Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

So I dabbled with using OB 1 as my iPhone map app while doing some backroad driving around our county today. Usually I use Haia GPS anytime I drive.

A couple items: I used this not to track but to explore. So I drove, saw a road, looked at the map and saw where it may go. The challenge was to do this I kept having to open my iPhone. Gaia does not allow the phone to lock but this app does. Did I miss a setting? (iPhone 11 with latest OB1 and latest iOS updates.)

Is there a way to have a broader selection of maps or map layers? There is a lot of great info but land use and maybe more terrain info could help.

Thanks for the really good app.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So I dabbled with using OB 1 as my iPhone map app while doing some backroad driving around our county today. Usually I use Haia GPS anytime I drive.

A couple items: I used this not to track but to explore. So I drove, saw a road, looked at the map and saw where it may go. The challenge was to do this I kept having to open my iPhone. Gaia does not allow the phone to lock but this app does. Did I miss a setting? (iPhone 11 with latest OB1 and latest iOS updates.)

Is there a way to have a broader selection of maps or map layers? There is a lot of great info but land use and maybe more terrain info could help.

First the phone screen turning off issue. This is an app setting, go to settings scroll down to “Prevent App Sleep” and move the slider to the right.
0B23CCEC-7DA6-4E3A-9685-31A0A70BF0DB.jpeg

Your second issue is the “Layers” icon on the map pages. You can also toggle between “Adventure “, Satellite, and Road maps at the very top of the layer screen.

Frdmskr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

First the phone screen turning off issue. This is an app setting, go to settings scroll down to “Prevent App Sleep” and move the slider to the right.
View attachment 239887

Your second issue is the “Layers” icon on the map pages. You can also toggle between “Adventure “, Satellite, and Road maps at the very top of the layer screen.
Thanks. I thought it was a setting I missed and sure enough it was.

I am thinking different maps like Gaia. I have different maps displayed depending what I am doing. I know this app has satellite and hybrid, but was not sure if I could integrate completely different map sources in like Gaia.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks. I thought it was a setting I missed and sure enough it was.

I am thinking different maps like Gaia. I have different maps displayed depending what I am doing. I know this app has satellite and hybrid, but was not sure if I could integrate completely different map sources in like Gaia.
They are there as overlays.

Frdmskr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

So I tried changing the setting in the app. I have no setting I am seeing on the iPhone under its settings. I am still having the screen time out when using it to explore rather than get directions. Thoughts?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So I tried changing the setting in the app. I have no setting I am seeing on the iPhone under its settings. I am still having the screen time out when using it to explore rather than get directions. Thoughts?
What version of the app are you on?

Frdmskr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

What version of the app are you on?
11.11.2.1000 (if I copied that correctly)

Reactions: M Rose