Rank III

Traveler III

Roseville, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Walley
Member #

Nice work. How do you like the Dinoot rack towers?
So far they're good. I mounted them to 1/8" thick, 2" angle iron with grade 8 bolts so they're very stable.

I was concerned after watching a YouTube video of someone who used them and had a very wobbly rack but I think his base was the issue.

lolzhax

Rank III

Traveler III

Roseville, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Walley
Member #

Made it all the way to Colorado. We're out in dispersed camping outside Silverton off the Million Dollar Highway.

The JK 3.6 is a dog but the trailer is handling it. This winter I think I'm going to ditch the old Toyota truck axle and use a trailer axle.

Attachments

Last edited:

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Great pictures! I love this build. I will agree though that the Pentastar is not the engine I thought it could still be at altitude with a trailer. It was so weak. Did you spend all your time in 3rd gear on the way up?

Any idea what your trailer weighs in at?

Reactions: lolzhax

lolzhax

Rank III

Traveler III

Roseville, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Walley
Member #

Great pictures! I love this build. I will agree though that the Pentastar is not the engine I thought it could still be at altitude with a trailer. It was so weak. Did you spend all your time in 3rd gear on the way up?

Any idea what your trailer weighs in at?
Hey sorry I didn't see your reply sooner. I did a little under 3k miles in total on the trip and only used 3rd gear while climbing hills when it bogged below 60mph. 4th gear was good on most the flat highways. 5th was only used for coasting down hill.

The main thing that helped was just trying to keep momentum and keeping a very close eye on engine coolant temp, I hit 245° a few times and had to just slow down to 40mph or pull off the road completely to cool down.

I run 35" tires and 4.56 Yukon gears. I'm not sure the trailer weight, it felt like I was towing an anchor uphill though. Lol