deeve

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hillsboro, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1PNW
Hello, I think the answer is yes, but I have not actually found a for sure answer. I have an iPad wifi only without a GPS receiver. I was looking at getting Dual Electronics XGPS150A as a receiver to use with the iPad. I mostly am using GAIA right now, but do flip between different nav apps. If I was to get an InReach or SpotX would I be able to use those as a GPS receiver through the iPad for whichever app I choose? If so, does the device need to have a plan to work in that configuration?

Thanks!
DAVE

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Can't speak to the Spot, but I pair my iPad to my InReach via bluetooth. My iPad does have the gps chip but if it loses it's position it will rely on the position provided by the InReach. The added advantage is using the Earhtmate app instead of the small screen and limited controls of the InReach to send messages. Hope this helps.

Reactions: tundra21

xplorr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

@deeve, I've seen a lot of positive recommendations for the Dual XGPS150A. Personally, though, I decided I wanted to have track logging directly on my GPS device so that it would be power-on and forget and not have to worry about saving a track log in an app on my phone/tablet. With that in mind, I narrowed my search down to the Dual XGPS160 and the Bad Elf Pro (both $150). At that higher price point, I started weighing future plans and decided to put that money towards a Garmin inReach Mini. It sounds like you are going through a similar decision process. I cannot say 100% that the inReach Mini will give you Bluetooth GPS functionality without a subscription, but I would hope so. I started a subscription immediately, so did not test without it activated. No experience with SpotX.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I used to run a Dual 150 with my WiFi only iPad but have been using an InReach for a year and a half or so. I had researched it prior to purchase and the answer is no. The InReach will not work without an active subscription.

02FC1764-1961-4477-A0C3-2CD108FA77D7.jpeg

deeve

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hillsboro, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1PNW
Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. Too bad you cannot use the InReach just as a GPS receiver without the subscription though. I head out in very remote areas once a year or so. Most of my trips are close enough that I can use other, easier means of communication.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. Too bad you cannot use the InReach just as a GPS receiver without the subscription though. I head out in very remote areas once a year or so. Most of my trips are close enough that I can use other, easier means of communication.
No problem. Wish I had a better answer for you. The InReach is obviously awesome as a satellite communicator and there are few things that can replace that, none free. If you subscribe to the freedom plan you are free to suspend service and then resume. The monthly charges are slightly higher but if you only use it sparingly it might be a good fit.

Reactions: deeve

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
I used to run a Dual 150 with my WiFi only iPad but have been using an InReach for a year and a half or so. I had researched it prior to purchase and the answer is no. The InReach will not work without an active subscription.

View attachment 85778
I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. It may be, just not sure. My InReach subscription is currently inactive. I use the subscription that lets you activate for a month at a time using which ever level that suits your upcoming needs.

I just paired my InReach with my iPad. The gps portion of the system appears fully functional, shows the current position on the InReach screen and is transmitting position information to the iPad as shown on the Earthmate app. Obviously the tracking and communication features aren't available.

Remember, InReach uses two different sets of satellites. The gps constellation (US government satellites) provides positioning information and doesn't require any kind of subscription for any gpsr device. The communication function of InReach uses Iridium satellites (commercial satellites) just like sat phones and that does require a subscription of some sort.

The reason I am unsure is my iPad has the gps receiver chip in it. Thus I can not be 100%. If I had a non-gps iPad to test with I'd be more confident. But having used Garmin handheld devices with bluetooth paired with non gps capable devices in the past, I am fairly confident the InReach will provide positioning data either with or without an active subscription.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. It may be, just not sure. My InReach subscription is currently inactive. I use the subscription that lets you activate for a month at a time using which ever level that suits your upcoming needs.

I just paired my InReach with my iPad. The gps portion of the system appears fully functional, shows the current position on the InReach screen and is transmitting position information to the iPad as shown on the Earthmate app. Obviously the tracking and communication features aren't available.

Remember, InReach uses two different sets of satellites. The gps constellation (US government satellites) provides positioning information and doesn't require any kind of subscription for any gpsr device. The communication function of InReach uses Iridium satellites (commercial satellites) just like sat phones and that does require a subscription of some sort.

The reason I am unsure is my iPad has the gps receiver chip in it. Thus I can not be 100%. If I had a non-gps iPad to test with I'd be more confident. But having used Garmin handheld devices with bluetooth paired with non gps capable devices in the past, I am fairly confident the InReach will provide positioning data either with or without an active subscription.
When I had inquired before purchasing my Delorme I was told by them that it would not function but that may very well have been false. I'd like to think that it was just a mistake on their part but who knows these days. I just looked into it again and found a couple instances of the GPS portion still functioning and an article stating this..

"To use the Explorer+ topographic maps and the SE+ grid map, the devices must be activated initially but do not need an active service subscription. In this sense, they could be considered GPS units with inReach functionality."

deeve

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hillsboro, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1PNW
I should probably just try it and see how it works. In the meantime, I found a good price on a NIB Dual XGPS160 until I figure things out.

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
So my cute neighbor had an old iPad Mini that was wifi only. Bluetooth paired it with my InReach which currently does not have an active subscription. Used the standard Map app that comes on the tablet and took it for a drive miles away from any wifi signal. The position was extremely accurate.

Now I get to return the iPad to the cute neighbor. I love overlanding science projects!

K1mj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Kayvan
Last Name
Zadeh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YEB
I use Garmin Glo GPS receiver. It is around $90 and I pair it to my iPad or Android tablet ( both are WiFi only) via Bluetooth. And it works. It sends the gps coordinates and Gaia receives it and shows it on the map. No setup needed. It works flawlessly 90% of the time. There has been one sitation when I was not getting any GPS data when I was in backcountry Oregon. I never found out what the problem was back there. It started working again next day.

Reactions: Norcaldude707

StokelyVanCamp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

For what it’s worth, i run a Dual 150 paired with a wifi only iPad mini. I use x-motion for offline maps and this combo tracks routes very well. Accuracy is good. Loading the offline maps is slow, but very nice detail. I wasn’t too keen on subscriptions, so liked that you buy the Dual and you’re done. I’d used x-motion for hiking with an iPhone many years ago, so am a bit partial.3303C969-DDD7-496E-B372-9DDFA482E879.jpeg

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hello, I think the answer is yes, but I have not actually found a for sure answer. I have an iPad wifi only without a GPS receiver. I was looking at getting Dual Electronics XGPS150A as a receiver to use with the iPad. I mostly am using GAIA right now, but do flip between different nav apps. If I was to get an InReach or SpotX would I be able to use those as a GPS receiver through the iPad for whichever app I choose? If so, does the device need to have a plan to work in that configuration?

Thanks!
DAVE
Never tried the Inreach way, but I do run the Dual external GPS receiver and love it... It works perfectly..

deeve

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hillsboro, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1PNW
I found a Dual XGPS160 and it works great. At first for some reason it would not stay paired with my Ipad 9.7, but it somehow got squared away. It works very nice. Now I just need a mount for it in my JK. I am trying to find a good spot that it out of the airbag way, but easy to see without taking my eyes too far off the road.

Retinens803

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
CJC
Last Name
CJC
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BMJ
For what it’s worth, i run a Dual 150 paired with a wifi only iPad mini. I use x-motion for offline maps and this combo tracks routes very well. Accuracy is good. Loading the offline maps is slow, but very nice detail. I wasn’t too keen on subscriptions, so liked that you buy the Dual and you’re done. I’d used x-motion for hiking with an iPhone many years ago, so am a bit partial.View attachment 91927
How do you have the tablet mounted? I like that location!