Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Hey guys so I just launched my YouTube channel a few weeks ago in hopes to not only do product reviews but also film our trips. Now even though I have a digital background (computer animation degree) we did not deal with a whole lot of recording and editing. As of right now I have just used the YouTube included editing which is ok for simple stuff but will not be sufficient for trip reports.

I was curious what everyone is using to record their trips and what software they are using for editing. I am running a Dell XPS 13 which should be more than enough to handle the editing. Currently using my phone for recording.

Link to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Xpeditionoutfitters

-Raul

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

For editing I use Adobe Premiere Pro. It's relatively pricy, but it is an amazing editing tool.

I have not recorded any overlanding trips, but have used it with great success in videos for work.
So I already pay for photoshop and lightroom right now.. I can add premier to my monthly plan for about 30 bucks a month. my issue is will I have a huge learning curve to the point that I wont be able to use it. I used premier and after affects in college but that was 17 years ago and times have def changed...

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

my issue is will I have a huge learning curve to the point that I wont be able to use it. I used premier and after affects in college but that was 17 years ago and times have def changed...
Honestly for most basic editing, it isn't that hard to pick up. I highly recommend the Adobe Premiere Pro tutorials, and just general Youtube videos. It takes a little bit of practice, but it's definitely easier in my opinion to become quite competent in Premiere Pro vs Photoshop.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
iMovie and GoPro studio aren't horrible for simple movies. I am not a video guy though. Very time consuming to produce good content.

Reactions: Bananacooler

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

I have used iMovie in the past. However, I must preface this with; I am terrible at all things software related...

Travelatomoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Prince George, BC, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Riley
Member #

I'd like to start producing my own videos also.. have been recording a few bits and pieces on my Google Pixel phone it has a pretty good camera on it. I have been using a Jobi Gorrilapod bendable tripod with a shoulderpod phone holder. The Jobi Gorrilapod bends around anything you can think of and shoulderpod keeps the phone super secure. I've had both on the outside of the truck at highway speed and haven't lost my gear yet! As for editing I had a quick look on windows movie maker, it's pretty simple to use but will only produce simple videos. Good enough maybe to start out but definitely will need to look into purchasing better software.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I use Sony Vegas Pro to do the editing. I sometimes film stuff with my Phone (Samsung S5 neo), sometimes even make short clips with my Canon EOS 1100d but mainly use the GoPro 4 silver for my movies. Everything in car is filmed with that as well, only downside so far with the Sony Vegas version I use that it doesn't like the raw GoPro files so I have to change the file format first with the GoPro studio but thats not a real problem for me.

Reactions: Raul B

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I'd like to start producing my own videos also.. have been recording a few bits and pieces on my Google Pixel phone it has a pretty good camera on it. I have been using a Jobi Gorrilapod bendable tripod with a shoulderpod phone holder. The Jobi Gorrilapod bends around anything you can think of and shoulderpod keeps the phone super secure. I've had both on the outside of the truck at highway speed and haven't lost my gear yet! As for editing I had a quick look on windows movie maker, it's pretty simple to use but will only produce simple videos. Good enough maybe to start out but definitely will need to look into purchasing better software.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app
I have used movie maker before UT for some reason it's not available for Windows 10.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I am also using Windows 10 and have Windows movie maker on mine? Maybe do a search for it i bet you just might have it! :)
Did you upgrade to Windows 10 from a previous version? From the research I have done its not pre loaded on new devices and is only available when someone upgraded from a previous version.

I'm thinking of picking up Adobe premier elements.

Travelatomoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Adam
Last Name
Riley
Member #

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 from a previous version? From the research I have done its not pre loaded on new devices and is only available when someone upgraded from a previous version.

I'm thinking of picking up Adobe premier elements.

Oh right yeah i had windows 8 before and upgraded to 10 so thats why i must have it. Adobe Premiere seems like a good deal and it should produce good enough quality videos so it would definaty be worth it.

Travelatomoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Adam
Last Name
Riley
Member #

Adobe Elements Premiere is on sale from $99 to $60 until January 11th, im seriously considering this option. After a quick bit of research it seems like an all round good Beginner/Intermediate editing software with the option of upgrading to Elements Pro if you want to later on. Thanks @Raul B for suggesting this option!

Reactions: Raul B

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Adobe Elements Premiere is on sale from $99 to $60 until January 11th, im seriously considering this option. After a quick bit of research it seems like an all round good Beginner/Intermediate editing software with the option of upgrading to Elements Pro if you want to later on. Thanks @Raul B for suggesting this option!
Same reasons I'm thinking of picking it up too. Looks easy to use and its on sale :)

Dominic OB0158

US West Region Member Rep
Founder 500
Benefactor
Launch Member

Member II

Perris Ca
First Name
Dominic
Last Name
Moschetti
Member #

Hello Raul, Dominic here from our SoCal meet-up.

For basic editing, ease of use, and a short learning curve I would recommend iMovie. However, I know you are using PC...what type of phone are using? Do you have a tablet?

ManWithJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Aaa
Member #

Sony Vegas for me! I tried Adobe Premier but couldn't get the hang of it easily. Vegas is very powerful but a bit more intuitive in my opinion. If you're on a mac, then iMovie or Final Cut Pro would be your best option. If I had a mac I'd use Final Cut in a heartbeat. From a user-experience perspective it's just so much more intuitive to use.

GoldenStateAdv

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lompoc, Ca
Member #

I will start by saying I am a super novice, but its something I'm trying to persue as a hobby. I use a Nikon D3200, iPhone 6+, and a iPad 4 w/ a Makayama Movie mount. Tripods are a Amazon Basic and also now a Fancier fluid drag head which I got for Christmas. I use iMovie for editing but am also looking for something with a little more options.

Here are my first and second videos I ever made:

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

As a new dji Phantom 4 (drone) owner and complete newbie to video (some experience with dSLR) I find this thread worth its weight in gold!! I am trying to climb a steep learning curve in both drone piloting and video recording and editing. Looking forward to learning and getting out to fly and shoot as often as I can....

Thanks for a great thread!!

Reactions: Travelatomoverland