Utility lights, vehicle/base camp

• HTML tutorial
What's always on my mind is being able to have a well lit area around me wether it be in my tent, while I am setup camping at night around base camp or pulled over on the side of the road. Now currently i just acquired my roof/safari rack for my truck and am mounting it tomorrow and may have to reprint etc before I mount my tent and lights to it. What do people in general use around camp?

My current lighting for inside my RTT is a 12ft led strip that is powered from a 12v outlet in my truck that's setup to be a power supply. For camp I'm a thinking about picking up an adventure ready solar camp light from CVT, has a main light and 4 detachable pods.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: justin marsh
I just got my setup done to put my tent and annex up, I'll get my led strip up and see how bright they are, that cube would maybe do good but how long could you run 27w for? My local battery store Carys led strips and if the ones I have now are bright enough I may pick up some more and test them out for them.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Just ordered the color Lomidoodle last night. Hoping to try it out in a few weeks. Not a bad deal for $30.00

https://powerpractical.com/collections/lighting/products/luminoodle-color/URL] [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170425/bb078b2688f5948bac50e2dee83ab545.jpg[/IMG] Sent from my SM-T560NU using [URL=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=89362]OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Ozzie H

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Just ordered the color Lomidoodle last night. Hoping to try it out in a few weeks. Not a bad deal for $30.00

https://powerpractical.com/collections/lighting/products/luminoodle-color/URL] [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170425/bb078b2688f5948bac50e2dee83ab545.jpg[/IMG] Sent from my SM-T560NU using [URL=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=89362]OB Talk mobile app
Mail call today. Can't wait to try it out next week in Big Sur.

Sent from my MotoG3 using OB Talk mobile app

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I like my luminoodle, I just wish it wasn't bright white. I just bought a few strands of basic led christmas lights with green wires and a battery packs that I like a lot better…and it was cheaper.

This has become an unexpected recent favorite to have around (Coleman Quad), especially when I have others with me.

Got 4 of these for $50. They retail for some ridiculous price like $70 or something. I really like the magnetic legs but would never buy it for more than the 12 or so bucks I paid. Very bright tho...

Lately I've been wondering if something like this would be worth grabbing. A few of them with suction cups on the bottom to place around your truck would be cool. Motion detector too maybe? haha.

I may end up dropping some $$$ on this light, I've mentioned it before up top as the CVT Solar camp light, I may see if I can rent one and see how much I like it before I purchase one, because at almost $300 it's pricey but can be so useful. As well as a power input it also has an output to charge your phone to, the way it has the 4 detachable lights kinda wins me over since I'm always wandering off away from camp, from the solar charge you can also charge it from a power unit if need be so that's pretty useful, I'd still like to see how the perform before buying and dropping that money.

I like my luminoodle, I just wish it wasn't bright white. I just bought a few strands of basic led christmas lights with green wires and a battery packs that I like a lot better…and it was cheaper.

This has become an unexpected recent favorite to have around (Coleman Quad), especially when I have others with me.

Got 4 of these for $50. They retail for some ridiculous price like $70 or something. I really like the magnetic legs but would never buy it for more than the 12 or so bucks I paid. Very bright tho...

Lately I've been wondering if something like this would be worth grabbing. A few of them with suction cups on the bottom to place around your truck would be cool. Motion detector too maybe? haha.

I really like the solar light option, seems like it would be a good way to go and to be cheap on power withought running any gear to run lights, I'm a big fan of the whole ledstrips but the solar lights are what the future is holding I think.

We also have a couple of those ones on the stand they look pretty similar but mine are snap on brand and plug in, I can use one and the will light the whole campsight up but the down side is I'm running power out of my truck or a generator.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We have a couple old Coleman lanterns we've been using. It's not an amazing amount of light but supper is usually fixed and served by dark and you don't need an amazing amount of light to make s'mores or enjoy a few cold adult beverages. Night's for sleepin y'all!!!! :smile:

I do have a big 12v powered 12 million candle power spot light kinda thing that uses car headlight bulbs that we can use as a work light if something needs worked on and there are always flashlights and headlamps too.

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
I ran a pair of Black Diamond Voyager lanterns on my last trip and they were fantastic. For small lights they put out great light. I hung one under my RTT, and one under the awning on the other side of the truck and they were more than enough to light the camp. Bonus was they have a flashlight on the bottom so if you need to hit the head you can use it that way.

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
So I've been reading about these darn Luminoodles on different forums for a couple weeks now so I went on Amazon to see what all the fuss is about. They're awesome! They pack up really small and are really bright. I'm curious how long the battery pack will last, but it's LEDs so I figure it'll be good for at least a few hours at a time, and that's all I really need. I absolutely love that they can be mounted via magnets. I opened the rear door of the FJ and hung them off the door and they provide more than enough light to use while cooking (my rear door rack with fold down table should be here any day). I can also mount it to the side of the rig under the awning and have plenty of light for hanging out at night. Pretty neat addition to my kit.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

These turned out to be pretty bright, 12ft long I strung it around inside the tent and it lit it up, I had to turn the lights on around 1am and was surprised cause I was blinded for a while they were so bright in the middle of the night it was crazy. I'll defiantly be picking another strip up and maybe the light from CVT.

I use this to but bought a dimmer with a switch to wire in.