Water tank to fit in LPG tank storage spot?

• HTML tutorial

WYWander

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WSDA676
Hello all,

Google tells me there are some people DIY'ing this but do you know of any already-made water storage tanks that will fit in and be held in place by a single or dual LPG tank carrier? I'd like one that's square, to maximize the volume. Doesn't need to be high pressure...

Thanks!

2024-07-17_9-28-36.jpg

Enthusiast II

Aylmer, ON, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Krauter
Service Branch
Canadian Army
I love this idea.

I know you are looking for a square set up but now I wonder could it be possible to refit an out of date LPG Tank into a fresh water tank? That is 4Gal/17L give or take of onboard water and if it could be pressurized it would make for a very convenient water source assuming you could clean it out.

WYWander

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WSDA676
I love this idea.

I know you are looking for a square set up but now I wonder could it be possible to refit an out of date LPG Tank into a fresh water tank? That is 4Gal/17L give or take of onboard water and if it could be pressurized it would make for a very convenient water source assuming you could clean it out.
That seems to be the avenue the DIY'ers go and it doesn't seem to be an issue. You have to spray an inert gas into the tank to cut the valve off, clean it out, and put a useful valve or spigot on it. I'm sure I could do that but I'd like to see if there are other options.

WYWander

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WSDA676

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I think you're gonna have a hard time with that one. You might be better of looking for jerry can storage solutions, and mounting jerries there, and using a single propane mount.

Enthusiast II

Aylmer, ON, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Krauter
Service Branch
Canadian Army
That seems to be the avenue the DIY'ers go and it doesn't seem to be an issue. You have to spray an inert gas into the tank to cut the valve off, clean it out, and put a useful valve or spigot on it. I'm sure I could do that but I'd like to see if there are other options.
i have an old one that i may do this with but without the cutting. I will need to see if i can unscrew the valve first and then figure out a pick up tube to standard garden hose connection.

If it works maybe go forward and create something for the market? I know there are 100's of onboard/portable water solutions but being able to potentially pressurize something in excess of 100psi may be a worthwhile look.