Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

GVWR on my '04 Tahoe is 6800. Day-to-day I'm probably at about 5700-5800. Loaded up for trips is most likely less than 6000 if it's just me

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Always under the GVWR, never over. Period. Nothing wrong with running 100% but understand 100% leaves no room for error or stupidity on the trail. 110%.... just means things will wear out prematurely or break.

Depends on what you run and where you run it too. If you have a PowerWagon with a real low GVWR you can do crazy things fully loaded at 100% of the GVWR. But if you are following that PowerWagon in a fully loaded W2500, not a PowerWagon you can carry substantially more..... if you are also at 100% GVWR, expect problems trying to follow if that PowerWagon is pushing his limits articulating off road.

Generally off roaders built to articulate have far lower GVWR than a similar vehicle built for maximum payload.

Last edited:
Reactions: KWDavis and Ramman

Liesejunh

Rank I

Enthusiast I

California
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Cha
Member #

I’m always under no matter what. I have a kid and my wife all the time so I take safety seriously at all times.

Reactions: Ramman

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
I’m always under no matter what. I have a kid and my wife all the time so I take safety seriously at all times.
I’m going to be having my wife and 2 kids. None of us are large people but that’s still 410-450 if the dog comes so I’m trying to be as smart and economics as possible.

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
Always under the GVWR, never over. Period. Nothing wrong with running 100% but understand 100% leaves no room for error or stupidity on the trail. 110%.... just means things will wear out prematurely or break.

Depends on what you run and where you run it too. If you have a PowerWagon with a real low GVWR you can do crazy things fully loaded at 100% of the GVWR. But if you are following that PowerWagon in a fully loaded W2500, not a PowerWagon you can carry substantially more..... if you are also at 100% GVWR, expect problems trying to follow if that PowerWagon is pushing his limits articulating off road.

Generally off roaders built to articulate have far lower GVWR than a similar vehicle built for maximum payload.

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT

I am running a 1500. My gvwr is 7100. My truck curb weight is about 5900. I am estimating fully loaded with kids and wife and gear going to be about 6800-7000. Not looking for any extreme trails Mai only over landing even if 85%is pavement while the kids are still really small. But utilize as much free and off the best trails or camp spots as possible. I won’t be going rock crawling but fire roads and easy trails yes. Would really like to go to bald eagle state park in PA for some camping. When the boys are now with us it will be a little more rough trails

Reactions: DevilDodge

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I've not weighed and added it all up but I really dont believe I approach GVWR in general. Me (200) and the dog (<30) Sometimes the lady (she's rather petite at just over 100). I have a Leer cap (180 -200) on the back of my Sierra 1500, so I dont user a rooftop - I simply sleep in the bed. Doing that I dont need a tent at all. With the step bumpers I dont really need a ladder. Air mattress, couple sleeping bags. Couple coolers (maybe 100 pounds together?) I dont run a fridge. Some hiking and camping gear at maybe another 100. I'll have to weigh it all out sometime but my gut feeling is I have breathing room, probably weighing in at 6500 or 6600 fully laden.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I am running a 1500. My gvwr is 7100. My truck curb weight is about 5900. I am estimating fully loaded with kids and wife and gear going to be about 6800-7000. Not looking for any extreme trails Mai only over landing even if 85%is pavement while the kids are still really small. But utilize as much free and off the best trails or camp spots as possible. I won’t be going rock crawling but fire roads and easy trails yes. Would really like to go to bald eagle state park in PA for some camping. When the boys are now with us it will be a little more rough trails
Another RAM in Bald Eagle. This is always good.
Be sure to check out our threads for Bald Eagle and PA in general.

My truck usually weighs right at 8000lbs heading to camp.

But...my truck works alot and spends many days loaded near Gross of 10k

20190530_230111.jpg

If you do not have the CAT scale app...it is worth getting.

My axle weight ratings are 5500 front and 6000 rear. So even almost loaded...still some capacity left.

Your RAM 1500 has 3900 front and 4100 rear

RAM is a great platform for overlanding...and they are even excited about it too

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
I've not weighed and added it all up but I really dont believe I approach GVWR in general. Me (200) and the dog (<30) Sometimes the lady (she's rather petite at just over 100). I have a Leer cap (180 -200) on the back of my Sierra 1500, so I dont user a rooftop - I simply sleep in the bed. Doing that I dont need a tent at all. With the step bumpers I dont really need a ladder. Air mattress, couple sleeping bags. Couple coolers (maybe 100 pounds together?) I dont run a fridge. Some hiking and camping gear at maybe another 100. I'll have to weigh it all out sometime but my gut feeling is I have breathing room, probably weighing in at 6500 or 6600 fully laden.
Do you have your truck lifted with larger tires? I couldn’t believe the weight the 35s and a brush guard added

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT

View attachment 177104

My axle weight ratings are 5500 front and 6000 rear. So even almost loaded...still some capacity left.

RAM is a great platform for overlanding...and they are even excited about it too

What size ram do you have? And how is bald eagle im excited but it will be a while until I can get there.

As for a cat scale I work for a trucking company and we have a certified cat scale on site so I can weigh free every mod I do lol

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L 4X4
20201031_151201_HDR.jpg

Bald eagle is a great place to get off pavement and do some dispersed camping.

Hoping to get there again in the coming weekends.

Check out the links above for some more info.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

View attachment 177104

this ^^^ we should all scale our rigs fully loaded at least once.

I do mine at the dump for free.

DSCN1502.jpeg

Reactions: Ramman

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L 4X4
View attachment 177544

Bald eagle is a great place to get off pavement and do some dispersed camping.

Hoping to get there again in the coming weekends.

Check out the links above for some more info.
Sounds good. This is my rig right now

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Do you have your truck lifted with larger tires? I couldn’t believe the weight the 35s and a brush guard added
I have a 2014 GMC Sierra. My truck's front end is leveled and I dont plan on going any larger than 33's. I've 31 and a half on now but I plan on switching to my snow tires when it finally snows here in New England. As for a brush guard, I am of twi minds. I like the look, but then, in a relatively small road collision they can wreak havoc on the grille, lights and hood, so if I were to make a change there at all, it might be a good bumper. At the moment, with the front end leveled and that awful "chin strap" removed from under the front bumper, I do OK