US Border Crossing Tip

• HTML tutorial

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

I wanted to share a tip based on my recent border crossing coming back into the US from Mexico at Mexicali West. The online map apps, like Apple or Google Maps, always take you on the quickest route, which is usually through the SENTRI lanes. These require membership in a special program and come with the the potential of a hefty fine if you're not enrolled.* Once you're in those lanes, it's impossible to legally get out.

So rather than set your destination to someplace on the other side of the border, research ahead of time and pin a spot close to the lanes you want to be at. In Mexicali, the SENTRI lanes and the general lanes are many blocks apart. Navigate to your pin and get in the right line.

* We were threatened with fines of $5,000 per person, told to turn around and drive into oncoming traffic to get out of the SENTRI area. Based on research since then, it seems more likely that we would have just been given a stern talking to and a warning, but we didn't know that at the time.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

If you use Mexicali east. It's always open, the sentri and the ready lane are right next to each other and you can choose the right one very easily. There also are more lanes so it is very fast. I have a Sentri and always use the east crossing if going through Mexicali.
If you do use the west entrance, just as you hit the boarder you need to turn right and and figure out how to get to the ready lane on the east side. You can see the bride just before you get locked into the Sentri lane.

RangerBill

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA
Member #

If you use Mexicali east. It's always open, the sentri and the ready lane are right next to each other and you can choose the right one very easily. There also are more lanes so it is very fast. I have a Sentri and always use the east crossing if going through Mexicali.
If you do use the west entrance, just as you hit the boarder you need to turn right and and figure out how to get to the ready lane on the east side. You can see the bride just before you get locked into the Sentri lane.
Thanks for the tip! We were watching to wait times and they were the same at east and west when we came through, so we (stupidly) just followed the directions on my phone. It's a good lesson for next time.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Same issues in Texas as you cross back to get into El Paso, Del Rio, McAllen or Brownsville. I use my phone to get me to the bridges and them watch for the signs for the lanes to get into.
About the only place in Mexico that Cash isn't King are at the bridges.