US Rocky Mountain Uintas, Ashley NF, Flaming Gorge, Bridger-Teton NF, Wind River Basin in May

• HTML tutorial

EffinNewGuy

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Greenville, SC
First Name
S
Last Name
B
Member #

So, I'm planning a camping/fishing trip with my brothers (one lives in Wisconsin, the other in Rapid City, SD) for the spring. One definitely wants to hit the trout spawning runs in Flaming Gorge in May. The other is down for whatever. Me, I want to camp in the some places with tremendous views and nice moderate level hikes. We aren't planning on any extensive hiking trips. My main goal is to have as much dispersed camping as possible. It will be about 4 days in northeastern Utah and central to western Wyoming, followed up by a day in Yellowstone, then wrapping the trip up in SD for a day or two.

I would like to visit the high Uintas if possible, but I'm realistic that there could still be considerable snow pack. Same with higher elevations in Wyoming.

I've been researching the crap out of places to camp, things to do, etc. But I wanted to ask you all about the weather in early May. What should we expect? Should we wait until June?

Reactions: FishinCrzy

Wyotroutguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Utah
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

A lot of high uinta access is closed until end of may/ early June typically, unless you plan on sticking to pavement.

EffinNewGuy

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Greenville, SC
First Name
S
Last Name
B
Member #

@Wyotroutguy that's kind of what I figured. Since we're only spending two days in the area, I didn't expect a lot of access to remote areas. As long as we can find some dispersed camping in the northeastern parts of Ashley NF or near Flaming Gorge, I'll be happy. I've already ID'd a few candidate locations on the MVUM, Gaia, and Google Earth imagery. I'd be extremely grateful if you can recommend a couple locations also. You can PM them to me.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@EffinNewGuy

Don't miss fishing Wind River between Boysen Res and Thermoplis WY. I recommend getting a guide from the wind River Res. over the commercial shops in either Shoshoni or Thermoplis. They will take you to the best fishing spots. Last I was up there in 2017 anyone inside the Wind River Indian Reservation needed to purchase a Wind River Tribal Fishing/Trespass Permit. Did not matter if you were fishing or hiking. Tribal Game and Fish Department can provide current info regarding needed permits, 307-332-7207.

There are Walleye in Boysen Res, IIRC May is a good time to catch them if you like chartered boat fishing. IIRC the charter we talked to was Lip Rippers 5 Pike Cir Shoshoni, WY 82649 (307) 876-2345

DO NOT SPEED IN SHOSHONI WY! Any time I've been there the whole town was a speed trap.

Good fishin!
Boort

EffinNewGuy

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Greenville, SC
First Name
S
Last Name
B
Member #

@Boort What about fishing/dispersed camping between Dubois and the Tetons? I spent a few weeks doing a geology mapping project based out of Dubois back in 2007. My memory is a little hazy.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Boort What about fishing/dispersed camping between Dubois and the Tetons? I spent a few weeks doing a geology mapping project based out of Dubois back in 2007. My memory is a little hazy.

I've not done much dispersed camping in that stretch. I usually camp at the Lizard Creek CG at the N. end of Jackson Lake, or up the FS roads past Atherton Creek CG

I do remember stopping at Brooks Lake for some milky-way shooting locations over the pinnicles. The lake is just north of that stretch there are 2 FS CG's at the lake and there were a few dispersed campgrounds past the lake on the East side along the creek that feeds the lake. Not sure they'd be passable in May/June. we went up that way to try and get a good picture of the taller northern pinnacle formations, best views were 1-2 miles up the the hiking trail on the west side of the lake. The middle and southern buttes were nice from the road.

Boort