Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Come explore Washington's great outdoors. The WABDR is a 575 mile route through scenic Washington. We start in Stevenson Wa. near the Bridge of the Gods and drive North through the lush green southern forests. Near Yakima we cross over the Cascades and venture into he high deserts and warn sunny open spaces of Eastern Wa.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Hope you all have a great time! We will be road-trippin to visit my wife's family at that time.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Last year we did this same trip, however I was not able to finish it. This year we will.
Below are a list of rules that were created by @armyRN and he did such a wonderful job of stating things that I asked if I could use them for our trip and he agreed.
Please note the goal is to have fun, these are not rigid rule to beat anyone down with, but guidelines to help us all have a safe and fun trip. If you have an issue with anything, please speak up and we can talk about it.

Rules, requirements, & recommendations… I like to put them out up front so there’s no questions about what’s expected of folks; what’s ok & what’s not ok, etc. People don’t like surprises at the last minute – and I don’t want anyone to have hurt feelings before we even get started on day one. Please read posts #1 - #5 (and post #9 - trail etiquette). I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you can’t go along with these, then please don’t sign-up.

Please check back-in on this thread if you registered for any updates, especially as we get closer to the departure date on 5 July 2021.

It would be nice if you do register, to post a little bit about yourself, your overlanding experiences, a description (and maybe even a picture) of your rig, and why you want to run the trail.

Vehicle Requirements & Expectations:

Vehicles should be in good working order, with 4WD or AWD and decent ground clearance. We will be driving thousands of miles total across multiple states over four to five weeks, and it is mostly off-pavement (figure rocks, mud, and some water crossings in places). That means cooling system is working well and not leaking, hoses are good, ignition is running strong, battery & wiring are well secured, fluids are relatively fresh, brakes are in good working condition, U-Joints are good, etc.; and any known issues have been fixed before the meet-up day. This should be for any Overlanding trip you're planning on participating with, not just this one.

Tires should have plenty of tread on them and be in a good safe condition - preferably not street tires but instead AT or MT tires. All vehicles must have a full matching size, mounted matching size spare tire with adequate tread on a matching sized rim (no temporary spares even if they are of a matching size). Plug kits are great (I've got one), but they only go so far, and are not a substitute for a full-size, matching spare tire and rim. So if you’re buying larger tires for your vehicle, you need five of them (four plus one for the matching-sized spare tire).

Vehicles must have strong tow-points or recovery points (like tow hooks or D-rings) front & rear (a 2" receiver also counts as a tow-point - and they do sell front mounted hitches 2" receivers for some vehicles - check out e-trailer as a starting point). Those bent wire-looking hoop things welded under some vehicles used to tie them down from the factory for transport are not tow-points or recovery points. Even the best set-up overland vehicle sometimes needs to give or receive a little tug to get over/through an obstacle - there's no shame in needing a tug sometimes. Using a trailer hitch tow ball as a tow-strap attachment point is dangerous - preferred (and simplest) is a D-ring attached to a 2" receiver bracket (not the one from Harbor Freight). I think most newer vehicles commonly used for overlanding nowadays have tow hooks up front and a 2” receiver in the rear either as standard equipment or as a factory option. If not, you may have to go aftermarket or custom.

Each vehicle must have a tow strap or recovery strap (not a chain) of some kind strong enough for the weight of their vehicle. Straps must have fabric loops at the ends, not metal hooks (metal hooks are dangerous).

Must have a jack capable of lifting your vehicle to change a tire (does not have to be a high-lift jack). It can be your factory jack. If you’ve lifted your vehicle and installed taller tires, check to see if the jack you have will still go tall enough to lift a tire.

Need to have a spare fan belt(s) for your engine. We can repair a busted radiator hose on the trail; There’s all sorts of crazy things we can do to get you off the trail, but we can't tape together a busted fan belt. Belts are cheap and don’t take up much space; pick one up at any parts store. Worst case scenario buy one at the dealership.

If there is something that frequently breaks on your vehicle, or is a hard-to-find item, bring a spare. If your vehicle requires a special kind of headlight bulb, bring a spare or two. If repairing your vehicle requires a specialty tool (I’m thinking like a large specific-sized socket for removing a front hub) consider purchasing one and having it with you with your tool kit.

Need to have a way to air-down and air-up tires (I just use the backside of my tire pressure gauge to deflate). If you're looking at an air compressor that just plugs into a cigarette lighter, it isn’t strong enough or adequate for trail use - it should either be hardwired into your vehicle, or use clips to the battery post. Ask us for recommendations if you're not sure. CO2 tanks are great (very fast & quiet) until you run out of CO2 (ask me how I know).

Reactions: AntWookie

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Need a GMRS radio (and a license to go with it). Ask me/us if you have questions about specific GMRS radio options.

Link: Why Do I Need a GMRS License & How Do I Get It? | Midland Radio (midlandusa.com)

Vehicle must be capable of traveling at least 150 miles using the gasoline you're carrying. Figure we'll be driving relatively slow and not on pavement; you will not be getting anywhere near your normal highway MPG. Plan accordingly - Jerry cans are your friend. When we stop for gas, everyone fills-up or tops-off (sometimes we might have to take an unexpected long detour, or a gas station in the middle of nowhere we thought would be open might be closed, etc.).

If you're planning on bringing a trailer, think small(er). WWII military-type trailer sized, or a fairly small teardrop-type or expedition trailers are your best bet (best if trailer track width is no wider and roof no taller than the vehicle towing it). Either way, trailers need to have a good, rugged suspension and high clearance underneath, and off-road-ish tires ("LT" series tires preferred at least) with good tread, AND... all trailers must have a matching spare tire. If your trailer is running the same size wheel & tire and bolt-pattern as your tow vehicle's full-size matching spare tire, that's fine. But if not, the trailer must have its own dedicated matching mounted spare wheel and tire.

What To Bring & Expectations:

Bring a sense of adventure, and an understanding that things won't always go as planned or as you would like. There is no way I can guarantee how far we will travel every day, or when we will arrive at a certain destination, where we will stop every night, or what’s ahead around the next bend.

Every vehicle should have their own copy of the area maps (either paper or GPS). That's part of the fun - following the map so you know where you're at, and keep us on track. I use GAIA as a platform for my GPS maps. I have it on my phone, and have a phone holder on my dash. There are other GPS platforms that work just as well of possibly even better - I don't know what's best. GAIA works for me.

Cold weather gear – You never know what will happen, the nights can get very cold as eleveations change.

Figure we'll be camping every evening, so pack accordingly (you're Overlanders - you should have this part down!). Now's the time to buy the new camping gear you've been wanting! Most days we should be going through or near a town that at least has a gas station or a place to buy some groceries, but have enough food for a couple days in your vehicle just-in-case.

A wrist watch might be a good idea (Timex even has an Expedition series of watches!). We will have a specific designated departure time every morning (figure between 0800 & 0900 +/- unless told otherwise the night before). The exact time will be put out the evening prior. That means vehicles are rolling out at that time in the morning. That means by (NLT) the designated time you've already got up, got dressed, ate breakfast, done your morning routine stuff, taken down and secured your camping gear, gone to the bathroom, loaded up your vehicle, and are ready to roll. We will not be standing around waiting to leave once "everyone is ready to go" or "after breakfast" - otherwise we'll be lucky to hit the road/trail after lunch that day – that is a plan for failure. Please be punctual.

Same goes for when we do a gas stop or decide to explore a little town, have lunch, explore, or whatever - there will be a departure time/wheels rolling time put-out, so everyone knows when to meet back to head-on out (& wheels rolling). Ideally when we get gas, you pay at the pump, pump your gas, and then move your vehicle so the next person can get gas. And then if you need to go inside to get something, do it then. Don't leave your vehicle at the gas pump while you go inside shopping.

When we stop for lunch, that’s lunchtime for everyone. We can’t stop for an hour late in the morning for an early lunch for someone who didn’t eat breakfast, then stop again at noon for another hour for lunch for the main group, and then again for an hour in the afternoon for a late lunch because someone wasn’t hungry earlier and didn’t eat. We will stop for lunch once a day.

Fire extinguisher, shovel, first aid kit – all vehicles should have these in some form. Wouldn't hurt to bring some bear spray (one can for each person in your party).

Bring whatever camping gear you need to keep you comfortable, warm-and-dry, and well-fed. Custom tailor it to your needs and what your vehicle can handle.

What Should I NOT Bring & Expectations:

No smoking marijuana. I don't care if it is legal in many states. Please don't bring it or buy it to smoke it (there are other options – tinctures, edibles, gummies, etc. – go for it).

No illicit drugs (I shouldn't have to say it... but I will... I guess I just did).

If you need to bring a separate cooler just for beer or other alcohol... maybe you should reevaluate your priorities. A little drinking around the campfire at night is totally cool; having to get drunk is not. Drinking and driving – (or passengers drinking while you’re driving) along with being illegal (even if off-road), is unsafe, and will not be tolerated. This is not a "party-hard and let it all hang-out" kind of trip.

No portable gas or diesel or propane generators. Period. No Exceptions! I don't care if your newest latest & greatest generator cost $4000 and is advertised as "whisper quiet" or is encased in insulation inside a trailer when running; we can still hear it. We don't want to hear it even a little bit, or even think we're hearing it. We are wanting to hear "nature" when camped for the evening, or the crackle of a campfire - not a small motor running. Leave them at home. Seriously. We don't care if you feel you need to run a generator so you can have AC running in your trailer or to power your microwave/toaster/coffee maker/blender/waffle iron/hair drier/popcorn popper/CPAP machine, or whatever - no gas/diesel/propane/or whatever fuel-it-burns generators on this trip. No exceptions. We're camping folks. Think wilderness... nature... outdoors... getting away from it all… don't fight it - embrace it!

Connecting a large inverter to your car battery and running your vehicle’s engine while we're camped to power the inverter is the same as having a 250-HP gas-powered generator. No-Go.

So also do not bring "noise producing devices" and make others have to listen to them. That includes music players that others must listen to, i.e., radios, CD/DVD players, movie projectors (I've seen it - that's why I'm saying it), etc. That's why God invented headphones if you really need or want to listen to it (I’ve got Pandora on my phone - I get it). We do not need to be entertained at camp. We don’t need a DJ spinning tunes at camp. I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys "getting away from it all" when overlanding - so why should we have to listen to that distracting stuff? Let’s be considerate of others. I'd rather be sitting around a campfire talking with folks vs. staring at a phone or laptop screen any day. Having said all that, I’m sure we'd be ok if you wanted to play the guitar while sitting around the fire.

Camp lights are nice at night so you don't walk into trees and such. But lets not turn night into day with excessively bright lights. Be considerate of others.

Fireworks. Let's not catch anyplace or anyone on fire. Do not bring them.

Let's talk about guns. I like guns (Patriot Life Member of the NRA here). However, if you bring one (or more) and I'm not saying I'm not, please keep them out-of-sight and safely secured in your vehicle or on your person. We will be going through multiple states that all seem to have different gun laws and such. Be discrete. Let’s not get arrested. And let’s not have any negligent discharges (you military folks know what I mean). There's safety in numbers - we'll be fine.

Reactions: AntWookie

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Miscellaneous:

Dogs. I like dogs. I like dogs better than I like some people. I have dogs at home (too bad they’re not overlanding dogs). If you bring one (or more!), you need to keep them under control (it would be extremely sad if one got loose and we couldn’t find it). I know bears poop in the woods, but they don’t poop around our campsite. We don’t want to step in dog poop. Be prepared to pick up after your dog right away.

Camp chairs. Go for comfort, not the cheapest butt slings that Walmart sells. We’ll be on the trail for weeks – you’ll be using your chair for a week – buy some nice comfortable ones. You can get nice folding ones for around $50/each.

If you're doing this trip with us solo and you have a medical condition (diabetes, seizures, asthma, cardiac history, carry an EPI pen, etc.) let me know about it before we hit the trail (I'm an RN). I don't need to know all the details. And have some sort of PRINTED OUT abbreviated medical chart/record with you with a basic history (medical and surgical), list of medications, and a point-of-contact to notify along with your main physician's contact info. And keep it in the glove box where we can find it. So if something happens to you out in the middle of nowhere and we need to get you help, we'll have something to go-by to tell the EMS or hospital. Doesn't do us any good if all the info is on your phone and you're passed-out and we know nothing. Or your EPI pen is buried in the bottom of one of your bags deep in your vehicle while you're having an anaphylactic reaction.

Even better and more specific: Put your information in an envelope, write your name and "in case of emergency" on the outside and then seal it up.

A few essentials elements of information should be in there:

1. Your first & last name

2. Your date of birth

3. Your home address

4. Emergency contact name & phone number

5. Copy of your medical insurance card

6. Past medical & surgical history (a simple list and years and type of any surgery)

7. Current medications and doses you take

8. Allergies to medications, foods, insects, etc.

9. Copy of your living will (if you have one, which you should)

10. Copy of your driver's license

Let's all hope the envelopes do not get opened, and we all return better off for having been together. But if needed, this will be essential to making sure you get the right care. We'll be there to help.

If you’re looking for an excuse to buy stuff (or upgrade what you’ve got), these are at best merely suggested items, might be nice to have, but in no way are they required or expected on this TAT trip:

Tire plug kit, MaxTrax (or equivalent – I have X-Bulls) traction mats, winch, HD bumpers, limited slips or lockers, LED lights, lift kit, taller tires, new rims, electric fridge, canopy/awning, Roof Top Tent (RTT), fancy trailer, etc.

I'd probably avoid or think twice about any overpriced items marketed at Overlanders ($300 folding camp chairs, $250 shovels, $135 flashlights, $400 axes, or anything with the term "Overlanding" or "Mil-Spec" or "Tactical" in its description). Before you drop a lot of dollars on an item, maybe ask us first.

A lot of folks read the Overlanding magazines, are on more than one Overlanding Forum, and see all the expensive vehicles and gear and might think "I've got to have all that to go overlanding". No you don't. I've listed what I consider the minimum vehicle requirements to do the TAT (or about any overlanding trip really; especially if not going solo). If you've got that and some half-way decent camping gear, you're good. You could outfit all your camping gear from WalMart and be ok.

Come join us. The object is to get out there and have an adventure; not be trying to work overtime to afford expensive stuff that you won't have time to use. We're not trying to keep up with the overlanding-Joneses.

I'll admit it is fun to buy new stuff for Overlanding. But only buy it if you can afford it, and you'll actually use it. Keep it simple. See what other folks are using and ask them would they do it/get that again. You might be surprised what they tell you. I've got stuff I bought on impulse at Overlanding Expos and have yet to use it, or used it just once.

For example, I've yet to figure out how a Tembo Tusk Skottle Grill (some folks love them) would make my overlanding trips or meals better than what I've got now (link below). I'd love to have an electric fridge (someday I will), but so far my Igloo ice-chest (not a Yeti) seems to keep stuff cold just fine. Figure I'm getting gas every day or so, so if I'm getting low on ice I'll just buy a bag at the gas station, drain out the water and top-off with new ice. MaxTrax are $300/pair; X-Bulls are $75/pair; both will get you unstruck, and I seriously doubt you'll need these on the trip. My Home Depot $30 shovel will move dirt just as well (or better) as some of those couple-hundred dollar shovels folks are trying to sell to Overlanders. Roof Top Tents run from $800 to a couple thousand dollars. Both will keep you dry in the rain and off the ground. So will a ground tent and a cot for much cheaper. Spaghettios and meatballs out of a can taste the same cooked in a titanium pot or... in any other pot you can heat them up in.

Remember, we are out to have fun, but we all want to come home safe and sound so we can tell the stories of our adventures. Lastly, think of it as a team, let’s work together.

Reactions: RJG and AntWookie

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Please do not be put off by the above rules, these are simply there to help us all enjoy the trip and have fun.

I hope many of you will join in and do this this year.

If there is an issue with the dates, please let me know and I can adjust them to allow the most people to attend.

Lets get out there people.

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

This is not only a great set of ”guidelines” for an overlanding experience but in many ways a valid ethos to live life. Be prepared, be self-reliant and above all, be considerate of others.
This route is on my bucket list but sadly I am on the wrong side of the Canadian border :-( I would love to join up with such like-minded individuals.
Have fun and be safe

Reactions: M Rose

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I keep working on my new truck getting it ready for this trip.
I ordered a new winch mount, roof basket, and window screens.
I have mounted the Hi-Lift jack and the traction boards on my new Super-Strut cross bars.
With the Hi-Lift and boards mounted on the left side, I installed the awning on right side. I have more then enough room for the new roof rack down the middle.

Attachments

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Very interested. Just gotta find out if the wife and the pup will be joining or not. In fact just submitted my leave request.
Little about me: Retired AF, moved back to the PNW/INW, in 2019 but haven't had a chance to really get out and explore. I am familiar with the BDR's as I used to adventure tour on 2 wheels, but health concerns have me feeling safer in a cage ;-).
My rig: 09 GX470, it's got a mild 2.5" lift with 34's Hybrid MT/AT's.
my Gear: i have a tire plug kit, full size spair (rotated through, so I know it's good) Viair compressor, 20Lb CO2 tank(may/may not bring), rear recovery point (still need to get a front one), Highlift (tire adapter as well), Shovel, Ax, Battery powered Chainsaw (I'll have batteries, and can charge them while driving on an inverter). Midland GMRS radio, Cell phone booster, Snatch strap, siphon, 10 gal extra fuel.
Experience: I grew up in the Portland/Sandy Oregon area and still hunt in eastern Oregon, so faimilar with the type of terrain we'll see (I think), done a lot of solo camping over my life, mostly off the back of a dual sport motorcycle, military self aid/buddy care with a very light bit of remote emergency medical training (think splinting and bandaging not surgery or IV's).

Attachments

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Very interested. Just gotta find out if the wife and the pup will be joining or not. In fact just submitted my leave request.
Little about me: Retired AF, moved back to the PNW/INW, in 2019 but haven't had a chance to really get out and explore. I am familiar with the BDR's as I used to adventure tour on 2 wheels, but health concerns have me feeling safer in a cage ;-).
My rig: 09 GX470, it's got a mild 2.5" lift with 34's Hybrid MT/AT's.
my Gear: i have a tire plug kit, full size spare (rotated through, so I know it's good) Viair compressor, 20Lb CO2 tank(may/may not bring), rear recovery point (still need to get a front one), Highlift (tire adapter as well), Shovel, Ax, Battery powered Chainsaw (I'll have batteries, and can charge them while driving on an inverter). Midland GMRS radio, Cell phone booster, Snatch strap, siphon, 10 gal extra fuel.
Experience: I grew up in the Portland/Sandy Oregon area and still hunt in eastern Oregon, so faimilar with the type of terrain we'll see (I think), done a lot of solo camping over my life, mostly off the back of a dual sport motorcycle, military self aid/buddy care with a very light bit of remote emergency medical training (think splinting and bandaging not surgery or IV's).
Wonderful, I would love to have you join us. Your rig sounds very nice and well suited for trips worse than this.
I am also Ex-Airforce and used to do the WABDR on 2 wheels. I had to sell my bike due to arthritis issues.
My wife and I grew up in Salem Oregon.
Encourage your wife to join us. My wife be be going as will our dog.
These are family outings, wives, girlfriends, other, kids, etc. are welcome to join.

Reactions: Ebbs

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
I'm in!
Wife won't be able to make it though, she has a trip in October to Greece and doesn't think she'll have the vacation time to do both.
Can't wait! Now to build me a sleeping platform in the back.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I'm in!
Wife won't be able to make it though, she has a trip in October to Greece and doesn't think she'll have the vacation time to do both.
Can't wait! Now to build me a sleeping platform in the back.
Awesome, glad to have you on board

Contributor I

Juneau, AK, USA
First Name
jeff
Last Name
coult
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC6TNI
Hello, I"m new here but not new to overlanding, I was doing it well before it was called overlanding. I'm currently running a Ford E250 4wd camper van that is fully equipped for off roading, including every item mentioned in the requirements above and more. My average trip is around two months, and I just returned from 6 weeks in Death valley, Mojave and the Nevada desert. Having just spent several months in the South west this year, I'm looking for my next adventure and this might fit the bill. I'm currently in maintenance mode, but should be back on the road soon and may be able to join up. Cheers.....................

Attachments

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Hello, I"m new here but not new to overlanding, I was doing it well before it was called overlanding. I'm currently running a Ford E250 4wd camper van that is fully equipped for off roading, including every item mentioned in the requirements above and more. My average trip is around two months, and I just returned from 6 weeks in Death valley, Mojave and the Nevada desert. Having just spent several months in the South west this year, I'm looking for my next adventure and this might fit the bill. I'm currently in maintenance mode, but should be back on the road soon and may be able to join up. Cheers.....................
Perfect! I look forward to having you join us. Your rig looks great, can’t wait to see it in person.

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
Sounds like a great trip! Had lots of fun on the one last year, made to all the way to Nighthawk!

A few lessons learned last year:
  • Trip starts the night before if you're not local/near Stevenson
  • Might hit snow on the first section, be prepared to pull some rigs back out
  • Fuel won't be a problem as long as you gas up every time you have the chance to do so
  • If your trailer is big enough to sleep inside it will be a challenge. Definitely would not have made it on section 1 last year due to snow, will also recommend taking the bypass heading north from Bethel Ridge if you're pulling a larger trailer.
  • Smaller trailers, think WW2 military style/size will be no problem
  • Met a couple of large rocks on a ledge road on section 4. JLU was able to get through, not sure if a full size pick up would have made it. Also, no place to turn around at that spot...
  • Every section has bypass options, no shame in taking it. Just make sure there's an agreed upon plan for meeting up again.
  • A piece of 4x4 can be used in place of a broken leaf spring!
  • Some of the driving days can be long...
  • GMRS channel 15 is a repeater channel that can be heard on Bethel Ridge
  • Make sure someone brings a chain saw! We had them & used them last year.
  • Not many dispersed camping options past the Methow valley. Plan on official camp sites beyond this point

Here's what the rocks looked like at 47°52'06.4"N 120°19'31.7"W

IMG_2141.JPG

torqd

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Portland, Oregon, USA
First Name
david
Last Name
f.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUS
A few lessons learned last year:
  • GMRS channel 15 is a repeater channel that can be heard on Bethel Ridge
This is not entirely accurate, and what you experiences was a result of the how radio manufacturers deviate in how they program their units.

GMRS Channel 15 is 462.550 MHz with no offset.
GMRS Channel 15 Repeater is 462.550 MHz +5.000 offset.

On the Baofeng radios the above channels are 07, and REPT15, respectively.

On the Midland radios (and Motorola?) the above channels are 15 and 15RP, respectively.

Each person just needs to know which channel to use for their radio to be able to talk on the correct frequencies.

Reactions: Ebbs and oldmopars

bit

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kirkland, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
L
Hi!
New here (and to Overlanding to be honest, have attended solo only few easy trails and forest roads).
About myself - 32 YO, moved year ago to PNW (Seattle east-side area), work as an engineer.

Rig - Stock 5 gen 4runner (tires are AT KO2s):
4runner.jpg
Regarding equipment requirements - the only missing points are:
1) Front recovery points (I've read though that factory tie-down hooks on 4runner are welded through the frame and are very strong especially if used together)
2) GMRS (I do have Baofeng radio though).

Overlanding experiences - zero.

I'm looking forward to start overlanding adventures but if you'll tell that it's better to start with something easier due to not enough experience - that's totally fine :).

Last edited:

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Hi!
New here (and to Overlanding to be honest, have attended solo only few easy trails and forest roads).
About myself - 32 YO, moved year ago to PNW (Seattle east-side area), work as an engineer.

Rig - Stock 5 gen 4runner (tires are AT KO2s):
View attachment 196339
Regarding equipment requirements - the only missing points are:
1) Front recovery points (I've read though that factory tie-down hooks on 4runner are welded through the frame and are very strong especially if used together)
2) GMRS (I do have Baofeng radio though).

Overlanding experiences - zero.

I'm looking forward to start overlanding adventures but if you'll tell that it's better to start with something easier due to not enough experience - that's totally fine :).
You will be fine. We are in it together and will help you out. Love to have you join us.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Is there a proposed Route map available?
Yes, the route is an official route. Your can, and should buy the Butler WABDR map. GPS routes are also available. I will locate and post them up here, but paper maps should be on hand as a back up.
However as long as we stick together a few copies is all we need.
If you are not skilled with paper maps, now would be a great time to learn.
The Butler map is well laid out and easy to read.