Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
I'm new to using the GAIA app but was playing with it today while on an airplane from San Jose to LA. I thought it was supposed to be able to use the GPS even without cell service to track a route. I started recording a track during take off in San Jose. My location icon didn't move from San Jose until I landed in LA and got cell service. In reviewing much of the on-line GAIA help videos, my understanding was that it would even work in airplane mode.

I didn't download any of the maps for the route but I thought it would plot a general course on the CA outline that come up on the app.

It seemed like the day before on a similar trip, it was routing and even showing the altitude of the plane.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Gaia has no issues continuing to record with no cell signal. I suspect your issue was with GPS reception inside the airplane. Since a metal tube is not dissimilar to a Faraday cage, I suspect you were not able to get a decent GPS connection from inside the plane. If you held your device against the window you may have had better luck.

To prove to yourself that it works in airplane mode *outside* of an airplane, put your device in airplane mode, start recording a track, and walk around on your driveway or a parking lot. You should see it properly recording, even if you haven't downloaded any offline maps yet.

FWIW: I almost always have my phone in airplane mode when we're out exploring since it saves considerable amount of battery. GPS always still works for me, and Gaia always still records correctly.

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
Yes, I'm sure that's it. Total newbie to GPS and didn't realize the fuselage could cause that issue. I may have been sitting in the window seat the day before when it was working.

Do I have to worry while in-vehicle?

Thanks

Reactions: Harriss Vann

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Nah, in-vehicle it should work fine. Most of us tend to mount ours on or near the dashboard, too, which typically has a nice clear view through the windshield.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
If you see it is not working trying turning on your cell service, see Gaia activate the GPS and then turn your phone back to airplane mode.

For some reason I am in airplanes a lot and this usually works. At least on my iPhones.

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
Thanks for the inputs. I’ll give that a try next time. I’m in Tahoe this weekend with the truck and did Sourdough Hill via the end of the Rubicon. Gaia worked great. Now I need a iPad and mount so I’m not fumbling for the phone.

SOLVEFUNCTION

Rank V

Steward II

San Mateo, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Lim
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6ETO
Thanks for the inputs. I’ll give that a try next time. I’m in Tahoe this weekend with the truck and did Sourdough Hill via the end of the Rubicon. Gaia worked great. Now I need a iPad and mount so I’m not fumbling for the phone.
If you use an iPad check if it has gps. The wifi only don't have gps, the cell service ones do. You can bluetooth gps to the iPad if needed with phone, dual, bad elf or tom tom if old enough.

St8ton

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salisbury, NC
Member #

I've been using the Dual Electronics XGPS 160 receiver paired with an iPad Air (wifi only model) for over a year and it has been flawless. The small compact unit just sits tight on my dash in the rubber mount provided. Signal is excellent and I've been many places where cell signal isn't available. I highly recommend the Dual xGPS 160

Timothy Vrieling

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Fontana, CA
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Vrieling
Member #

I have been using Garmin Inreach for GPS and GAIA Maps for mapping. Really works well. With the GAIA on a tablet you can save a map section to the device while you have wifi than pull it up as a fixed map on the trail. The blue tooth linked Garmin tracks perfectly on the map. No cell connection required. GAIA has many map options including satellite imagery that you can save to use as a fixed map or overlay on top of each other. The hardest part is figuring out how big an area you want mapped, little bit of planning and guessing required there.

Reactions: xplorr

#slowlaneJKU

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Cumming, GA
First Name
James
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4LPZ
We use Gaia with a mini iPad4 with cell service on a ram mount while in the Jeep. Download the trail map on the way to the trail if you forget to do it before you leave the house like we do. It downloaded 5 layers in under 10 minutes while we were airing downTray Mtn Gaia trip 10-27-2018.jpg .

Jimmy Dale

Rank II
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Greenwell Springs, Central, LA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Nicholson
Member #

We use Gaia with a mini iPad4 with cell service on a ram mount while in the Jeep. Download the trail map on the way to the trail if you forget to do it before you leave the house like we do. It downloaded 5 layers in under 10 minutes while we were airing downView attachment 74184 .
What mount is that on the oh shit bar? I have a similar setup. I’m beside myself that we finally got waze to work with apple car. Wish Gaia worked on the alpine. IMG_8551.jpg

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

I'm betting that airplane mode turned off location services. When I go outside of the service area I use airplane mode to turn off all radios and then enable location services.

Especially if I leave the vehicle to go hiking. Those radios eat a ton of power.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
We use Gaia with a mini iPad4 with cell service on a ram mount while in the Jeep. Download the trail map on the way to the trail if you forget to do it before you leave the house like we do. It downloaded 5 layers in under 10 minutes while we were airing downView attachment 74184 .
How is that grab bar clamp working for you? Was looking to get one for my Jeep but I have heard it has issues, especially on rocky/bumpy trails.

Jeep15631

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Benton County, Iowa, United States
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Mell
Member #

I want to confirm that if an IPad is a cell capable device that as long as the location services is turned on the GPS function will work? No cell plan is required to use the GPS function.

Jeep15631

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Benton County, Iowa, United States
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Mell
Member #

The GPS does work even without signal, but to be sure I bought the Duel GPS spot! It works awesome!
Thanks for the response. I'm getting more confidence in my future setup. Now I need to determine if I want to get the Apple mini 4 (which was manufactured in 2015) or something newer/bigger for navigation. I ordered the vector bar for my JK and hopefully it will be in soon. I'm planning on installing Gaia and using the Trans America trail .GPX file. Hopefully most of the roads are open this coming May! Going from Utah to Oregon.

Reactions: Magic Mike

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Thanks for the response. I'm getting more confidence in my future setup. Now I need to determine if I want to get the Apple mini 4 (which was manufactured in 2015) or something newer/bigger for navigation. I ordered the vector bar for my JK and hopefully it will be in soon. I'm planning on installing Gaia and using the Trans America trail .GPX file. Hopefully most of the roads are open this coming May! Going from Utah to Oregon.
I’m running Gia and think I have the Air 2 IPad from 2016 (128GB) and it works awesome. My eyes are not what they use to be, so they like the bigger screen.

IMG_7447.JPGIMG_7436.JPG