Washing with a snorkel

• HTML tutorial

sterling may

Rank 0

Contributor I

I have a factory snorkel on my tacoma and it came with a warning not to take it through any drive through car washes. I don't know if its regarding it being torn off or to prevent water from going down it. Is there any way I can take it through a car wash or am I stuck hand washing? Thanks.

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I have a factory snorkel on my tacoma and it came with a warning not to take it through any drive through car washes. I don't know if its regarding it being torn off or to prevent water from going down it. Is there any way I can take it through a car wash or am I stuck hand washing? Thanks.
Toyota has a factory snorkel?

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Probably a bit of both. I definitely wouldn’t take it through a traditional “brush” car wash, but you should be fine to take it through a “touchless/laser” wash. It can’t be worse than driving it in a downpour. I’m not sure how Toyota designed the factory snorkel, but I imagine it’s not a sealed/waterproof unit, rather more for looks and/or dust (meaning, I bet there is a drain hole prior to the air filter to prevent water from entering the engine). If you wanted to be extra careful, you could disconnect the snorkel from the air box in the engine bay and cover the snorkel with a bag. Again, only in a touchless/laser wash though.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

What reasons do you have for not being keen on a snorkel? I'm just curious as in Australia it's a no option accessory.
I should have added a winkie emoji as I wasn't really serious. However, here in the States, most *overland* vehicles (based on what I see in forum photos here and elsewhere) are vehicles that don't do much more than traverse dirt roads and stay in campgrounds. I know there are plenty who do more backcountry dispersed camping like I do but in nearly 50 years of doing this, I've never needed a snorkel on one of my vehicles. My guess is that here in America, many of the builds featuring snorkels are as much about the look as anything else.

Please, those of you who do serious off-road work and water crossings, I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about the guys who put them on for off-road virtue signaling. :grin: