Enthusiast II

Crestline, CA, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Froman
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6PJL
Hello everyone. We are planning our honey moon trip to southern Utah. We are looking at visiting Capitol Reef, Bryce and Zion. In the first week of April. I was wondering if anybody had some camping advise for capitol reef. My fiance is a little freaked since the reserve sites disappeared real quick. Any advise or suggestions would be very helpful especially since it's kinda out of season

Thank you.
Don

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone. We are planning our honey moon trip to southern Utah. We are looking at visiting Capitol Reef, Bryce and Zion. In the first week of April. I was wondering if anybody had some camping advise for capitol reef. My fiance is a little freaked since the reserve sites disappeared real quick. Any advise or suggestions would be very helpful especially since it's kinda out of season

Thank you.
Don
Don, this is a good question for the trip forum planing page also.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
Go to the NPS website for Capital Reef and go to the "camping" section. From there you will see "camping alternatives" and this will give info on other areas that are close by to camp.

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Let me know what kind of things you want to do/see Don, I live in southern utah and grew up exploring all of the national parks around.

jimmynotjim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

We went to Capitol Reef at peak and it was definitely packed but packed there is nothing like the larger parks. My advice would be to get there as early as you can. I think the last site was taken about 6pm, but the better sites were already snagged when we got there about 2 or 3. Good luck, Utah is amazing and Capitol Reef is such and under appreciated park.

donald froman

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Crestline, CA, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Froman
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6PJL
We went to Capitol Reef at peak and it was definitely packed but packed there is nothing like the larger parks. My advice would be to get there as early as you can. I think the last site was taken about 6pm, but the better sites were already snagged when we got there about 2 or 3. Good luck, Utah is amazing and Capitol Reef is such and under appreciated park.
Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the late response still figuring out forms. We just got back and it was an amazing trip 20190331_191600.jpeg20190331_191623.jpeg20190403_142904.jpegIMG_20190408_162004_274.jpeg

Craftman2

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Member #

Did you see Cathedral Valley? IMO that's the best spot to camp in Capitol Reef - there's a small site about halfway through an offroad loop that takes you past the Temple of the Sun. It's generally too steep and narrow for RVs so there is usually space there.

donald froman

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Crestline, CA, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Froman
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6PJL
Did you see Cathedral Valley? IMO that's the best spot to camp in Capitol Reef - there's a small site about halfway through an offroad loop that takes you past the Temple of the Sun. It's generally too steep and narrow for RVs so there is usually space there.
That sounds awesome. We reserved a camp site in the park. She didn't want to "rough" it to much for the honeymoon. Next time I will keep that in mind