Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The Mobilinkd TNC is connected to the Kenwood (TM-71A) through a 6-pin connection to the radio's 'DATA' port. The cable is available from Mobilinked. You connect the tablet to the TNC via bluetooth. I have the TNC stored in my center console of my Land Cruiser and power it via the 12v plug in the console. The TNC is programmed to turn on when 12v power is applied and turn off when 12v power is removed. I stuck the TNC in there 3 years ago and haven't touched it since.

I use APRS Droid to control and see the APRS messaging. Unfortunately, it is not an iOS app.
The new TNC3 works with IOS, where as the TNC 2 is Android/PC...

HaVeeBear

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Elkridge, Maryland, United States
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Armendariz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3VWL
The club I ride with is using CB with no plans to change, so I'm going to install CB in the cab , but I would like to avoid having to install multiple antennas. Would I be able to use a CB antenna (which is longer) with a GMRS or HAM transceiver? Or, is there a mount that can host either antenna (one-at-a-time, not at the same time)? is a specific coax required from the mount to the rig for either type of radio?

Great info on this thread. Thanks!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The club I ride with is using CB with no plans to change, so I'm going to install CB in the cab , but I would like to avoid having to install multiple antennas. Would I be able to use a CB antenna (which is longer) with a GMRS or HAM transceiver? Or, is there a mount that can host either antenna (one-at-a-time, not at the same time)? is a specific coax required from the mount to the rig for either type of radio?

First a 1/4 wave CB antenna is 102” a 1/2 wave GMRS antenna is apx 14”. So the CB antenna won’t work for GMRS (or vice versa).
GMRS, Amateur Radio, and CB all use the same coax, so nothing special needed there. You could get a NMO antenna mount to run several different antennas from one single mount, but you are going to have to get a switch to change between radios.

you don’t mention what your rig is. Last option (and probably the one I would do in your situation) is get a mag mount CB antenna and a mag mount dual band 2m/70cm 5/8 wave antenna. The dual band antenna will work for both GMRS and the VHF/UHF portion of the amateur radio bands.

Last edited:
Reactions: HaVeeBear

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS

You'll need more than one antenna. Install an NMO mount and get an NMO CB antenna. I have a Browning BR-140 which is a CB antenna with a NMO base. It's a whip style antenna and I've drug it through some heavy underbrush and it's take being bent quite a bit.

I do typically use my dual band HAM radio antenna for GMRS. It's not perfect but gets the job done.

When I'm up in the Ouchitas in really tight quarters with trees I remove that Dual Band ham antenna and put a UHF commercial band 6 or so inch 1/4 antenna on for GMRS use. That keeps it from getting damaged by trees.

Antennas take up very little space. I put mine between the edge of the body and seat on the driver's side of my XJ and you don't really notice they are there. With the NMO antenna mount you can screw them on and off in very little time so swapping as needed isn't a huge deal.

First a 1/4 wave CB antenna is 102” a 1/2 wave GMRS antenna is apx 38”. So the CB antenna won’t work for GMRS (or vice versa).
38 inch GMRS antenna would be more like 2x 5/8ths wave. A 1/2 wave GMRS antenna should be about 12ish inches long.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

You'll need more than one antenna. Install an NMO mount and get an NMO CB antenna. I have a Browning BR-140 which is a CB antenna with a NMO base. It's a whip style antenna and I've drug it through some heavy underbrush and it's take being bent quite a bit.

I do typically use my dual band HAM radio antenna for GMRS. It's not perfect but gets the job done.

When I'm up in the Ouchitas in really tight quarters with trees I remove that Dual Band ham antenna and put a UHF commercial band 6 or so inch 1/4 antenna on for GMRS use. That keeps it from getting damaged by trees.

Antennas take up very little space. I put mine between the edge of the body and seat on the driver's side of my XJ and you don't really notice they are there. With the NMO antenna mount you can screw them on and off in very little time so swapping as needed isn't a huge deal.

First a 1/4 wave CB antenna is 102” a 1/2 wave GMRS antenna is apx 38”. So the CB antenna won’t work for GMRS (or vice versa).
38 inch GMRS antenna would be more like 2x 5/8ths wave. A 1/2 wave GMRS antenna should be about 12ish inches long.
Yes… you are right… but he also mentioned Ham which I assume is 2m. So needs a dual band which generally is about 38” long for a 1/2 wave on 2m, with a trap at 12”

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Yes… you are right… but he also mentioned Ham which I assume is 2m. So needs a dual band which generally is about 38” long for a 1/2 wave on 2m, with a trap at 12”
a 1/2 wave GMRS antenna is apx 38”
I'm just reading the words you wrote man. That's all.