Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I saw this on a jeep in town. Thought it a great idea, just like the metal $$$’s tanks, but a ton cheaper with filler and spigot points. Wonder how much water it holds. I’m building one this week. Will post more when I do.

Maybe not, just saw the price of pipe pieces and extensions, lmao.
I did the math one time on a 4 or 5in ABS pipe on the roof of my XJ 6 feet long. IIRC it was around 4 or 5 gallons. Keep in mind that black ABS pipe isn't really supposed to be pressurized, so be easy with the pressure.
Great call! Thank you for that. I wonder if it’s even potable? I thought the white was for potable and black was for gray/drainage water, do you recall? I also wonder how long the black will last in the sun before it gets to brittle. Probably need some type of UV protective coating on there, maybe. But that’s a good amount of water to have 4-5 gallons. I like it!

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
I saw this on a jeep in town. Thought it a great idea, just like the metal $$$’s tanks, but a ton cheaper with filler and spigot points. Wonder how much water it holds. I’m building one this week. Will post more when I do.

Just a guess, but that is probably a homemade solar shower and not for drinking water. They are quite common in Costa Rica and other places known for surfing, and as you stated, much cheaper than buying one off the shelf. I'm not implying you didn't know this but just wanted to add a bit of clarification just in case someone was thinking of making one for drinking water. I don't think the black pipe is rated for potable water and the water will be warm to hot depending on the amount of sun exposure.

Reactions: Downs and KAIONE

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Just a guess, but that is probably a homemade solar shower and not for drinking water. They are quite common in Costa Rica and other places known for surfing, and as you stated, much cheaper than buying one off the shelf. I'm not implying you didn't know this but just wanted to add a bit of clarification just in case someone was thinking of making one for drinking water. I don't think the black pipe is rated for potable water and the water will be warm to hot depending on the amount of sun exposure.
I agree, I think you’re spot on. The water was probably used for washing and the black pipe so it would be warm/hot after a day in the sun, and you could always filter/boil if needed for consumption. Great call!

Reactions: John and Mandi

INVICTUS

Rank III

Advocate I

Perrysville, Ohio, United States
First Name
Nolan
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

I found that carrying a 5 gallon jerry can for water and the 5 gallon Life filter one. Along with some bottled . Can last you. And if you get stuck you can filter more if you have a source. Recently i mounted a 5 gallon aluminum tank to my roof rack with soout and quick disconnect for a hose to shower, sparingly. Yes it all weighs a bunch so try not to fill up until the plunge off grid to save on fuel.

Reactions: KAIONE

RDevita

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
DeVita
Member #

I'm trying to think through basic needs for about a week of off-grid travel.

Would love feedback from those that do this much more than I do.

How do you ensure that you have enough water?

I always carry iodine tablets and, recently, added some life straws to the kit, but have not thought through storage solutions.

Do you rely upon planning for water stops? Either from nature when you purify / sterilize; or from some small community stops?

Or, do you carry A LOT of water with you?

Or, do you plan a combination?

Thank you for any insight!
I like Michael’s recommendation of 2 gallons per person per day which should be plenty. I bring 6 gallon “Aqua-tainers” cube containers from Reliance. Costs around $3.50 to fill one up from a filtered water vending machine found nearly everywhere

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Water filter inline with my dromedary bags hose.

I only overland near water.