San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
Okay, I'm trying to do my part testing out the app, and by posting useful information. Today, I went out and drove up Black Mtn Truck trail, basically in Ramona, California.

There was already a trail marker, pinned at a roundabout about 2/3 way up, where a closed gate likely stopped the author's progress.

I began recording a Trail on my ascent, but beginning at a trail junction that's "technically", rather than functionally, the beginning of Black Mtn. Truck Trail. I drove all the way to the top, beyond the end of the other track listed. We had a great lunch up there. Heck, I'll post a photo because I can. Anyway, I was able to upload it from up on top, and it's showing in the map. I've also added a "campsite" tag for the spot in the photo attached hereto, and that's showing on the map.

Okay, now to descend, I started a New Track, and recorded the entire route, all the way down to the Functional Trailhead, at Pamo Road. I named it, saved it and then... since we were down at the bottom, I got a message from the App indicating that we'd lost signal, the file wasn't lost and it would be uploaded later. We got signal on the way home, ahhh Pandora... and I'm home now, with all kinds o' signal. That track hasn't shown up, and I cannot find it in my App.

So, questions: is the second file "Lost" (it's the better one, too), or is it saved somewhere on my phone that will allow me to salvage/recover it? Was the second one automatically rejected for redundancy, but without an error message to warn me?

Attachments

Reactions: Michael

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
Alright, so I recorded another gpx route yesterday, saved it with a photo and named it related to Nate Harrison Grade near Mt. Palomar observatory.

Just as before, I received a message that my file was saved and would be uploaded when I reacquired signal, which I did about five minutes later.

I do not see that it uploaded, and I'm not sure where to look to find it on my phone.

Pixel 6 Pro, Android 12

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Alright, so I recorded another gpx route yesterday, saved it with a photo and named it related to Nate Harrison Grade near Mt. Palomar observatory.

Just as before, I received a message that my file was saved and would be uploaded when I reacquired signal, which I did about five minutes later.

I do not see that it uploaded, and I'm not sure where to look to find it on my phone.

Pixel 6 Pro, Android 12
Thank you for your help!

If you have the latest version of the app, which is 11.3.0 it is intended that even if the track is not uploaded, you see it immediately in your app. You can find the app version here and I would be interested which version you have.
1642183317794.png
I found a couple locations but with no GPX, and not your truck - so probably not yours.

Can you look in your "My Locations" list in that same slide out menu. Any location that has not yet been uploaded will be at the top. Do you see yours?

let me know what version you have when you get a sec.

Thanks again!

M

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I'm wondering if we have an issue uploading tracks if disconnected. That was tested recently with success - but it seems to be the issue you are having. I'm curious if your recorded track is showing in "My Locations" on your app.

1642184022234.png

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Can you provide your Phone Type and Operating system version?

On other thing, could you try logging out of the app, and logging back on to see if that triggers an upload? Thank you!

M

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
Okay,
I am on a Pixel 6 Pro, using Android 12 November update (there's an issue with Dec. , so I held it off)
My OB1 software is 11.2.2.0111, following a delete/reinstall on Tues, Jan 11th
My Locations *has* the "Black Mtn Truck Trail" file. showing a last update of 09 Jan 2022. This file isn't in the App (but the "Top of Black Mtn Truck Trail" is.)
My Locations does *not* have the "Nate Harrison Grade" file that I saved and tried to upload on Jan 11th
I've just done another logout/login.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
OK - I see Black Mtn Truck Trail in the app, but the GPX is not showing. I'm going to look into that one first and see what's up.

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
OK - I see Black Mtn Truck Trail in the app, but the GPX is not showing. I'm going to look into that one first and see what's up.
I may be contributing to confusion with the locations I've chosen: there were already trailhead entries for both Black Mtn and Nate Harrison Grade. I attempted to "improve upon them" by recording new, full GPX tracks and, in the case of Black Mtn, two of them: one more complete than the other. This first of those, which was recorded climbing from the point it shows, is "Black Mtn Truck Trail", has a cover photo and my GPX. The pre-exisiting trail file is entitled "Black Mountain Truck Trail", has no GPX and no cover photo.

The "missing" GPX was entitled "Black Mtn Truck Trail Complete", and was recorded moving downhill from the top of the road (near the summit shown on the Topo), all the way down to Pamo Rd. When I saved it, it showed the whole route, full mileage, and I added a cover shot just before I got the "will upload later" message.

In terms of Nate Harrison Grade, there's also a "trail entry", but without GPX. So, I recorded an ascent from the point where dirt starts to the top, where it rejoins pavement. Right there, at the darn top, I lost signal and got the saved/upload later message, but there's nothing I can see saved in my phone.

Last edited:

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
Okay, just an update: I still cannot find the GPX routes I saved in my phone, and now at least one of them is no longer on the online map.

Bonus Round: there was a message that popped in the App outlining the new features, including how to import GPX from elsewhere, I believe. Is there someplace I can revisit that? I'd like to figure out how to import a GPX to the App.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Okay, just an update: I still cannot find the GPX routes I saved in my phone, and now at least one of them is no longer on the online map.

Bonus Round: there was a message that popped in the App outlining the new features, including how to import GPX from elsewhere, I believe. Is there someplace I can revisit that? I'd like to figure out how to import a GPX to the App.
I would check here and if your question is not already answered, Ask it : Ask About OB1, The Overland Bound App