today. Wanted the mini antenna but got the original sized one for $270 shipped.

Let the comms begin!

Jim
Hello JIm, I’m just curious do you need connectivity for work purposes when out on the trail? For me part of the joy of being out is I am not connected and I can avoid my personal problem of being a political junkie. :grinning:
Rich

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Welcome aboard! It has been a game changer for us in so many ways. Really came through a couple of weeks back as we negotiated tow truck rescue and lodging after breaking down on Kavanaugh Ridge. Dozens of phone calls and web lookups while on the mountain. Allowed us to negotiate what would have been a $3500 rescue from a dedicated off-road hauler into less than $1000 after including food and lodging while we waited for AAA to find an intrepid driver willing to take the job.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Welcome aboard! It has been a game changer for us in so many ways. Really came through a couple of weeks back as we negotiated tow truck rescue and lodging after breaking down on Kavanaugh Ridge. Dozens of phone calls and web lookups while on the mountain. Allowed us to negotiate what would have been a $3500 rescue from a dedicated off-road hauler into less than $1000 after including food and lodging while we waited for AAA to find an intrepid driver willing to take the job.
What are the monthly fees for that?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
All I can say about Starlink is that it really frikin awesome!

In the middle of nowhere NM it saved us by getting up to date fire information. Thanks @Kelly for bringing it on our trips.

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
What are the monthly fees for that?
Unsure of current rates for others - I am paying $150/mo., but can turn it off at the end of any billing cycle, then restart when needed again (partial month charge). We typically keep it on except the winter holidays, as we hunker down then with family, etc. We've been with them for several years now and the service has only gotten better over time. We used to have to point the dish to the north, but haven't had to do that for over a year. And service above the 60th parallel was intermittent, but the number of satellites has grown to where that is no longer an issue. Speeds range from 20 down/4 up in really congested areas (think Ouray, CO with lots of RVs and small ranchettes), to greater than 200 down/40 up in remote areas (e.g. Eastern Sierras). Anything above 20 down/4 up is good for anything we want to do (video calls, streaming shows, surfing the web, etc.). Latency is usually tolerable for us, but gamers might have issues. Jitter/packet loss goes up as the overhead sky gets blocked, so we pay attention when picking sites.

Reactions: jeepers29

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Unsure of current rates for others - I am paying $150/mo., but can turn it off at the end of any billing cycle, then restart when needed again (partial month charge). We typically keep it on except the winter holidays, as we hunker down then with family, etc. We've been with them for several years now and the service has only gotten better over time. We used to have to point the dish to the north, but haven't had to do that for over a year. And service above the 60th parallel was intermittent, but the number of satellites has grown to where that is no longer an issue. Speeds range from 20 down/4 up in really congested areas (think Ouray, CO with lots of RVs and small ranchettes), to greater than 200 down/40 up in remote areas (e.g. Eastern Sierras). Anything above 20 down/4 up is good for anything we want to do (video calls, streaming shows, surfing the web, etc.). Latency is usually tolerable for us, but gamers might have issues. Jitter/packet loss goes up as the overhead sky gets blocked, so we pay attention when picking sites.
Thank you