pierceg

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Missoula, MT
Member #

I use a bag with built in filter.
On/off gravity fed.
Filters out silt, cysts, protozoa and bacteria down to 0.2 microns in size, including giardia, salmonella, cryptosporidia and others.

Reactions: druff6991

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I just pack what I need, but if I had to DIY it...

Vigorously boil for at least 2 min

And/or

At least 1 micron filter for crypto/giardia
Put a drop or two of bleach for every cup of water and let it sit for at least 5 min

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I modified a Sawyer Mini to be an inline filter hooked between " clean" and "dirty" water bladders, fairly fast and light. If it's for a large group I made a gravity feed filter out of two stacked 5gal buckets and three Berkey ceramic filters mounted between, I can get over two gals/hr with that setup.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro that I keep in the rig. I have a Sawyer Mini that I run inline from my platypus bladder when I am backpacking. And I always keep some water tablets in my day pack, just in case.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

At home, I have a Royal Berkey 3.25 gallon gravity filtration system for daily use. In an emergency, I can use it with our cistern. For travel out of a basecamp, I'd use the Berkey, or get a smaller one.

In the truck I have a Survivor brand filter [LINK] with collapsible bags and my old backpacking put filter

El Gigante Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Jake
Last Name
H
Member #

For years I never cared, then I ended up in a hospital in Chosica Peru and suddenly I'm nervous. Camping as a youth in the rockies, the rule was find the fastest running stream you could and go with it. I won't do that anymore.

I have a filter straw, aquatabs and setups for particle filtration and boiling. I really need to add more filter straws (like the one Steve linked to above) to my setup.

I carry 12 gallons of water minimum on any trip as well.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

We always carry a couple different filters with us. Since we're backpackers we always have a Sawyer Filter, and Aquamira in our packs and vehicles. In addition to those we carry a Katadin gravity filter bag, and a Katadin Hiker Pro pump filter.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I also use a Sawyer mini which works perfectly for refilling our camelbacks and other smaller water containers.

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Boil when in camp/filter if I need water right now/treat with Polar Pur Iodine if I am on the move and can wait 20 to 30 min to chug down that elixir of life.
But I mostly take enough water with me when out on a camping trip 5 gal last me a week. and also always have a flat of bottled water for that just in case the 5 gal gets a leak.

I am looking to setup a 12 volt pump and a 3 stage filter with UV as I am doing some extended trips and this just seems like this would be more convenient for me.
I have a 1000 watt full sine wave inverter so the UV is doable not like it would take all that long anyways to top up the 5 gal jug..

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
When I'm in arid area, I don't assume I will be able to find a source of water, so I carry lots of water with me. When I'm in areas with lots of water sources, I assume that I will be able to filter water as needed. I have the AEV bumper, that holds 5Gal of water. I use the LifeStaw family, to keep the tank full of potable water.

LifestrawFamily-01-239x500.jpg

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
When I travel through Baja, Mexico this is my back up for water purification. I've never needed to use it, but it’s good to have backup ability to make fresh water from salt water. Probably a little overkill, but I was a boy scout, and live by "always prepared"...

Katadyn Survivor 35
10676104.jpg

Username Not Found

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oceanside, CA
Member #

I bought one of these:

back in 1999 when I started to do solo back packing trips. I've been using it ever since, and it still works great. Filters bacteria, cysts, and viruses. I've stuck this in some straight pond scum an poured out crystal clear pure clean water.
This is the same model that my uncles, who taught me how to backpack and rock climb, had when I was a kid, and theirs still work too.
Now-a-days, I only use this for emergancy since I primarily do car camping and I have the ability to transport around 10 gal of water with me at all times.

Reactions: Road

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I've been really liking the gravity feed systems that have been out recently. They are small, lightweight and I don't have to sit there and pump them. I can fill my dirty water bag, hook up the filter and let it run while I do other things. Especially when I am backpacking. I don't want to have to pump water at the end of a heavy mile day.

Reactions: Jeff Graham